• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Olds Special Cornet Comparison

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gatsby77

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject: Olds Special Cornet Comparison Reply with quote

'64 Olds Special Cornet . Need to compare same make, model ,approx year, to determine if valve leakage ( hissing) is noticeable ( normal) in your instrument . Heres how I home tested mine ; 1. Remove slides one at time. 2. Place finger over slide port blow into mpc . Though relative, do you hear any hissing leakage ? Have any of you had a valve job and does it hiss at all then on your Special Cornet ? My 52 Olds Special Trumpet is so pressure tight, it will pop your ears if you blow too hard ! On the Cornet I also tried the test where you pull a slide to max , push back in and listen for a valve depressed pop after 30 sec on #3 and about 15 sec on valve #1 . slight pops noticed . The thicker oil trick didnt really do a thing . I dont have a local shop who can do a leakdown test like Osmun can. It plays well but maybe I'm working harder than I should be . Thanks for the interest .
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tons of cornets that play great but fail some of those tests. How does yours play, especially compared to your other one?

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Gatsby77

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard Thanks for the reply . Your similar test makes me wonder . I dont have another Cornet to compare mine to . Are your Cornets Pro models ? Vintage with lots of possible valve wear ? . I consider the efficiency important to the ease of playing and who wants to play harder ? So is my leakage normally inherent or through excessive wear? They say if it aint broke dont fix it . Valve 2 has/ had a casing problem repaired though not totally successful . Piston 2 hangs at times if not depressed straight down . Not constantly enough, yet very annoying when it happens. No player even recreation likes that ! To purchase a valve rebuild unless positively necessary, ALONG with excessive leakage from factory standards, (efficiency) to me possibly warrant the rebuild. The cost outlay would far surpass the value / quality of this instrument . Therefore the question of (abnormal ? ) leakage becomes the deciding factor as to the future . Thanks
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way you are doing the test could involve leakage at the water key. So find a way to rule that out.

But honestly, you are talking about an old, low value instrument that already had a failed valve repair and a valve that hangs up. Seems to me your time and money would be better spent on finding a different instrument.
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
'40 Olds Special Cornet, Military Issued
Gatsby77

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks pinstriper , The water keys have new corks and are tight . I see you have 2 vintage Olds Cornets , do they, especially the ambassador show any air leaks with my aforementioned tests ? As the hang up is very sporadic and intermittent . The original casing high spot issue was addressed, very low in casing causing a total hang up . Piston now works 100% better providing a straight downward button pressure is applied . At this point I feel this can be totally fixed without the suggested valve job . Sure it could use a valve job . How many could, but are still great playing working instruments . The valve job would surely do the trick . but if the hang up is still due to a casing issue and not a valve rebuild . The cost of that repair may be well worth it . I think a second techs opinion is in order . I notice tou have a Deg 2 G . Drum Corps history ? Regards
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatsby77 wrote:
Thanks pinstriper , The water keys have new corks and are tight . I see you have 2 vintage Olds Cornets , do they, especially the ambassador show any air leaks with my aforementioned tests ? As the hang up is very sporadic and intermittent . The original casing high spot issue was addressed, very low in casing causing a total hang up . Piston now works 100% better providing a straight downward button pressure is applied . At this point I feel this can be totally fixed without the suggested valve job . Sure it could use a valve job . How many could, but are still great playing working instruments . The valve job would surely do the trick . but if the hang up is still due to a casing issue and not a valve rebuild . The cost of that repair may be well worth it . I think a second techs opinion is in order . I notice tou have a Deg 2 G . Drum Corps history ? Regards

The valves on all my Olds horns are more or less perfect. Smooth and great compression via the slide pop test, and techs have confirmed they are in great shape.

I did have a 60's Special trumpet that had a crease in the 2nd slide and it was leaking there. I paid to have it patched and then donated it to a local high school program when the Super fell in my lap.

I'm currently playing a Kanstul 1070 and love it.

I marched DCI way back when the Cadets were still from Garfield NJ.
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
Gatsby77

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinstriper When they were called Holy Name .or when Kammerer was director ? Or won consecutive .American Legion titles ? Or was at Roosevelt stadium playing "When Johnny comes marching home again ? ." Thanks for the reply. We may have seen one another ...depending .
Olds Special Cornet '64
Olds French Horn Bugle G/F
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatsby77 wrote:
pinstriper When they were called Holy Name .or when Kammerer was director ? Or won consecutive .American Legion titles ? Or was at Roosevelt stadium playing "When Johnny comes marching home again ? ." Thanks for the reply. We may have seen one another ...depending .

A little later than that. I marched in the last Dream at Roosevelt stadium a few months before it was torn down in 1980
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
Gatsby77

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Checked the records '80 .was the last . Had the opportunity 4yrs and 3yrs and 6 & 7 earlier . A mecca since the early days ., Regards
Olds Special Cornet '64
Gatsby77

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Checked the records '80 .was the last . Had the opportunity 4yrs and 3yrs and 6 & 7 earlier . A mecca since the early days ., Regards
Olds Special Cornet '64
adc
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leaking valves on cornets don't always negatively affect the horn..unless the low notes (mostly) come out badly.

I understand some performers back in the day intentionally had horns made to the .003" or more diametral clearance.
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adc wrote:
Leaking valves on cornets don't always negatively affect the horn..unless the low notes (mostly) come out badly.

I understand some performers back in the day intentionally had horns made to the .003" or more diametral clearance.

This is really interesting. Gatsby and I began this discussion on another venue; nice to see it here. Anyway, I have an Olds Special and, after checking, my valves don't seem to have the best compression but that's not a problem for me; I don't mind that at all. For my trumpet, where I may be taxing the upper register a bit more, efficiency is of real importance to me and I want my valves tight. For my cornet, a breathier, darker tone is what I want and my Special works excellent for this sound.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
Gatsby77

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonathon M , Just read your post . good to hear from you Just today I purchased a Curry TCV . I was using a Bach 7 The difference in tone is incredible. I have the opportunity to go directly to the Mouthpiece Express store . Robert , store owner picked it out for me . It seems to be a winner . the cup difference is like night and day. hope I dont lose too much top end . I still have a very slight bit of an issue with #2 valve sticking and hoping a valve job wont the the only cure . Take care .
Olds Special Cornet '64
Gatsby77

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonathon M, Edit that Curry Cornet MPC last posted. It's a 7 TC , Sorry
Olds Special Cornet '64
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: