• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Calicchio horn lost in transit. Please help!

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
novaj5

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Calicchio horn lost in transit. Please help! Reply with quote

I have my main axe Calicchio 1s7 lost in transit while sending it to Mr. John Duda for repairs + bell change. It was last spotted in CHICAGO IL INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER on the 4th of December. Is there any way to contact these people?

Serial number is 7550 and its 2nd slide is broken (popped off trying to push it a little forward after an accidental knocking to the floor). If anyone sees it, please PLEASE let me know.

The postal service here (in South Korea) is saying that they can't compensate for the loss because I didn't opt for the insurance - which I was never notified of. I'm trying to contact the Chicago center, talk to the guys over here and possibly build a new horn all at the same time. It's driving me nuts!

If anyone had a similar experience or have a word or two as an advice, please tell me. I'm also about to leave a comment on USPS facebook page.
Van Laar BR2 Flugelhorn
trumpet.trader
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes things get slowed down in customs when coming in the US.

I’ve had a few shipments that went smoothly and recently one that was very slow. With little to no communication which was really frustrating

When shipping internationally I’ve found things sometimes go through the US Post instead of UPS or FedEx and the tracking isn’t as easily followed or tracked.

Perhaps with the tension in the Peninsula things from Korea maybe are having to go through some extra scrutiny when in transit and maybe slowing things down?

Either way, stay patient and vigilant and I hope it get sorted and spotted soon!
novaj5

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, thank you for the kinds words! I hope all the international / political affairs don't come into play with this one

I am wondering if marking it as a gift caused any problems... I always noted somewhere that it was for repairs when I sent it previously but didn't have an option this time, registering the parcel on a smartphone app. It has already traveled back and forth a couple times with no problems! I would have to try calling them in the next couple of days. Hopefully I can get some answers or clues. I thought it has passed the customs but I might be wrong.

December 4, 2017, 9:05 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
CHICAGO IL INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER
Your item arrived at our USPS facility in CHICAGO IL INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER on December 4, 2017 at 9:05 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

December 4, 2017, 9:05 am
Inbound Out of Customs

December 3, 2017, 9:35 am
Processed Through Facility
ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS)
Van Laar BR2 Flugelhorn
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, marking the box as a gift, when in fact you are sending it for repair is not a wise choice. Not inquiring and taking out insurance is another.

It sounds tough, but this is a fact of life! If you want your instrument to arrive, then just to what you need to in order to get it there safely and do not scrimp on the cost. The C trumpet I have played for over 10 years cost almost $600 to ship out from Canada, plus broker fees and taxes. It's just money, whereas if you lose the instrument, it's the shipping, the money AND the horn which are all gone.

This all said, I have never had an issue with the USPS, as long as it was insured and tracked. It may take time to clear customs - who will wonder why a repair facility is getting a trumpet gifted to them - but it has always arrived.

cheers

Andy
novaj5

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, maybe I was too naive thinking that they would compensate for what they have lost? But I still think it's just not right - in my opinion insurance would be something I pay for in case they have damaged the item. If not being insured means they have no responsibility or liability whatsoever over the loss, I would be quite puzzled.

Having to pay $600+ to ship out a trumpet to another country? Whoa that is much heftier than what I would expect, unless it's including the customs tariff as well, and you're sending it for business/sales. But again things are different in different countries... over here the insurance cost would've just been somewhere around $20, and yes I'm kicking myself for it.

I concur with how one should do all it could to make sure something gets done, but at the same time, there are also realistic measures. I would certainly be more careful though! I send and receive parcels internationally every now and then, and have never had an issue before. I would have to pursuit and speak to people further, but if it ends up as a complete loss + no compensation, this must be a hard lesson learnt for me. Really wish it's just taking time somewhere!
Van Laar BR2 Flugelhorn
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a search under terms like "Theft by postal workers" and you'll see why it's a really bad idea to label something with words like "gift". There are some bottom-feeders who work for the post office. Chicago has a high crime rate - postal workers come from the local population.

I was at a FedEx distribution center in a mid-sized city looking for a package - floor employees had to go through metal detectors and get past a security person entering and leaving. Presumably not because as a group the employee pool has proven to be highly trustworthy.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
trumpet.trader
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
Do a search under terms like "Theft by postal workers" and you'll see why it's a really bad idea to label something with words like "gift". There are some bottom-feeders who work for the post office. Chicago has a high crime rate - postal workers come from the local population.

I was at a FedEx distribution center in a mid-sized city looking for a package - floor employees had to go through metal detectors and get past a security person entering and leaving. Presumably not because as a group the employee pool has proven to be highly trustworthy.

I avoid using USPS for several reasons, but this is one major reason. Fed jobs no longer require a “check the box” section of the employment application where you have to let them know if you’ve been convicted of a felony or not. And in major cities like Chicago. I’d rather not have those guys handling my packages or showing up on my doorstep for me to sign for a delivery.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah it is likely stolen. my sympathy. it's some scumbag's way of dealing with the economy. i would be surprised if it sold for more $50. and not surprised if it sold for much less.
with every story like this there is the mystical hand of fate in play. it opens a person to ridicule to talk like this. crazy nate as the last example had his WT celebration stolen out of his trunk (?), was devastated, but honestly is an earner and wound up finding he liked the regular WT much better. he lost a mt. vernon 3C with the trumpet and found that he liked flip's 3C-O better as well. fate, or the divine hand, allowed him to lose one horn and mouthpiece, get another, and be much happier.
you may be ready for some different horn. playing evolves, your ear evolves, and you are no longer the same person who bought that horn.
novaj5

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I tried calling USPS as well as their customer affairs center in Chicago, but to no use. Have waited over an hour on the international call and just had to hang up. Looking at how things are run, I wouldn't expect them to be of much help to be honest.

It's daunting, but looks like I would have to leave it to fortune for my horn to show up in the future.

Chuck// It's funny how you mention the hand of fate since I actually did think about this. Long story short I was indeed asking myself ~ for a while before having it knocked down ~ if I should get a new one with some changes. The 1s/7, which is lost, was the best playing horn that I've ever put my hands on so far (for me), so I was hesitant, but after it's gone missing I thought it might have been my subconscious mind that decided to make an excuse to justify the change and unconsciously knocking it down. I would still really like to have it back and keep it with me if at all possible. But maybe it's about time I moved on, like you said. Thank you, it kinda soothes the pain.
Van Laar BR2 Flugelhorn
MikeyMike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck to you and please keep us posted on how it turns out. Don't assume the worst. All sorts of reasons why packages get delayed and all sorts of stories out there about how packages get reunited with owners after amazingly long periods of time. Also note:

A) Crime is universal. It's not just "those people" in Chicago and FedEx is hardly the only place with metal detectors at entry/exit points. No telling how many different carriers/companies/people handle a package in transit.

B) Claiming something is a "gift" on a Customs Form is a CRIME.

C) Anybody who's dumb enough to pay a claim to a sender who says "My (uninsured) package went missing and it's REALLY VALUABLE so give me a metric ton of money" would be out of business in a month. There are crooks on both sides of that equation. The Inquirer pays for sob stories, the Post Office/FedEx/Private Carriers don't.

D) IQ test here: What is the higher priority for a company, tracking down UNINSURED packages that might just be bogus claims or tracking down INSURED packages where a big dollar reimbursement is on the line? Sorry, but NOT insuring it just marks it as an easy target for an unethical employee.

On top of all that you sent it internationally. How many times do you think it got X-rayed? How many people do you think figured out what was in the UNINSURED box?
trumpet.trader
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man if I had the extra chedda laying around, I’d scoop up this Calicchio from the market place.

https://www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=102816&s=1970s-Calicchio-1s7
DrKristensen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, by coincidence I saw this posting on eBay:

link

Is this the horn you are looking for? The serial number on one of the photos appears to be identical with the one that got lost.

The auction ends in 6 days, so there might be a chance of getting your horn back (I don't know how, though).

Kind regards,
Kjetil from Oslo, Norway
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrKristensen wrote:
Hi, by coincidence I saw this posting on eBay:

link

Is this the horn you are looking for? The serial number on one of the photos appears to be identical with the one that got lost.

The auction ends in 6 days, so there might be a chance of getting your horn back (I don't know how, though).

Kind regards,
Kjetil from Oslo, Norway

Great spot - Good on you!
novaj5

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much DrKristensen and TKSop!

Yes I've looked it up just now and it IS indeed the very horn that's gone missing. I can also see from the plating on the tuning slide braces (they look different because one was put on later when I converted it to the 7 leadpipe).

I'm not sure if I can report to the police or ebay up for this, but I'll first talk to John Duda and see what I can do. Please also give me some suggestions!

p.s.
Sorry for lousy updates from my side - I saw that some threads / replies have gone missing and was not sure what to do so I kinda faded away since then.
I've been struggling to get any real compensation on my side and were just going through different places to talk to all along. Now this...!
Van Laar BR2 Flugelhorn
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe there's a "report item" button somewhere on the page - I don't know whether there's an option under there to report the item as stolen to/through Ebay? Or whether that's the most effective way to go about it?

I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if you need to be able to demonstrate that it belongs to you?

Talking to John is a very good idea - he may well have some idea how to proceed.
I don't know whether the seller would appreciate being informed that they're handling stolen goods... on the one hand, if they've got any morals they won't want to sell it - on the other hand, if they haven't then it could well get pulled and go underground again.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love TH community. .........
Well done guys .

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
DrKristensen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy to help out. The "no reserve" caught my attention - I believe that's not common for such an attractive horn.

Best of luck getting your horn back!
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even with insurance, settling a claim with USPS can be an exercise in frustration. I shipped a vintage Schilke off for a chem clean and valve alignment. I sent it Priority Express, supposedly the USPS's best and most expensive form of shipping. The horn was fully insured. The horn arrived with the bell crushed. The horn was expertly packaged, as confirmed by the official inspection that was performed by a US Postal employee. And yet it took 6 months, multiple phone calls, and my having to contact my United States Congressman before the USPS paid off on the claim.

I have been using USPS Priority Express because, although expensive, I felt I was avoiding the horrors stories associated with FedEx and UPS. At this point, I am not sure what the best way to ship a horn is. However, from now on, I will be shipping in a custom reinforced box that I make in my shop.
steevo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

novaj5 wrote:
I'm not sure if I can report to the police or ebay up for this, but I'll first talk to John Duda and see what I can do. Please also give me some suggestions!
'

DON'T WAIT to talk to John Duda. Start taking action NOW. (If I read this correctly, you sent the trumpet. As the sender, you are the damaged party.) Time is not on your side here.

As the last known location of the trumpet was in Chicago, file a report with the Chicago police. You can do this online.

https://home.chicagopolice.org/online-services/online-crime-reporting/
At the very least, you will have a case number.

Contact eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/stolen-property-policy?id=4334]

https://pages.ebay.com/securitycenter/law_enforcement.html

You may also want to contact the USPS and alert them as well.

Good luck!
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick search says you are to report to local law enforcement and then they contact ebay. The seller is listed as being in Tucker, Georgia, so you could try them. You could also try the location of the repair shop to which you were sending it. Alternately, you could ask a police department in Korea to contact them. Just some brainstorming...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: