• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Air Speed VS Air Strength

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
It seems to be a new sport: look for the new guy and hound him if he does anything so rude as to follow the guidelines of the site WRT selling on the marketplace.

The noisy ones all appear miss two rather important points.

1. While the marketplace has brought someone in, they may well prove to be a useful and productive member in time.

2. The horn they are selling may be the horn you have waited for for years! There's no reason to think they are not trustworthy.

Catch is, all the net nannies doing the calling out are also discouraging new members from becoming more involved. Don't forget you were new once, too.

cheers

Andy

I've not been here very long myself, but I agree with this. One thing I've noticed from frequenting one or two other forums, is the proclivity for older members to gate-keep. It's really weird
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re the OP - being a photographer, I like to think of it as aperture. An aperture basically lets less, or more light onto a sensor, depending on how much light is actually available. A smaller aperture, in terms of one's embouchure, would seem to me to let a more focused stream of air pass, and not necessarily a faster stream. Anyhoo, it works for me.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMrtn wrote:
Andy Del wrote:
It seems to be a new sport: look for the new guy and hound him if he does anything so rude as to follow the guidelines of the site WRT selling on the marketplace.

The noisy ones all appear miss two rather important points.

1. While the marketplace has brought someone in, they may well prove to be a useful and productive member in time.

2. The horn they are selling may be the horn you have waited for for years! There's no reason to think they are not trustworthy.

Catch is, all the net nannies doing the calling out are also discouraging new members from becoming more involved. Don't forget you were new once, too.

cheers

Andy

I've not been here very long myself, but I agree with this. One thing I've noticed from frequenting one or two other forums, is the proclivity for older members to gate-keep. It's really weird

I was a member of a older news group that was essentially brought down because of a few bad actors. So I understand why some folks react strongly to what is perceived as folks joining and posting for the wrong reasons. Keeping up a site like this for long without it turning to chaos is no small thing. In all generality, I'm happy with the moderators and the vast majority of its members.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Tromba15

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Air speed vs. Air strength Reply with quote

I agree with the previous post - it depends on the student and their preconceived notions of playing trumpet. I've been teaching trumpet for 40+ years, predominantly at the college level, but I always try to have a beginner or two even then.

More often than not, beginners think it takes a huge effort and lots of air to produce a good sound. Think of any cartoon or animation of a trumpet player and they are turning unnatural shades of red and contorting their faces and bodies. Trumpet players in videos tend to be overly dramatic physically. In today's world a competent teacher can assign any number of great players to watch on youtube. But without the proper guidance, bad habits get started easily - often on day 1!

More to the point, without a competent teacher they often start by overblowing and when they try to ascend, the torrent of air blows the lips open. We all know the quick fix for that - pressure!!

It makes sense that if we balance the air with the embouchure muscles and get a nice sound working no louder than mp then that response can be carried up to bigger dynamics. This is when it's easier to sell the idea of practicing to strengthen the embouchure in order to grow those softer notes to bigger sounds.

Vincent Cichowicz said it best: match the air to the sound you want! That's where a knowledgeable teacher that can demo the proper sound comes in handy. Our saddest days as teachers are those when we start working with a student that has been allowed to form the wrong habits, and we set about correcting those faulty concepts and habits.

It is just as easy and just as hard to do it correctly from day 1!
Tromba15

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Air speed vs. Air strength Reply with quote

I strongly agree with John Mohan.

I've had lots of success as a player and teacher with arching the tongue to play higher.

One way to get the student to experience the raised tongue is to have the them (without horn or mouthpiece) produce the sound of the wind during a storm and raise the pitch level of the wind. Once they make the direct connection between raising the tongue and the faster air (not necessarily more air), it becomes easier to make that happen on the horn.
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason the pitch changes in the blowing exercise you describe is due to the resonant frequency of the oral space increasing as the space becomes smaller. It is not due to air speed increasing.

Your conclusion feeds the myth that air "speed" is related to pitch.
solo soprano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "syllable approach" has been around for a very long time and is the best way to influence the level of the tongue. It is emphasized in virtually every great method book, including those written by Herbert L Clarke, Walter Smith, Earl Irons, Claude Gordon, Bill Knevitt and Charles Colin, to name a few. Why it is so neglected by teachers, I do not know. It is the "secret" with which all great virtuosos of the past performed such fantastic feats so easily.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: