• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Valve Oil Issues / Powell trumpet

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
entdoc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Valve Oil Issues / Powell trumpet Reply with quote

Have a new Powell custom trumpet. Love it, sound incredible. What are folks using for the valves. Using Hetman’s 1 and 2 w poor results. Realize that these valves need to worked in. Suggestions?

ENTDOC[/youtube]
gcarpten

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that Five Starr oil works really well for my Powell.
Matthew Anklan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monster Oil “Doc’s Juice” and “Faster”
5 Star
Zaja
Ultra Pure
...Blue Juice was OK too
Matthew Anklan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if the horn is really new, it might just need more break-in time.

Welcome to the Powell Trumpet family!
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try wiping your valves with a rag before oiling. Just a little tip that did magic for me.
trumpet.trader
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
Just a little tip that did magic for me.

entdoc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: valve oil issues / Powell trumpet Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. Have wiped the valves down. Tried some Fast oil I had. I will get some of the 5 star and try it. Need to work the valves in. Hate to use it as my practice horn ! Seems fine right after oiling then it gums up.

Thanks , great comments
WillyCook

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree its probably just a breaking in issue. Powell trumpets are amazing and Hetman is amazing. Give it some time and a couple of thorough cleanings!!
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthew Anklan wrote:
Also, if the horn is really new, it might just need more break-in time.

Welcome to the Powell Trumpet family!

I would suggest that Fred consult with Schilke alums Steve Winans or Rick Morovic on lapping in the valves. Schilkes don't have that problem for a reason.

BTW Rich Ita in Atlanta knows the drill, and isn't so far away.
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Powell and use UltraPure. Excellent results.
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet.trader wrote:
CJceltics33 wrote:
Just a little tip that did magic for me.

I have a new trumpet with tight valves. I wipe every day and oil every day for 1st month. The reason to wipe is that metal to metal wear sheds metal (duh) and more metal in the casing acccelerates wear and not always in the right places for smooth operation. I wiped and oiled steady for 1 month and the valves are as smooth and fast as can be. My horn is an Eclipse and I use their oil, but the keeping of valves clean has been a trick that worked for me on 5 new horns. Also on replates and valve jobs. Sometimes these shed lapping compound for weeks.
My experience,
Rod
houdini1313
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 5 Starr on my Bb and C (both custom Powells). When new they need to be broken in, I oiled via the 2nd valve holes after every playing. Check the valve bottoms for a black residue, normal breaking in of the monel, clear it away occasionally. I also like Monster Oil Adams mix.

Perry
Stomvi Piccolo

Hammond, Patrick, and Reeves Mouthpieces
Paul Randall

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred actually reccommended 5Starr oil to me and I've used it on all my Powell trumpets with good results.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 Starr, Ultra-Pure, Monster, Blue Juice.. all good...

Let me encourage the habit of wiping off the valves and reaplying EVERY day for the first month of use, then frequently for another month or so.. That "break-in" period for new valves.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
entdoc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Valve Oil issues / Powell trumpet Reply with quote

Thanks everyone: Talked to Fred today. Looks like I have been doing everything wrong and wanted to share w TH crowd. This is a new custom Powell tmpt. Do not use Hetman oil. Does not work on Powell trmpts, lots of problems. Do not remove your valves out of the casing, in fact, he recommends never taking out the valves out of the casing at all. ONly for cleaning once or twice a year. News to me !. Do not wipe - gave me a list of reasons not to. I have switched to blue juice - he recommends it - has a solvent in the oil that helps keep valves clean. Oil thru the 2nd slide - gave me the right way to do it and it does take about 10 seconds to do all 3 valves. Guess what - incredible !! He also recommends Monster blue formula if you like. Do this before and after you play.
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you get the valves "broken in" with blue juice, talk to your rep about Roche-Thomas. It is a conventional valve oil that is very clean, does not dilute easily, and does not cause gunk. I have been using it since my elementary band days in the early '70's (starting with my Dad's old bottle) with everything from new horns to worn horns.

I am not a fan of blue juice, because I find it inconsistent, and can cause gunk eventually, and needs frequent re-application. I encourage you, please, to tell your rep about Roche-Thomas and give it a try, as it has solved all the problems you state, plus many more, over the decades: clean, effective, does not dilute, does not cause gunk, compatible with whatever slide grease you use, etc.

I do understand the theory of oiling through the valve slides, as I play a modified Miraphone 186 rotary valve tuba in addition to upper brass. Because of the rotary valve mechanics, you cannot withdraw the valve and oil it like you can with piston valve instruments. So, being careful not to let the oil drip on the sides of the valve circuit tubes and wash slide grease down the rotors (which would cause even more gunk), I use this method to put y Roche-Thomas valve oil occasionally down the 1st valve slide to the rotors and let it work its way down the valve stack to clear gunk.
oljackboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had an interesting thing happen with my Possegger Bb. It has the Bauerfiend valve block, and I had been using Monster regular. Loved it at first,
silky and quick. After a few months the valves started getting slower. I would clean it up really carefully, re-oil it, all good until the next day . Slow valves.
Called my favorite brass tech, he suggested clean it out again and use a non-synthetic valve oil. I got same Al Cass and did the job. Fixed it.
Seems that the synthetic oil had a silicone component or something, and that it was building up inside the casings or on the valves or both.
The petroleum valve oil worked as a solvent to clean the valves and casings.
Who knew?
entdoc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Valve oil issues Reply with quote

Who knew about the synthetic oils. I certainly tried them on my Schilke horns a lot. The new Powell does not like that stuff. Interesting, Fred mentioned that the valve have sharp surfaces and need to be so in the casing, thus the reason not to get rid of these sharp surfaces at the openings with constant rubbing down and wiping the valves. Makes sense
GarrettFaccone

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Oil issues / Powell trumpet Reply with quote

Adding to the long list of Powell owners (good job Matt and Perry)
I've also been using 5-Starr valve oil with my Powell Bb and could not be happier!
Blast! The Show - 2014 Japan Tour - Trumpet/ Piccolo Trumpet/ Percussion.
Tradeoff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was suggested to use Blue Juice daily by Fred. I've tried Hetman, T2, Ultra Pure, and others. Nothing works better than the Blue Juice. I'm sure of it is my body chemistry, but no issues with Fred's suggestion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: