• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Schilke i32 owners

View previous topic :: View next topic  
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Schilke i32 owners Reply with quote

Hi

When I tried a Schilke i32 in October 2017 the seller said it was "a nice little trumpet" as opposed to "top of the line" horns he had in stock.

I remember I liked the i32 a lot better than six Bach trumpets (various models) I tried that day.

Last week I tried a S32HD that belongs to friend and I liked it a lot.

I tried the i32 and the S32HD with my own mouthpiece (ACB MV3C) and, if I can remember right, the main difference is that the S32HD had a fatter sound while the i32 was more agile an bright.
I guess the S32HD is heavier and the i32 is lightweight.

Both are very easy to play and both of them take a regular mouthpiece shank. That's great, because I struggled a lot with the receiver of the Schilke B line and it's actually a relieve to find a Schilke trumpet that takes all my mouthpieces.

So, for those who own an i32, why some people (such as that seller I mentioned here) say the i32 is an "intermediate level trumpet"?

And what could you tell me about built quality and durability?

Thank you!
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Schilke i32 owners Reply with quote

abundrefo wrote:
So, for those who own an i32, why some people (such as that seller I mentioned here) say the i32 is an "intermediate level trumpet"?

And what could you tell me about built quality and durability?

When Schilke first listed the i32 on their website, I believe they used language implying it was a lesser trumpet. However, that wording didn't last for long and they changed it. It's also priced about $500 less than any other Schilke trumpet.

When I bought my i32 at the ITG in Anaheim a few years ago, I asked one of the Schilke representatives there similar questions to the ones you're asking here. He told me that when they first conceived of this trumpet, they thought they would be able to manufacture it in fewer hours than their other trumpets. He said they discovered it couldn't be done; they had to put in the same number of hours as their other trumpets required. He told me it was of no lesser quality than their other models. I asked if the bell was the same on their previous S-32 model; he said, no. The bell on the i32 is similar but not the same. I asked about the significantly lower price. He told me they decided to keep the low price point on this model and take a smaller profit.

I can't imagine that this i32 is any less durable than any other Schilke I previously owned or currently own. It looks like it will hold up just as well as other Schilkes.

I cannot attest to the build quality of this horn compared to my other Schilkes. There may be subtle differences that I am unable to detect. However, I can say that it seems more carefully built in comparison to another name brand trumpet that I own.
F.E. Olds Nut
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The i32 is also built on a different valve section than the B and S series trumpets. The balusters are more barrel shaped and the braces between the casings are not hexagonal. I am not sure if that is only cometic.
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at some pictures of both horns I mentioned here, and it seems there's a difference in the bell bow shape. The i32 bell bow is more elliptic than the rounder bell bow of the S32HD. Seems like it has a lower, off-center vertex.

Also, the i32 top cap rubber/felt seems thicker. It seems it's taller than the valve cap. Does it give a shorter valve throw?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: