• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Brisbois Breathing exercises

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Brisbois Breathing exercises Reply with quote

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has or does these breathing exercises (see below)i just came across. I practice the Gordon walking / breathing exercises each day, but i thought this sounded interesting.

I am not sure if im doing them right, as i am confused as to why the shirt has to be off. Do you put your hands as high as say under the rib cage, and what should i be seeing when i do them? Is it simply the hands spreading out when you take the breath in?

Any help/comments appreciated.

Cheers
EricV

Quote:

The best breathing exercise I have ever known, and this works within a week. Stand in front of a mirror, without a shirt on. This takes one week, ten minutes a day. Put your hands high on your sides and take a breath and try to push your hands out as far as you can. Then count slowly as you release your air (1, 2, 3, …) as soon as you completely out of air, take another huge breath. Make sure you are watching yourself in the mirror. The first day you may be able to get up to 15 or 16, by the end of the week, your up to 25, 30, 35, 40, some up to 50 and 60. This is the normal way to breath and take in air, and so few of us really know how to do it. I didn’t know how to do it until I went to see this Dr. to help my singing. That is the proper breath to take. Now as I said before, we don’t take in that huge of a breath to play trumpet. We don’t take in as much air as we possibly can, take the air in to fill what we just developed. Repeat this for ten minutes a day.

Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with this exercise but I'm assuming the concept is to try to get some expansion and flexibility in the rib cage as well as in the abs area. I suppose the shirt being removed allows one to either see the movement of he hands as they move outward (and it won't be very much) or to act as motivation to do some good for the rest of your bod by going out and starting running or some other routine .

Similarly, if one sits on a chair, bends far forward, places the hands on the kidney regions of the back and inhales deeply, you will also notice expansion and flexing of the same muscles and others as the breath starts to "straighten" you up in the chair.

A lot of breathing exercises (IMO) are more effective at first if there is some sort of felt resistance against the expansion of the breath- hands, the floor/wall, a belt, etc. Better to feel, or create resistance at the breathing apparatus than adding it by sticking the tongue in the way, or by creating a valsalva-type issue when starting the wind. Good luck.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO breathing exercises are to build an awareness of the breath.
solo soprano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The purpose of the Breathing Exercises, more specifically the Claude Gordon exercises is to train you to keep the chest up comfortably while breathing. This will allow the lungs to expand to their fullest.

Here's Claude's Breathing Exercises:

Standing Exercise
1. Stand against a wall with your shoulders back, chest up.
2. Breathe in slowly through your nose until you are comfortably full, with the chest up.
3. Let the air out through your mouth, but DO NOT LET THE CHEST DROP.
4. Repeat this for five breaths, gradually work up to ten.
5. Practice this exercise several times a day until keeping the chest up while breathing begins to feel natural.

Walking Exercise
1. Walk at a comfortable pace, and with each step take in a short breath
through your nose. Gauge it so you are full on the fifth step. (Keep the
chest up.)
2. Walk five more steps, holding the CHEST UP and the lungs full.
3. Walk five more steps while letting the air out through your mouth. Gauge
it so you are empty on the fifth steps. (Chest stays up.)
4. Walk five more steps, holding the chest up with the lungs empty.
5. Repeat the cycle, going two or three blocks.
6. Each week add one breath until you can go TEN IN, TEN HOLD, TEN OUT
and TEN EMPTY.
7. When you can do the TEN BREATH CYCLE for one mile without dropping chest, you are ready for the Jogging Exercise

Jogging Exercise :
1. Now drop back to the Five Breath Cycle, and start jogging instead of walking.
2. Build up to the Ten Breath Cycle gradually.
3. When you can jog one mile or more using the Ten Breath Cycle, keeping the Chest Up for the entire distance, you will have acquired the habit of keeping the chest up comfortably while breathing.
Mjp1066

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: