• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tool Box as trumpet case

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bstradivarius
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Tool Box as trumpet case Reply with quote

Has anyone in this forum built a home-made trumpet case from a toolbox? They are cheap and metal! If so, what type of internal cushion material has worked for you? I know what foam material is in soft cases. Where do I find it?
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve thought about this many times but never acted on it
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my opinion, but after you buy the box, foam and glue, is the dollar amount you save worth it? There are many decent cases available for not a lot of money, plus I would be concerned that a tool box with foam inside might not protect your horn, especially should you drop the case.

Brad
jojocat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the foam, do not buy new as it's very expensive. Go to an upholstery shop. They throw everything week in the garbage a ton of used foam in good enough condition for a trumpet case. You can also find cheap fabric that will fit perfectly.

Martin Committee trumpet
Yamaha 6335H
Yamaha 6320
Accent 781
Bstradivarius
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Just my opinion, but after you buy the box, foam and glue, is the dollar amount you save worth it? There are many decent cases available for not a lot of money, plus I would be concerned that a tool box with foam inside might not protect your horn, especially should you drop the case.

Brad

Much appreciated. I'll keep that in mind. I would say the protection depends on the quality of the build. However, show me a bass trumpet case for $50 and I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
Goldplate
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once built a case for a tilted bell trumpet, with a fixed bell. I didn't use a tool box, but I did find that using a serrated bread knife worked really well to cut the foam. I cut the shape of the horn into the foam and then hot glued some fabric I bought at the fabric store that looked pretty similar to what was used in hard cases. It worked pretty well, and the case has survived about 30 years so far.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be a good sight gag for a show - putting down a toolbox and pulling out your horn.

I'm dubious about it as an actual everyday case, particularly if you have to carry it any distance. A metal toolbox big enough to hold your horn plus foam is going to be bulky and heavy even before you add the padding and horn. It's also going to have sharp corners that could cause problems banging into things. Purpose-made cases with durable cloth around a foam interior are very light, and typically have shoulder-carry and backpack-style straps.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
VintageFTW
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just built my own triple case out of a nice, sturdy suitcase about two weeks ago. It has served me wonderfully so far. I mean, it's a little bulky, but not too much so. It even has wheels and a pull-out handle. I used that high density blue upholstery foam at Walmart for $15. It is the perfect material for a case because it is firm, but still squishy. I upholstered all the pieces and inserts in some red suede velvet I picked up on the cheap. I think the grand total for this entire project, including the suitcase, was about $30 - $35.
Early 1900's Marceau Cornet *B&F Stencil
1922 Holton-Clarke Cornet
1954 Elkhart built by Buescher 37b
...And many more
jojocat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bstradivarius wrote:
Brad361 wrote:

Brad

Much appreciated. I'll keep that in mind. I would say the protection depends on the quality of the build. However, show me a bass trumpet case for $50 and I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Do what I told you and it won't cost you an arm...use a plywood sheet to make the box. I made several cases; they work well and tehy were cheap to build.

Martin Committee trumpet
Yamaha 6335H
Yamaha 6320
Accent 781
homecookin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jojocat wrote:
Bstradivarius wrote:
Brad361 wrote:

Brad

Do what I told you and it won't cost you an arm...use a plywood sheet to make the box. I made several cases; they work well and tehy were cheap to build.

Why not just buy a decent trumpet case ?
I can't imagine showing up to a job with some
homemade toolbox/suitcase trumpet case.
I mean...what is the point ?
That is just my opinion, nothing more.
Maybe I just don't get it.
lgt0412
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

homecookin wrote:
jojocat wrote:
Bstradivarius wrote:
Brad361 wrote:

Brad

Why not just buy a decent trumpet case ?
I can't imagine showing up to a job with some
homemade toolbox/ suitcase trumpet case.
I mean...what is the point ?
That is just my opinion, nothing more.
Maybe I just don't get it.

I completely agree. I've commented on threads like this before, and I'll say it again, it always amazes me that after spending so much money on equipment some people aren't willing to store that expensive equipment in a case that adequately protects it. I'm all for personal choice and if you want to build your own case go for it! I'm sure that's how some of our great case makers got started. But for me (and the other 99% of us) paying even $300, $400, $500+ isn't too much to ask to protect THOUSANDS of dollars worth of gear. Just my opinion.
Conn 38B
Van Laar BR3 Flugel
Blessing Super Artist cornet
Greg Black Mouthpieces
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah- we're a dangerous mix. Trumpet players and DIYers...

I have always found it satisfying to build things myself, from a fiberglas walleye boat I've used nearly every day each summer since 1993 in which I custom built a complete interior including live wells, electronics and all the goodies to firearms to 85% of my car, home and cabin repairs. I've always had the notion that if someone else can do it, why not I? I've never made my own cases since these are not all that expensive, but a bit of advice if you try to make one out of wood: make a totally enclosed box (all 6 sides) as square on all surfaces as you are able , then cut it along a fence on a good table saw to separate the top and bottom. That way they'll fit together properly even if you're off a bit.

Personally, I don't like the idea of throwing a metal tool box inside the interior of my car, but that's probably just me. Good luck, and WTH? Go for it. Either way, you're likely to learn something...
homecookin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I really was not trying to discourage anyone.
lgt0412 makes a very good point about the price of
trumpets and equipment these days, and an equally
good point about protecting said instruments and
equipment.
A decent trumpet case is not that expensive,
and are readily available most everywhere.
Especially when you consider the internet.
One does not have to spend a lot of money
to purchase a trumpet case that offers more
than adequate protection.
I guess what I was really wondering about was
why specifically use a "toolbox" to convert to a
trumpet case ?
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
This might be a good sight gag for a show - putting down a toolbox and pulling out your horn.

I'm dubious about it as an actual everyday case, particularly if you have to carry it any distance. A metal toolbox big enough to hold your horn plus foam is going to be bulky and heavy even before you add the padding and horn. It's also going to have sharp corners that could cause problems banging into things. Purpose-made cases with durable cloth around a foam interior are very light, and typically have shoulder-carry and backpack-style straps.

Exactly my thoughts.

I have several vintage Reunion Blues (San Francisco labelled) natural-tan leather bags. Although; much worn from regular use (including, as travel luggage for clothing), they do yeoman service. PLUS -- I always get comments of approval and admiration.
They have become collector's items, I am informed.

~ r2 ~
former community organizer

I miss Genghis Khan ....
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bstradivarius wrote:
show me a bass trumpet case for $50 and I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

I assume you're talking about a plastic toolbox with snap-locks and maybe wheels? I could see these working in a pinch for cornets or regular trumpets, with enough padding.

What kind of toolbox is big enough to hold a bass trumpet? How long is the bass trumpet? How wide is the toolbox?

A trombone gig bag might work better. You could wrap the trumpet and fill in empty spaces with foam padding.

DIYers know that making something themselves is very often more expensive than buying the item they need. They do it for the experience, not the cost savings.

Kent
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago when I bought my Kanstul 1520 Bb/A/G piccolo trumpet, I didn't get the case that they sell separately for the horn. Wasn't impressed with how it held all the extra lead pipes, slides & bells

Found a relatively inexpensive general-purpose tool case at Frye's Electronics in Burbank. Probably paid $20 for it. It looks like a wider, boxier briefcase.

I then took it & the horn (with all its goodies) to Anvil Cases in North Hollywood and asked them to make a custom form-fitting interior for the case. What they came up with was beautiful. There was a slot for everything that held it safe & snug. And the cloth that covered the foam - a plush black-velvety material that looked great and did not scratch the horn.

Mostly I use the case for storage of the bells & slides that I'm not using at any particular time.

A similar case is sold at Harbor Freight.

As far as a case for a bass trumpet, look at inexpensive luggage. I'm sure you'll find something that even has wheels (always a nice option when schlepping).

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
Bstradivarius
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxleyk wrote:
Bstradivarius wrote:
show me a bass trumpet case for $50 and I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

I assume you're talking about a plastic toolbox with snap-locks and maybe wheels? I could see these working in a pinch for cornets or regular trumpets, with enough padding.

What kind of toolbox is big enough to hold a bass trumpet? How long is the bass trumpet? How wide is the toolbox?

A trombone gig bag might work better. You could wrap the trumpet and fill in empty spaces with foam padding.

DIYers know that making something themselves is very often more expensive than buying the item they need. They do it for the experience, not the cost savings.

Kent

Thank you. Yes, $30 plastic toolbox, no wheels, 28 inches. Not heavy at all. Trumpet (rotary valves) is about 23 in long, smaller than the larger bass tpts. It is just barely too long for all trumpet gigbags and cases, and not long enough for a trombone gigbag (or?). It is a 60s model Lidl Bruno, cosmetic wear, not worth that much but I want to treat it right. ( Ill have to see if I still have my saws. If so, I could make the bomb of a custom case and take that toolbox back. But I dont have time.) If I do the toolbox case, Next step is to find the right foam (thank you for foam suggestions). Bread knife to cut the foam is a great idea. Thanks for the felt suggestions. It may look ugly in the end, but I think I can get this done for $50-$60, whereas the cheapest bass trumpet case I can find is $244. It also suits my needs because it is stackable, that is, I have too many trumpets to store a separate bag. This toolbox will be around after doomsday.
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the foam pros use an electric turkey carving knife
it's the same as the serrated knife just electric
works great!!!
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
Years ago when I bought my Kanstul 1520 Bb/A/G piccolo trumpet, I didn't get the case that they sell separately for the horn. Wasn't impressed with how it held all the extra lead pipes, slides & bells.

I took out the block that filled/wasted space in the Kanstul case. I then designed a new layered replacement that I cut out of foam using a laser cutter at work. The slides and pipes now have their own spot to nestle in.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something for the OP to consider: there is a happy medium regarding the tightness of fit inside the case. Too loose and the horn can be damaged on even a short drop (when the horn inside the case comes to a sudden stop), too tight and slides can be warped/bent slightly.

Just my two cents, but as others have said, I don’t have a problem spending 2-400 on a case to protect a horn that might cost ten times that.
I once had a trumpet player remark that my Torpedo case is pricey, I said maybe, but a lot less expensive than what is inside it.

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: