• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tongue On Lips & Oven Grill Grids

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve0930
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Tongue On Lips & Oven Grill Grids Reply with quote

Hello BE Explorers

1 My TOL has really benefited from this piece "Si tu vois ma mere" by Sidney Bechet - I have been playing it maybe 10 times a day - so treating it like a BE exercise: (not worrying unduly if sometimes the tone does not sound so good) found this on You tube. (I remember Jeff writing once that 10 mins TOL a day is going to be time well spent..)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izdhg6N4Usw&ab_channel=Trumpeter%27sStuff

2. The grill pan grid comes to my rescue .
I was in the kitchen trying to explain to my wife how preBE my image for playing high was like climbing - the steeper it got the harder and more daunting it became but thanks to BE I'm now starting to "get it."

I looked round for something to illustrate the point and ended up pulling out the oven grill (a sheet of 20 or so steel parallel bars) And then showed how BE was helping me to see that every note on the trumpet is one of these spaces - the idea that it's somehow harder to put your finger in one oven grill space than another is ridiculous. It's the same on the trumpet. If you can't play the note it's cos you (or rather your lips) haven't found the space - more effort is not going to unlock anything. This means
1) When I am doing my roll in / roll outs and lip slurs I'm really focusing on clicking / snapping between these spaces. It also means if I can't get the note eg a c above the staff - it does not faze me the way it used to. "Leave it - that space not here for you now Steve - but probably will be in 30 minutes times after a rest"
2) I am now more focused on the earlier ALS exercises eg 1 -7 - less in a race to get the next scout badge.. (I think I only ever got 5 or 6 of those!)
3) generally feeling more relaxing when playing BE exercises above the staff/ focusing on opening up at the back of my throat / seeing if the space is there for me but not striving for it.

Hope you are all in good shape and in these tough times enjoying the trumpet!

stay safe - Steve in Helsinki -
LFRoberts5
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In My Opinion

TOL gets the lips in the right position.

ALS with snaps gets the lips moving in the right direction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: