• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Parduba Trumpet mouthpiece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VOLVOS70

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject: Parduba Trumpet mouthpiece Reply with quote

Hi everyone. Just had a question. I have a parduba 7.5 that I purchased many years ago and just picked up what looks to be an older parduba 6.5 mouthpiece. Are the older parduba mouthpieces all like this in the photo. It is clearly different from what I'm used to. Has it been modified? Thanks

[img][/img]

VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They evolved over the years and copies were made. What you have are a classic piece on the left, and a modern version on the right, made by someone who bought the rights to make copies.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
VOLVOS70

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird, the piece on the right last picture looks to be the older model but looks like the rim was modified
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLVOS70 wrote:
Weird, the piece on the right last picture looks to be the older model but looks like the rim was modified

I believe it was. Some of those have flat rims, but the bite is never that sharp.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one on the right was made by Dick Akright, under license.

I acquired several from him, for both Trumpet and Cornet. He modified them for me, and assisted in selecting the pertinent model for the specific horns I was playing, one being very unique that had vexed me.

I also have a few original Parduba's.

The copies and the originals played identically. Any differences were merely cosmetic, due to machining and turning concerns.

~ r2 ~
deplorable horn player

I miss Genghis Khan ....
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah unfortunately the one appears to have been ground flat - unlikely to be great
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
Yeah unfortunately the one appears to have been ground flat - unlikely to be great

Probably cut flat on a lathe. YOu could have the piece cut for threads by Bob Reeves or whatever maker you favor and have one of thier rims or a custom rim fit to it.
trumanjazzguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any good tech should be able to shape that knife-blade modified bite into a useable soft bite, and re-silver the rim. May actually end up more comfy than the original pieces!
‘Pieces:
TPT: 34-throat shallow double-cup, Chet Baker’s Custom Schilke, Bach Corp 3, Bach Mt. Vernon 6C, Ken Titmus BF Custom(s).
CRN: NY Giardinelli 7SV.
FL: Yamaha Bobby Shew
trumpet.trader
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remembered reading this from Tony Scodwell a while ago on a Parduba thread and it’s history and rebirth:

“Dick Akright makes the most consistent Parduba's that ever were. His will be the same mouthpiece after mouthpiece. Now comes the qualifier...
Dick's copies are only going to be as good as the Parduba he copied when he bought the company and as many have said here, the variables were endless.

John Parduba did not have modern technology at his disposal and I have been told, his "tooling" was a shaped end of a file to cut the rims and cups on the brass blanks. Naturally this would wear over the years and things changed. When I played with Harry, he used the same 5* HJ model for the years I was with him. I have had the opportunity to play some old Parduba's that John made next to the newer ones Dick makes today. The same 5* HJ model was quite different. Throat size on the new one was 27 and the old was a 25, which did not appear to ever have been drilled out.

When I drilled the newer one out to a 25 hole, it did work better with my King balanced that I got from Harry in 1968. That combination really does work but the trouble is, try and find a King Symphonic Super 20 with a sterling bell and leadpipe in the balanced configuration that Harry used. Mine is perfect and will never be cheap when I decide to sell it someday. As for the Parduba mouthpieces being used on other horns, lots of guys on the band over the years used them, Nick Buono being one of them.

For what it's worth, when Ray Amado came up with the original Jet-Tone designs, Parduba was his role model. Ray designed his line of Jet-Tones with a more friendly rim [albeit quite wide] and the mouthpieces he did for Doc, Snooky, Maynard etc. were much more conventional in approach, especially Doc's standard 5C style, unlike the standard Jet-Tones in his line-up.
Tony Scodwell
Scodwell USA Trumpets and Flugelhorns available only at Washington Music Center, call Lee Walkowich at 301.946.8808”
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: