• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Methodical book for newer player

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bulgakov

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:29 pm    Post subject: Methodical book for newer player Reply with quote

I was reading through this thread on good beginner's books:

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=145908

and got to thinking about my own learning.

I have Arbans, and I've downloaded the Schlossberg and Clarke and many of the classic method books, and I purchased Eric Bolvin's Arban study book.

However, is there a recommended book out there for an adult learner that takes you through a methodical progression? I've got lessons restarting in February, but it would be great to have something with a set plan that I can work through and then get correction and advice with my teacher (and that set plan may include dipping into the aforementioned Arban etc, but I don't feel I am anywhere near a point where I can dip into those books without some real direction). I'm also the type of learner who does well with a set plan from A to B--be it learning Italian from books and tapes or learning software on Lynda.com.

Among books mentioned were:

100 Progressive Lessons for Trumpet for the Beginning or Comeback Player

and

Bill Knevitt's Getting Started Right on Trumpet and The Developing Trumpet Player.

Also, what about the Claude Gordon method for a newer player. I get the impression that really needs to be done with a teacher well-versed in his teachings.

So, thoughts?

FYI: I've been playing for about 2 years. I currently play in a community orchestra and an intermediate brass band. A grade C band, as they classify them here in New Zealand. My goal is between methods and teacher to nip any bad habits in the bud now. I'm 47, and like everybody, there are only so many hours in the day. I don't care if the book takes 8 years to get through. I'm not looking for a quick fix, but I do want to be as productive and efficient as I can with my practice time.

Thank you as always for your advice.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However, is there a recommended book out there for an adult learner that takes you through a methodical progression?

The best method I have come across is the four-volume "Mitchell on Trumpet" by Harold "Pappy" Mitchell.

Each book is broken down into lessons that comprehensively address trumpet playing: tone and attack, flexibility, scales & chords, lyrical playing, etc.

There are a total of 82 lessons covering the spectrum from complete beginner to very advanced-level playing.

The books are widely available in print (Santorella Publications is the publisher), or electronically from qpress.ca.

Quote:
Also, what about the Claude Gordon method for a newer player.

Claude Gordon's "Physical Approach to Elementary Brass Playing" is a very useful book for a developing player, but not a method by itself. Between it, Arban and Clarke you'd have some great material to work with, but would likely need your teacher to help you put solid lessons together.

Several students of Claude Gordon offer lessons via Skype: Bruce Haag, John Mohan, Jeff Purtle....

Good luck!
jhahntpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mitchell books have a great reputation and can be purchased and downloaded through qPress.
Piccolo: Yamaha 9830
Flugel: Yamaha 8315G
Cornet: York Eminence
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hickman's 100 Progressive Lessons and Mitchell on Trumpet both do that. I have copies of both. I'd say that Hickman's book starts easier and progresses at a more moderate pace than the Mitchell book. For a beginner, that's a smart idea. They're both good methods, and the Mitchell book would be fine if you have the discipline to pace yourself so you don't overdo it and get frustrated.
Piccolo Stomvi
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41-5ygqwZmL._AC_US218_.jpg
Regarding Claude Gordon, this (The Physical Approach to Brass Playing) might be more appropriate to bigin with. Also "Brass Playing is no Harder Than Deep Breathing." Maybe John Mohan will chime in.
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a middle school band director. Feel free to use anything on my website that you want: www.JustinDickson.com/Band
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hickman book does have a slower learning curve but considering that you've already been playing two years, I'm not sure that matters.

I have used the Mitchell book also and it's really good. If you are looking for a book that has all facets of playing in the same place, Mitchell is very convenient, focused, as well as plain good.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Bulgakov

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
The Hickman book does have a slower learning curve but considering that you've already been playing two years, I'm not sure that matters.

I have used the Mitchell book also and it's really good. If you are looking for a book that has all facets of playing in the same place, Mitchell is very convenient, focused, as well as plain good.

Thank you. That sounds great. What is the time-frame for working through the book? A few days per lesson? A week? A month?

Also, is there text instruction or just exercises?

And, I notice some editions come with CDs or DVDs but the Q Press download seems to be the printed material only.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, the Mitchell Method is, presently, four books not one book.

How long does it take? As long as it takes. Not being flippant, but how long something like this takes depends on your own pace.

There is some text but it's minimal. This is not an instructional text book, rather a series of balanced lessons.

Regarding media, the books come with CDs.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a new beginner book right here;
https://bolvinmusic.com/product/i-play-trumpet-and-the-really-big-student-songbook/

Fully interactive PDF with videos.

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you study with a Claude Gordon student they will most likely have perform a subset of each lesson in Systematic Approach rather than performing the lessons as written.

The Bill Knevitt Crash Course is 52 lessons long and uses a systematic approach similar to the Claude Gordon Systematic Approach to Daily Practice. It employs several other methods/etude books as well. Here is the link:

https://qpress.ca/product/ultra-trumpet-crash-course-home-study-knevitt-pdf/

Good luck in your search.
Bulgakov

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for your advice. It's pretty amazing for a new player to get such great help from so many experts. I really appreciate this forum.

Based on the comments, what I am looking for and availability down under, I purchased the Mitchell on Trumpet series from Q Press. That should keep me occupied for a very long time :D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: