• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Monette MP's

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samuel5299

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Monette MP's Reply with quote

Dear Trumpet Players,
I am fairly uneducated in trumpet/mouthpiece combos and how they work... I currently am playing a curry 60tc and 60c (similar to a Bach 3c) on a ML bore horn. I am thinking of getting a Schilke HC2 in lacquer (XL bore) and switching to Monette MPs. According to the website, the B6 S1 is most similar to a Bach 3c. As I understand however, it is better to match large mouthpieces with small bore horns and small mouth pieces with large bore horns. Should I not play a B6S1 on a XL bore horn? What Monette mouthpieces would work well for such a horn still maintaining a dark rich sound? One example that I see with this similar combo is John Daversa. Does anyone know what mouthpiece he plays?

Thanks for the help!
Gonzalez
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cal only speak for what worked well for me! I’ve owned several Monettes and Inderbinens, all with XL bores! I found the Monette Prana B7F to be a really good fit! V cup, nice warm sound, and also an easy high register with spot on intonation! The Prana B6 wasn’t what I would call warm sounding, but still produced a very nice sound! I used the B6 for lead and hornsections!
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Monette MP's Reply with quote

Samuel5299 wrote:
As I understand however, it is better to match large mouthpieces with small bore horns and small mouth pieces with large bore horns.

This is a myth. There is no correlation between bore size and mouthpiece size. The mouthpiece size that fits you best is the best size mouthpiece for you regardless of the bore size of the horn.
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Monette MP's Reply with quote

Samuel5299 wrote:
Dear Trumpet Players,
I am fairly uneducated in trumpet/mouthpiece combos and how they work... I currently am playing a curry 60tc and 60c (similar to a Bach 3c) on a ML bore horn. I am thinking of getting a Schilke HC2 in lacquer (XL bore) and switching to Monette MPs. According to the website, the B6 S1 is most similar to a Bach 3c. As I understand however, it is better to match large mouthpieces with small bore horns and small mouth pieces with large bore horns. Should I not play a B6S1 on a XL bore horn? What Monette mouthpieces would work well for such a horn still maintaining a dark rich sound? One example that I see with this similar combo is John Daversa. Does anyone know what mouthpiece he plays?

Thanks for the help!

There is no hard and fast rule like that. The horn, mouthpiece, and player must be a match.

I think most of Monette's own trumpets are fairly large bore (if not the equiv. of a Schilke XL).

You can use a big mouthpiece on a big horn (Wynton) or a small mouthpiece on a small/medium horn (Bill Chase) if that's what works for you.

I play a Prana B6DS1

If you want a warmer or darker sound, consider a B6DS1 instead of a B6S1 (be careful not to confuse the B6DS1 with the B6LDS1 which is a shallower piece). The "D" stands for Deep, so it's a B6 Deep with the S1 slap cup program. It's a great piece—kind of like a 3C rim on a 1C cup. I love it.

Last edited by jaysonr on Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
theoldmaz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have experience with ACB mouth pieces, specially the 3CS and the 5CS?
deanoaks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The B6S1 is closest to a 3C Bach, to my knowledge.
I’ve not heard that rule of “big mouthpiece for small horn” and vice versa. I do believe all of your equipment has to cooperate, and the only way to figure out what works and what doesn’t is to try stuff out.

If you’re interested in Monette gear, give BJ an email or give the factory a call. They’re incredibly nice and helpful individuals and I believe mouthpiece consultations are free. As a fair warning, they are just now returning to the factory this week from their Christmas/New Year break. I would bet they are playig catchup with their emails.

BJ Cord’s email: BJ@monette.net
Shop phone: 503-255-5552

Hope this helped!
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello Samuel

if you're happy with your current mpc, and want to buy another horn, you should first try it with your mpc.
Then, if the combination is not optimal, maybe try the same mpc with another throat or backbore to match better with the horn, to get the sound and comfort you want...

To every rule there is exception, so better to try by yourself

best
noahbenson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are Monette mouthpieces the ones with their own shank that only fit their horns?
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noahbenson wrote:
Are Monette mouthpieces the ones with their own shank that only fit their horns?

Some of them are. They make STC1 and Resonance mouthpieces for general sale that are standard fitting. They make STC2 and STC3 which are heavier and only for use on Monette trumpets. You might see them second hand and they come in two fittings - standard and mid-shank which is bigger. I think the Ajna trumpet uses midshank but with either a shorter or longer shank so that is like a third fitting. The Prana trumpets come in either mid shank or standard. Players who get flatter as they ascend the register normally play the standard shank. Players who get sharper as they go up have the mid shank as it gives more room for the different backbore in the mouthpiece that helps with this.

FYI I used to play their mouthpieces and trumpet.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
Dieter Z
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theoldmaz wrote:
Does anyone have experience with ACB mouth pieces, specially the 3CS and the 5CS?

I had a ACB 3CS and 3DS briefly. Great mouthpieces, but the bore was too tight FOR ME. Keep in mind I like rather large backbore mpcs. For me the ACB 665 and TA2 are a better choice if I want a brighter sound. I usually play large diam. and cup mpc.
B&S Challenger II 3137 rl
Buescher 400 - 225 (WWII)
Benge 90C
Eastman 540 D/Eb
ACB Fluegelhorn
Selmer Picc
ACB mouthpieces for most of my playing
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Monette MP's Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
Samuel5299 wrote:
As I understand however, it is better to match large mouthpieces with small bore horns and small mouth pieces with large bore horns.

This is a myth. There is no correlation between bore size and mouthpiece size. The mouthpiece size that fits you best is the best size mouthpiece for you regardless of the bore size of the horn.

This.

And, as has been mentioned, you might want to stick with your familiar mouthpiece on the Schilke when you first get the horn. Otherwise it might get confusing as to whether any issues with acclimation are the horn, mouthpiece or both.

Brad
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The B6S1 is a great mouthpiece - there's no reason it wouldn't work on an XL bore horn.

Besides, there seems to be something of a myth that Monette's are all honking huge open-blowing monsters - the Prana's can be, but the classics aren't generally crazy.

Still, they do have a slightly different feel to them which might be better for you, or might not and Brad361 is right on the money when he says it's worth adapting to one change at a time - if you're keen to dip a toe into Monette stuff, why not try the B6S1 with your current horn first and get used to it (or decide it's not for you) and then try it out on some more open horns and see whether you like that kind of combination or not...
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
The B6S1 is a great mouthpiece - there's no reason it wouldn't work on an XL bore horn.

Besides, there seems to be something of a myth that Monette's are all honking huge open-blowing monsters - the Prana's can be, but the classics aren't generally crazy.

Still, they do have a slightly different feel to them which might be better for you, or might not and Brad361 is right on the money when he says it's worth adapting to one change at a time - if you're keen to dip a toe into Monette stuff, why not try the B6S1 with your current horn first and get used to it (or decide it's not for you) and then try it out on some more open horns and see whether you like that kind of combination or not...

I think where I ran out of steam was the Prana 1-5M on the Wild Thing. It was like trying to blow up an inflatable whale.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
deleted_user_fdb91a0

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind, Monette mouthpieces are designed to correct the inherent pitch problems associated with "conventional" mouthpieces. In other words, if you do your job, the octaves will line up with each other.

The problem comes in when you're playing with a section/ensemble that does not play in tune with itself. Many trumpet sections, especially amateur, will play wildly out of tune as dynamics, registers, and fatigue levels change. So you'll find yourself fighting the mouthpiece, which wants to play in tune, in order to play in tune with a section that is playing out of tune. This is a big reason you see many Monette mouthpieces on eBay. They will make your life a living hell, unless you're one of the fortunate few who is regularly playing with cats who know what they're doing.

You have been warned.
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drewwilkie86 wrote:

The problem comes in when you're playing with a section/ensemble that does not play in tune with itself. Many trumpet sections, especially amateur, will play wildly out of tune as dynamics, registers, and fatigue levels change. So you'll find yourself fighting the mouthpiece, which wants to play in tune, in order to play in tune with a section that is playing out of tune.

You have been warned.

Good advice.

I learned that playing in community bands / ensembles is way too frustrating for me. The "smug attitudes" of the veteran players (many of whom seem to resemble Wilfred Brimley) is off-putting.

I'd rather put my head in an oven ... or, slash my wrists. O

~ r2 ~
former community organizer

I miss Genghis Khan ....
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad . . using the plural "s". I have no doubt that some are like that. You were there, I wasn't. But the players I have been associated with in community bands have, for the most part, been a pretty accessible and friendly bunch.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Samuel5299

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Monette mouthpieces are dropped are they never the same? considering buying a used one.
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dropped one on concrete about 10 years ago. Monnete asked me to send it to them for possible repairs. They called me to say it was now a paper weight. They sent me a new one!!

Picketts
Yamaha 6335RC
Yamaha 8335RS
Lawler Flugel
Kanstul cornet
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samuel5299 wrote:
If Monette mouthpieces are dropped are they never the same? considering buying a used one.

I wouldn't buy a damaged Monette. Normal wear, etc. is one thing, but I wouldn't buy one w/ obvious signs of being dropped. Even more so if it's a Prana.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: