• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

4th Space E

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brl2833

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: 4th Space E Reply with quote

I took a couple years off the horn and now that I have picked it back up, I have noticed that my 4th space E is REALLY flat. So flat that that I play it 1-2 rather than open. I realize that note is usually a flat note, but it never was this flat. Anyone else have that issue?
Carolina Crown 3C Mouthpiece
Marcinkiewicz Roger Ingram Mouthpiece
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 4th Space E Reply with quote

brl2833 wrote:
I took a couple years off the horn and now that I have picked it back up, I have noticed that my 4th space E is REALLY flat. So flat that that I play it 1-2 rather than open. I realize that note is usually a flat note, but it never was this flat. Anyone else have that issue?

Yes, 4th space E can be very flat. When I am playing with an orchestra I very often play that E 1-2, and I play the E an octave lower 3rd valve. That seems to work in an Orchestra but not so much in a jazz band.
Flip Oakes Flugel

Harrelson 5mm MP
trumpet.trader
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Often players have the tuning slide out so far, as they’re trying to get a darker sound, or staring a a tuner and some notes are sharp and just compensating too much.

Then the naturally flat notes are wayyyyy flat.

I’d try pushing in, playing lower on the pitches and you might notice those Ds, Ebs and Es are closer to where they should be.

And use your ears and not the tuner!!
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can't rely on a tuner when playing with an ensemble, but a tuner is an excellent tool to help learn/solidify where pitch centers should be when practicing, especially when we have no other harmonic reference. It adds visual feedback to what we hear with our ears and feel with our chops. It helps keep us from training ourselves to play out of tune. If we train ourselves to generally hit the center of the note, adjustments to tune the chord will be minimal.
Flip Oakes Flugel

Harrelson 5mm MP
Morogan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4th space E played open or only 3rd valve is, on most trumpets, typically between 5 to 15 cents flat. I think that most players that are actively playing a lot tend to naturally compensate by lipping up based on muscle memory. I noticed similar things when I came back to playing after a long hiatus because my embouchure had forgotten a lot of these little nuances and I tended to slot where trumpet physics wanted me to go. After getting back into the swing of things, things got back to normal.

By the way, both 1+2 and 1+2+3 are going to typically be closer in tune on that particular note, but they can obviously be a bit cumbersome depending on the material. I suggest hanging in there for a bit and revisiting this note later to see if you resume naturally compensating.

One other thing you might want to look into if this remains an issue is your mouthpiece gap which can affect how the partials line up. Much less effective in my opinion, but sometimes slightly helpful nonetheless, would be a backbore change.
conn53victor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 4th Space E Reply with quote

brl2833 wrote:

A Facebook friend posted, “So much crap to worry about today”

So I replied, “You think YOU have problems?
“I took a couple years off the horn and now that I have picked it back up, I have noticed that my 4th space E is REALLY flat. So flat that that I play it 1-2 rather than open. I realize that note is usually a flat note, but it never was this flat.”
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=145957#top

1963 Connstellation
gabriel127
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if someone would only make the trumpet linked below, we wouldn't have to worry about any of these problems.

http://www.benoitglazer.com/trumpet-ideas.html

But of course, the trumpet with its current design has the following common flaws.

Bottom line E is sharp
2nd space A is sharp
2nd line G sharp and the one on top of the staff are flat
4th space E is flat
D above high C is flat

And of course low D and C# are sharp so we have to push out the 3rd valve slide.

There are a lot of trumpet manufacturers out there who claim their horns play in tune with themselves, but they don't. Some manufacturer oughta try making Benoit Glazer's design, even though it's kind of a funny-looking trumpet.
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or just get a trumpet wide wide slots and learn where the pitches should be.....
Flip Oakes Flugel

Harrelson 5mm MP
tim_wolf
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. A while back, I recorded a long tone exercise on Sibelius to play along with for intonation purposes (and it's a bit more interesting!). To my surprise, I found I was sharp on fourth space E and needed to relax a bit. Now, this is only on my Bb; E on my C trumpet is still flat. It's funny, but I really have to fight the "fourth space E is flat" mentality and avoid lipping it up. Old habits die hard.
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpets are not the only instruments that have flat fifth partials. This is because we have 20th century equally tempered ears and we are expected to play in all keys chromatically.

The math is that the pitch of E compared to C, a major third, is in the ration of 5/4, or 1.25 when playing natural partials. But, when re-defined as four equally tempered half-steps, in the ratio of pitch of 2^1/12, or approximately 1.0594631, then the ratio is 1.0594631^4, or approximately 1.26. In other words, an equally tempered major third is slightly sharper than a natural major third.

Then there are the differences in horn design. With adjusting the conical to cylindrical proportion, a brass instrument can be made to play just about anything. For example, a Miraphone 186 tuba is notorious for having flat fifth partials, just like the trumpets in this discussion. However, a King 1241 tuba is actually known for fairly good fifth partial intonation at the expense of sharp sixth partial intonation.

My King Super 20 trumpet has really decent intonation, including pulling and setting the individual slides for the typical low range culprits.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: