• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getzen Eterna serial numbers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jp morel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Getzen Eterna serial numbers Reply with quote

Hi, I'm a newcomer on the Trumpet Herald forum !
I have a Getzen Eterna cornet that I bought in 1974. It was a second-hand cornet and I should like to know when it was manufactured. I looked at the lists of serial numbers published on the web, but I found no series corresponding to what was engraved on the cornet : Eterna by Getzen on the bell, and on the second valve : LB (large bore I presume), and under it : N866.
I found nowhere a mention of the existence of N series (KN yes, but not N...).
Can anybody help me ? Thanks by advance.
Shifty
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email Mary Rima at Getzen. She knows everything!

maryrima@getzen.com
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shifty wrote:
Email Mary Rima at Getzen. She knows everything!

maryrima@getzen.com

This may or may not be helpful. I inquired about an Eterna cornet that I had, SN C805, and she didn't have any info on it. It seems they didn't use a consistent numbering scheme for these early Eterna cornets.

Does your cornet have lever water keys or Amado keys?

Kent
Shifty
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction. Mary knows everything that can be known. Apparently horns made before 1963 fall into the un-knowable category. From the Getzen site:

"How can I find out how old my Getzen instrument is?

This all depends on how old the instrument is. The age of any instrument manufactured after 1963 can be easily dated using the serial number. However, instruments produced prior to 1963 cannot be dated. This is because of a devastating fire at the factory which destroyed all of the company's production records. For these instruments the only option is an educated guess at a possible manufacture date. This guess can usually narrow things down to within a few years."

She might be able to help with the guess.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:26 am    Post subject: Getzen Eterna serial numbers Reply with quote

I believe the Eterna as we now know it and from the age you have. I think they started the manufacturer of that type in 1965, if memory serves me correctly. I played one in symphonic band (school owned) and a few years ago out of curiosity I email (Steve?) at Getzen. He thought I played one that was 65'-67' in that time line. Without getting anymore specific which I am sure you would appreciate, that is what I was told. Man, I think they are great horns. I used to look forward to playing mine, everyday.
Adam R. Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Getzen Eterna serial numbers Reply with quote

blbaumgarn wrote:
I believe the Eterna as we now know it and from the age you have. I think they started the manufacturer of that type in 1965, if memory serves me correctly. I played one in symphonic band (school owned) and a few years ago out of curiosity I email (Steve?) at Getzen. He thought I played one that was 65'-67' in that time line. Without getting anymore specific which I am sure you would appreciate, that is what I was told. Man, I think they are great horns. I used to look forward to playing mine, everyday.

There is no Steve at Getzen.
_Handballsteve
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I have N868. It has LB marked above the serial number. I was told it is a pre fire instrument. So before 1963. It is an awesome cornet and I really enjoy playing it. I use it a lot. Great job Getzen people!
1962 Getzen Eterna Cornet LB
1973 Schilke 3 valve Pic.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:09 pm    Post subject: Getzen Eterna serial numbers Reply with quote

Yes, by all means email Mary. The people at Getzen are very accomodating even if you question is about an older horn that they made. They are first class people!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: