• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Warbonite

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GenoValet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Warbonite Reply with quote

If anyone has experience with this mouthpiece composition from Warburton + Lexan experience, I'd like to hear what you think of timbre differences; specifically how much "...more radiant than Lexan or Delrin..."? See:
http://www.warburton-usa.com/index.php/trumpet-cornet-and-flugelhorn-mouthpieces
Lexan seems to me to have a dead/dull tone. Thanks.
trumanjazzguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also very interested, as they said in testing: a warbonite cup with a brass backbore is appearently more efficient in energy transfer than an all brass set up? Plus, they just look so amazing, and I believe come in a variety of color schemes? So come on boys and girls, let's accessorize our trumpets! (in the most flamboyant voice possible)
‘Pieces:
TPT: 34-throat shallow double-cup, Chet Baker’s Custom Schilke, Bach Corp 3, Bach Mt. Vernon 6C, Ken Titmus BF Custom(s).
CRN: NY Giardinelli 7SV.
FL: Yamaha Bobby Shew
GenoValet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumanjazzguy wrote:
I am also very interested, as they said in testing: a warbonite cup with a brass backbore is apparently more efficient in energy transfer than an all brass set up? Plus, they just look so amazing, and I believe come in a variety of color schemes? So come on boys and girls, let's accessorize our trumpets! (in the most flamboyant voice possible)

Actually I'm interested because of a prior lip injury and an unrelated lip surgery; looking for the best timbre with less stress on the chops than brass. I've also heard that GW mpcs are less taxing, if someone wants to chime in on thoughts on the "comfort/stress" issue regarding stainless steel... Thanks,

Last edited by GenoValet on Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:16 am; edited 1 time in total
oldblow
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recorders have been made from a similar material for years. I think the Dolmetsch line called their version of this material "Dolomite." Apparently the sound is consistent, and in line with traditional recorder sound, because most popular lines of recorders have instruments made from it.

Is nobody friendly enough with Warburton to get a publicity sample??
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I'm playing a custom acrylic mouthpiece that is brand new to my line. I love the feel on my chops and the sound is quite great! Combined with a heavy backbore that's fairly open it works wonderfully. I'm allergic to both silver and gold (very strange allergy for sure) so it's been a quest for me for some time to figure this out. I've never liked the brittleness of stainless in a trumpet (but I'm working on something in the future that might be cool too).

I have tried a TON of stuff, all kinds of different plating, etc. I've found for the best sound the new copper alloy mouthpieces that are gold plated are the best compromise.

The Acrylic pieces are very promising and for me sound much closer to metal pieces than my current Delrin options.

FWIW,
T
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI I recorded a short audio clip playing the acrylic mouthpiece top today...

Link

matthes93401
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing this new Warbonite mouthpiece for a few weeks, so I will reply to the question.

I own mouthpieces of plated brass, Delrin, Lexan, and now... Thanks to Terry Warburton, I have a Warbonite 4MD anchor grip, 28 throat.

The color is patterned turquoise as opposed to the plain white Delrin from Warburton or the assortment of Lexan transparent colors from Kelly. The surface has a little more friction than Delrin or Lexan.

It's not a huge difference, but the Warbonite seems to be a little more responsive and efficient than either type of the plastic. It certainly is better looking. I would describe it as a 15-20% improvement over the plastics.
% CarolBrass Bb Cornet, Eurobell C Trumpet, and Bb Flugelhorn
% Brasspire Unicorn Piccolo Trumpet
richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geno,

30 years ago, I had a Bach lexan piece, and a Schilke delrin. Still have the Schilke.

Discount all I say. It was a long time ago. Both felt great on my chops. And I heard/hear (with respect to the Schilke) nothing sound-wise that degraded timbre.

I don't use the Schilke in favor of other pieces. Don't think the rim has whit to do with it.
matthes93401
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received a PM question about Warbonite and outdoor playing:

The answer is Yes, I think it would be a good choice for outdoors. It doesn't get hot/cold like metal and the material is more resonant than delrin plastic.

I think another thing to consider for outdoor playing would be a smaller number backbore from Warburton (less than a 7).
% CarolBrass Bb Cornet, Eurobell C Trumpet, and Bb Flugelhorn
% Brasspire Unicorn Piccolo Trumpet
zackh411
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine just got one. It has a darker, warmer sound than I expected, and the material itself is very comfortable and grips well.

Lead Piece: Custom PickettBrass
Jazz Piece: Custom Curry TC
Legit Piece: Yamaha Shew Jazz (18 Drill)
Bstradivarius
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got mine. Same size as my workhorse Warburton. I used it to warm up. And, my goodness does it warm up fast! Although te sound is not as resonant to my ears, a stranger who does not know my particular sound won't be able to tell. And it's similar enough that even people I know won't know, or care, or both! For times when I can't warm up, this will be very useful.
Brass Quintet
Brass choir
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrentAustin wrote:
...I'm allergic to both silver and gold (very strange allergy for sure) so it's been a quest for me for some time to figure this out....

I have tried a TON of stuff, all kinds of different plating, etc. I've found for the best sound the new copper alloy mouthpieces that are gold plated are the best compromise.

Hi Trent, sorry I'm not fully understanding. You're saying that the new copper alloy mpcs that are gold plated get the best sound. Is that compared to all mpcs on the market, or just within the context of this discussion? And regarding "the best compromise," are you saying that it is a compromise away from brass and thereby is not as good as brass, but is the best compromise? You said that you're allergic to gold. Does this mean you can play these particular copper/gold mpcs, even though they are gold plated? The gold plated copper alloy sounds very interesting. Do you think it would specifically benefit the OP over anything else on the market by producing more resonance with less effort? Sorry. Not challenging you...just a little ol' confused trumpet player here...
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I can see that being extremely vague. While I am still fighting this issues with allergies (trying a few new patent pending coatings on some of my own gear lately with great results) I meant the acrylic/warbonite with a heavier backbore is a great compromise. I think acoustically the acrylic with a matched backbore on a recording is barely different than the metal counterpart. Perhaps in a different acoustic (like a loud stage or back of an orchestra) you can hear more of a difference. In that case I now make acrylic screw rims matched with metal underparts.

That still might be a bit confusing so anyone can email the shop for more details if wanted (I'm pretty much in "lurk' mode these days on TH as the shop is so busy). Gold Plated copper tops IMO have the best acoustic results overall but still inflame my lips due to the gold.

Best,
Trent
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: