• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Schilke S22C Trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yogadidit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Schilke S22C Trumpet Reply with quote

Does anyone have experience with playing the Schilke S22C trumpet? How is the intonation, openness and ease of playing? I play a Schilke B4L Bb, and love it. My current C is medium bore Bb-C convertible Bach from the 1960's--an inexperienced mistake when I bought it. It is stuffy and has intonation issues. It is unplayably out of tune in Bb, and takes a lot more adjustment than my Schilke Bb when the Bach is played in C. I'm debating between the S22C or a Bach Chicago C, but am afraid I will have the same intonation issues with a Bach. Any advice would be appreciated. I wish I could play them each to compare, but am not near anyone who has both in stock.
MV Bach 239C/Bb
Yamaha 6330II Cornet
Getzen 895 Eterna Flugel
Dillon Piccolo
Richard A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Schilke S22CHD & Bach 229/25H Reply with quote

I have a Bach 229/25H and a Schilke S22CHD. I prefer the Schilke sound, and the notes that are out of tune on the Schilke are the same ones that are out of tune on the Bach, i.e., fourth line D and fourth space E and E-flat.[/b]
Yogadidit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Schilke S22C Trumpet Reply with quote

Why do you prefer the Schilke sound? Does it have more core? Is it brighter than the Bach? Are both horns easy to play with similar ease of range and pitch placement? Which horn is more open--the Bach or Schilke? Thanks for your reply.
MV Bach 239C/Bb
Yamaha 6330II Cornet
Getzen 895 Eterna Flugel
Dillon Piccolo
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine has the S22C (non HD).

A lot of people enjoy playing it (when we ask to try it). I feel it is definitely "more open" than the bach, but that means different things for different people. It is definitely easier to play in my opinion than a 229H or a chicago C. I own a Chicago C and if I could choose again I would go with the Schilke.

I personally don't think that the Chicago C has nearly as much body of sound/core as any of the standard C's out there. The schilke S22C (non HD) has just a little less core than lets say a standard 229 or a Yamaha Chicago C. I can only imagine the HD are an improvement on the already great S22. I would look into that one.

For me...and many...the Chicago C is too tough to get that "move a building" sound that we have come to know and love. The response is seductive...but the sound is our money maker. It just lacks something in the sound. I know that may cause debate, but I am just sharing my own opinion.

Schilke sound as compared to the Chicago. Schilke has more body/guts.
Brighter isn't really a good word. I would say the Chicago is brighter (in that it accentuates the high harmonics...and sounds a little brittle). I prefer the schilke color. Schilke is easier to play (easier to lean into). Pitch is standard C pitch...better than 229H easily. Similar pitch tendencies from both horns.

I have only really played my chicago C and schilke S22 though...so take all that with a HUGE grain of salt.
stanton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My buddy has a Bach Chicago C which he upgraded from his 239. Sounds and plays pretty well. He likes it a lot. It is very similar to my 1981 229, which now has a Charlie Melk lead pipe and a cut down Bb tuning crook.

Personally I like the 239 better than the 229 and it seems that all C trumpets have tuning issues. I had a Benge C trumpet awhile back and it wasn't any better.

As others have mentioned, Yamaha C's are now a worthy option as the CSO has switched to Yamaha. I'm sure Wayne Tanabe has somehow had his hand in the Yamaha build.
Stanton Kramer "Signature" Mouthpiece
Richard A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Schilke S22C Trumpet Reply with quote

Yogadidit wrote:
Why do you prefer the Schilke sound? Does it have more core? Is it brighter than the Bach? Are both horns easy to play with similar ease of range and pitch placement? Which horn is more open--the Bach or Schilke? Thanks for your reply.

The Schilke seems to land on the pitch better, at least to me.
richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stanton wrote:
the CSO has switched to Yamaha.

This is so, and not trumpet players' hanging out at the wash line chewing the fat?

Honest question, not being snarky. I honestly do not know.
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to hear one I think I say a vdeo of one on Youtube. I do not recall if it was the C or Bb HD. In fact I think HornTradder had some when they first came out and had a video on your tube as well!

Sorry I thought you wanted info on the HD version.

Last edited by Capt.Kirk on Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total
WFUnix
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned a Schilke S22C for about 12 years. Its build quality was superb with very good intonation and a nice sound for playing in church, quintet, etc. I eventually replaced it with a Yamaha NY that I thought sounded better, and then a year or so later I replaced the Yamaha NY with a Bach Artisan that I thought sounded even better! The Yamaha NY and Artisan both have a more orchestral sound to my ears with better projection. I got the S22C when I was playing a Schilke B2Lb Bb, and the S22C was definitely more open to me than the B2Lb. Like others have said, I found that I needed alternate fingerings with top space E and Eb. Middle C played a hair high (easy to lip down), and 4th line D was easily lipable up to pitch.
JonathanPhillips

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by JonathanPhillips on Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:
I personally don't think that the Chicago C has nearly as much body of sound/core as any of the standard C's out there. The schilke S22C (non HD) has just a little less core than lets say a standard 229 or a Yamaha Chicago C. I can only imagine the HD are an improvement on the already great S22. I would look into that one.

For me...and many...the Chicago C is too tough to get that "move a building" sound that we have come to know and love. The response is seductive...but the sound is our money maker. It just lacks something in the sound. I know that may cause debate, but I am just sharing my own opinion.

I think you may be on to something, although apparently a lot of people get along with the Bach Chicago. I perceived something similar (with my playing anyway) trying out both the Chicago and Philly models side by side extensively.

I think the "this is like the horn Bud played" thing has sold more Chicago models than the actual sound coming out of the bell, but that's just a -- perhaps jaded -- opinion. I opted for the Philly model, which is essentially the same horn, but with a standard weight bell.

The more time I spend on it, the more I like it.
gdghorn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been playing mine in the St. Louis Philharmonic since 1994. No one has ever suggested I switch to a Bach. I love the horn and wouldn't think of switching.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: