• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How do "Acting ____" Jobs happen?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpet_cop
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: How do "Acting ____" Jobs happen? Reply with quote

First off, I know they happen when a musician leaves an empty spot.

My question to those in major full time or part time groups is, how do you go about selecting a player for an acting position? e.g. acting second. Acting principal or associate/assistant are usually from within the section.

Since I haven't seen any postings in the paper for temporary acting positions, is it just through word of mouth and who you know? How do aspiring players find out about these potential openings and experiences?

Thank you for your time and responses.

TC
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As opposed to tenured positions?
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenured positions are done most often than not through a national search which is advertised. I believe OP is asking are acting positions advertised or just hired out based upon who the section knows
Athos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such positions are usually filled by the section ad hoc. They can be filled from within, by invitation, or by audition at the discretion of the orchestra, usually. Most, if not all, orchestras have no prearranged process for dealing with temporary positions. This is probably because they recognize that there is tremendous fluidity between the peripherals around a vacancy, and believe it is best to treat such vacancies on a case-by-case basis.

Our orchestra sometimes advertises temporary positions, but often lacks the requisite time to do so. Lacking sufficient time, a small pool of invited applicants is often solicited for an unadvertised audition.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: