• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Musicians Friend

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Musicians Friend Reply with quote

I just tried to buy a mute from Musicians Friend and have them match a low price. They said no even though they have it in writing on their site

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pages/lowest-price
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sure showed them!!!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't tell us from what source you referred to in your counter-offer so any response (if at all) will only have half of the story. More info please.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of those price-matching guarantees have conditions. Here's part of theirs.

"We'll match any verifiable advertised pricing from any authorized US dealer for the identical new item up to 45 days from purchase."

Is there a chance the price you wanted them to match isn't from an authorized dealer?
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never dealt with this company. Are they legit? Maybe I should just call them?

http://www.baltimorebrass.net/index.php?cat=16
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that it can be disappointing when you don't get something you believe was promised. I like MusiciansFriend.com (and their related sites, WWBW.com, Music123.com, GuitarCenter.com, MusicArts.com). I use Musicians Friend regularly. Free shipping, no sales tax, a 45-day return policy, and a price-matching policy that I've used several times in the past.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.

Last edited by TrumpetMD on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetchops wrote:
I've never dealt with this company. Are they legit? Maybe I should just call them?

http://www.baltimorebrass.net/index.php?cat=16

Baltimore Brass is a great company, run by local musicians in the Baltimore area. I've purchased a couple horns from them over the years. Next to Chuck Levins, they have the largest supply of in-stock horns in Maryland. They are my go-to brick-and-mortal music store.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Musicians Friend Reply with quote

trumpetchops wrote:
I just tried to buy a mute from Musicians Friend and have them match a low price. They said no even though they have it in writing on their site

What specific reason did they give?
jazzhorn04
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to work for the company that owns Musician's Friend. We turned away tons of price match attempts. Sometimes people wanted us to match eBay or Amazon, some wanted us to lower our new price to match a used item etc. We even had one person build a website for a store that didn't exist. Anytime he wanted a piece of gear he would add it to that store's "inventory" on the website and mark the price to around 10% over cost.

Point being, there are a lot of reasons price matching gets turned away. There are standards and conditions that have to be met (have to have the ad in print or be able to pull it up online, must be current pricing, must be an authorized dealer) What company or ad did you want them to match?
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Musicians Friend Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
trumpetchops wrote:

What specific reason did they give?

They said that Baltimore Brass had to be an authorized dealer. They couldn't get in touch with the manufacturer to verify so too bad. They insinuated that the mute was made by someone else to look real. I told them to call the store and ask and they said no.

Just as a side note, I called Baltimore Brass to buy the mute and they wouldn't sell it at the listed price either. I don't get it. It's on their site.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baltimore Brass doesn't update their site very often, and I think the guy who used to do their website work has moved on. While from a legal standpoint they'd have to sell at their advertised price, you probably won't have much luck actually getting them to do it - it would be more time and effort than it would be worth.

On a side note, what's the price difference? I understand trying to get a lower price, but if the difference doesn't amount to more than $20 or more, why not just get what you want and be done with it?
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:

On a side note, what's the price difference? I understand trying to get a lower price, but if the difference doesn't amount to more than $20 or more, why not just get what you want and be done with it?

This is a great question. I've been thinking about buying this mute for a while but haven't because it's too much money. It's a Trumcor Zinger. Last night I was playing and had to use my Harmon mute. I decided to just buy it. What the hell, I play a Monette trumpet but don't want to spend the money on a mute?

This morning stuck in the house because of snow I started looking on the internet for one on sale. I came across The Baltimore place that had it for 85.00. I don't know them so I thought I would go to the place that won't be undersold. When I couldn't get it I posted here and learned that the Baltimore place is legit so, I called to buy the mute. They won't do the price either. Now I'm like the wolf that can't reach what he wants to eat in the tree so he says, I wasn't hungry anyway.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
While from a legal standpoint they'd have to sell at their advertised price...

This is a common misconception. Legally the posted or advertised price is "an invitation for an offer to buy" and not a legally binding "offer to sell." When the customer tries to buy the item at the posted or advertised price that constitutes an "offer to buy" which the seller has the option to accept or reject. The price is not firm until there is a binding offer by the buyer and binding acceptance of the offer by the seller.

Intentionally and knowingly advertising fictitious prices may be a violation of an applicable "Deceptive Trade Practices" law and may subject the seller to government prosecution but violating such a law does not separately legally obligate the seller to sell at the posted or advertised price.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, if you don't want to pay full price, and you don't need it right away, just wait until something comes up in the Marketplace. I bought my Zinger for $50, brand new condition, used from the TH site. (I love it, by the way. Worth the full $115 price if you want it for a gig right now.)

Price-matching offers have always been subject to restrictions and in my experience are only applicable for large-ticket items (over $1000) not on a mute or bottle of valve oil or something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: