• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

carol brass? good or bad?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpcyms1993
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: carol brass? good or bad? Reply with quote

I've never played any of there horns but all of the videos and reviews Ive seen of them sound good and everyone who plays them seem to like them. Im considering their flugelhorn in the near. Does anyone have experience with the CFL-6200-GSS-SLB carol brass flugel? or any of the other carol brass instruments?
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: carol brass? good or bad? Reply with quote

Trumpcyms1993 wrote:
Does anyone have experience with the CFL-6200-GSS-SLB carol brass flugel? or any of the other carol brass instruments?

I've purchased a Carol CPT-300LR Pocket Trumpet about 15 months ago. I play it at work, several hours a week. The horn and the valves are holding up well.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are fantastic!!!! If money was no object and I wanted mass produced trumpet I would still buy a Carol over other mass produced brands like Kanstul, Bach,Conn and so on.
loweredsixth
Heavyweight Member

Location: Fresno, California, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use that flugel. It's the best flugel I've ever played!
ALaschiver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Carol vs American Reply with quote

Why not consider a used pro horn, made in American such as a L.A. Benge...found on ebay from 700.00 to 1000.00. Fabulous horn and fabulous value..........and it was made in American.
Retlaw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is well known that Eclipse flugels are some of the finest.... made right here in the UK.... personally the best flugel I have played is made in Holland by Hub Van Laar. Europe seems to have a real handle on the sound... Now US trumpets...Olds...Schilke ...Bach..I like those.....

Walter
gregplo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just check my signature...I'm pretty much playing all CarolBrass instruments now. They are all well made, with great stainless steel valves, and at a very good price for a new pro horn. (Anybody who says they aren't building pro horns may want to take that up with the artists playing CarolBrass horns).

At the very least, you need to check out the Flugelhorn and see how it plays for you. I love mine.
P. Mauriat PMT-75 (Ti/Copper)
Conn 61B
Benge 90B
Conn 80B LB
CarolBrass Arturo Sandoval Pocket Trumpet
CarolBrass CFL-620R
Getzen CB 610

Remember...when He returns, the trumpet shall sound....
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregplo wrote:
Just check my signature...I'm pretty much playing all CarolBrass instruments now. They are all well made, with great stainless steel valves, and at a very good price for a new pro horn. (Anybody who says they aren't building pro horns may want to take that up with the artists playing CarolBrass horns).

That would be the good.

The bad? You are not supporting your American craftsmen, who make at least a comparable if not superior instrument.
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also look at George Rawlin's new offering, the Solista Flugelhorn, which he's currently selling at an obscenely low price:

http://grawlin.com/index2.html

I know some folks who are playing this who say it's a very good pro-quality instrument.
TrumpetAce
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By purchasing a CarolBrass instrument, you will be suppoting American-Owned small businesses.
http://austincustombrass.com/instruments http://www.xstreammouthpieces.com/carolbrass-trumpet/ http://californiamusicsupply.com/CarolBrass_Models.html
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
By purchasing a CarolBrass instrument, you will be suppoting American-Owned small businesses
who would have to sell you an American made horn if they didn't have any Carols. It's the same thing, dude. You want what you want and you don't care how you get it.
http://www.freeofstate.org/new/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/themyth.pdf
loweredsixth
Heavyweight Member

Location: Fresno, California, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crzytptman wrote:
gregplo wrote:

That would be the good.

The bad? You are not supporting your American craftsmen, who make at least a comparable if not superior instrument.

Unless the OP does not live in America. If he lives in Germany, then he should buy German-made horns only. Or if he lives in Tawain, then he should buy Tawain-made horns. Or if he lives in Spain, then he should only buy horns made in Spain. People are only allowed to buy products that are made in their country. No sharing allowed!
TrumpetAce
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="crzytptman"]
Quote:
You want what you want and you don't care how you get it.
http://www.freeofstate.org/new/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/themyth.pdf

--- Is there an American manufacturer that offers the product line-up and options that CarolBrass offers? If so, let me know.
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legendary craftsmen in Germany. Stomvi and Fides in Spain. Not sure where Tawain is . . .

Quote:
Is there an American manufacturer that offers the product line-up and options that CarolBrass offers? If so, let me know.

Keep trying to justify it!

Who did you check with? What more do you want than a great playing instrument?
loweredsixth
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crzytptman wrote:
Legendary craftsmen in Germany. Stomvi and Fides in Spain. Not sure where Tawain is . . .

Quote:
Is there an American manufacturer that offers the product line-up and options that CarolBrass offers? If so, let me know.

Keep trying to justify it!

Who did you check with? What more do you want than a great playing instrument?

Taiwan. I understand how you could have no idea what I was referring to. That was a hideous spelling error.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm in favor of "buy American", if (IF) there is a manufacturer in another country that builds a very good horn at a lesser price.....well, it's a free market.
Competition is a fact of business, a comparable or even better product at a lesser consumer cost is probably going to get (at least eventually) a large share of the market, regardless of where it was built.

Brad361
lmf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrumpetAce wrote:
By purchasing a CarolBrass instrument, you will be suppoting American-Owned small businesses.
http://austincustombrass.com/instruments http://www.xstreammouthpieces.com/carolbrass-trumpet/ http://californiamusicsupply.com/CarolBrass_Models.html

Yeah!

Lloyd
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS: If you play a Yamaha, you're a communist. Or something.
Trumpcyms1993
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying a horn simply because it is american is not what thread I posted was about. I wanted to know how people felt about the quality of carol brass instruments not about the buying american products vs foreign products debate. If american companies want people to buy their horns theyll either raise there quality or lower their prices. The fact that a horn is american doesnt make it better and the fact that a horn is from japan or taiwan doesnt mean it is bad. No one at an audition or a gig is going to earn the job or care where the horn that someone is using was built.

Now back to "how do you feel about the quality of carol brass instruments(if you have any experience with them)"
OldEmo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought their old logo model CFL-620, which is the all yellow brass standard model with Amado style waterkeys. I understand that they did not change the design with the new logo, only added more material options.

Now I have to admit I never played a flugel before that, just listened to them, but I have a pretty good idea what sound I want and this one comes real close to that, using the mouthpiece that comes with it. Feels not as comfortable to me as my Wedge, which is why I ordered the latter for my new Flugel as well, but some might like it. With more practice, it will sound exactly like it want it to.

Intonation is very good, response and slotting is great, not too tight and not too loose. The 3rd valve trigger works well but I find the spring a little tight. I don't need to use it much, though. The valves were real nice when I got the instrument, and after some weeks of playing and repeated cleaning they are now better than anything I've ever seen.

The lacquer seems very thin but well applied everywhere. I did not find any imperfections with assembly, either. Overall better than my B&S. Only the heavy valve caps had some very small spots, which is why I got a discount at the shop.

There are two leadpipes, one for trumpet shanks and one for standard/Yamaha style shanks. Good to have that.

In my opinion this is all the flugel I'll ever need.

Another thing - I'm German, I live in Thailand, I got a Taiwanese flugel and a Canadian mouthpiece. I sold my German B&S trumpet and ordered a Carolbrass instead. From a Thai dealer. Should I feel guilty now...?

Carolbrass are a mid sized family business with an apparent sense for quality. They don't just copy others but they actually did their own development, of course based on what's already there. Nobody needs to invent the wheel again. They aren't that well known yet, and their cost is lower as others it seems. Was this company located in Europe or in the US, nobody would say anything. But they are in Asia, even Taiwan...ewww that's just the same as old evil CHINA isn't it, where we outsourced all our labor intensive production to! Now they want to develop products on their own and dig into our pockets, that's outrageous!

It is my opinion that anyone who develops and makes a good product at a good price deserves good business. Anywhere. Protecting local markets may prolong the existence of older businesses to some extent, but at the end of the day it increases prices, reduces quality and stifles local development. Without serious competition, there is no need to improve products or efficiency.

German tradition in instrument making goes back a very, very long way. If someone in Taiwan can hold up against that, perhaps even surpass, then it is well deserved for both sides.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: