• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Calicchio horn lost in transit. Please help!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like USPS auctions items that are: "undeliverable, unclaimed, damaged, and claim-paid..."

https://about.usps.com/doing-business/auctions/welcome.htm
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Bach 7C mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece
www.jazzscales.org
The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
I believe there's a "report item" button somewhere on the page - I don't know whether there's an option under there to report the item as stolen to/through Ebay? Or whether that's the most effective way to go about it?

You can NOT report it as stolen to eBay. They don't care - not their problem.

I would start with the police department in Tucker GA.

Gary.

Last edited by ghelbig on Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

novaj5 wrote:
mm5, do you have any links or screenshots that he included that text in his eBay ads? Thank you for loads of information, btw!

It's in cached versions of eBay auction pages. Cached on google. The wording has apparently been deleted from all of his eBay auctions, after google cached the pages.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:8PlINVlfynEJ:https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SHINS-MUSIC-CLEAN-DRIVE-CUSTOM-BOOSTER-PEDAL-BLUE-HAMMER-/122966183036+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Or google search on the phrase "Please don’t send any harassing message about how this is stolen. " (include the quotation marks). In the results, to the right of a page's URL, there's a little "down arrow" triangle. Click on that triangle and select "Cached".
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

novaj5 wrote:
Thank you BillyM. I'll ask him for the proof. Should help me at least track down if it's valid.

I know that how the seller comes out of this is hardly anyone's first concern (especially as he seems determined to sell it despite everything), but if he actually did buy it from USPS, then he should atleast be able to recoup what it cost him - sure, no profits, but it'd still be the right thing to do (and it'd prevent his reputation getting further trashed).
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm55 wrote:
novaj5 wrote:
mm5, do you have any links or screenshots that he included that text in his eBay ads? Thank you for loads of information, btw!

It's in cached versions of eBay auction pages. Cached on google. The wording has apparently been deleted from all of his eBay auctions, after google cached the pages.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:8PlINVlfynEJ:https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SHINS-MUSIC-CLEAN-DRIVE-CUSTOM-BOOSTER-PEDAL-BLUE-HAMMER-/122966183036+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Or google search on the phrase "Please don’t send any harassing message about how this is stolen. " (include the quotation marks). In the results, to the right of a page's URL, there's a little "down arrow" triangle. Click on that triangle and select "Cached".

If you have a date range he might be able to find the listing on the wayback machine.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the Tucker department, my guess is that you could say you still want to file a report (regardless of their opinion on the merits), and that you understand that they might not act on it. However, you need a copy of the report to file with ebay. Explain that everyone (Chicago, USPS, ebay) has told you this is the way to start the process.

I don't know what to make of bidding on the trumpet yourself. It seems like you could pay a lot and still have to deal with the seller.
novaj5

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The seller is basically refusing to give me proof / details. He's willing to only give it to law enforcement. He is keep insisting he got it legally though, and

"Please stop calling this item stolen it was never stolen. I am not a thief."
was his closing comments. Hmm... I don't think I've actually said that. I hope the seller just provides any valid proof he has and be done with it on his side. But somehow I don't think that's the road he's taking?

I'm going out to talk to law enforcement and the postal services over here now. But looks like the main organisation I should talk to is USPS.
Van Laar BR2 Flugelhorn
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the police department for Tucker is the DeKalb County one in Decatur, Georgia. There are around 60 TrumpetHerald people in Atlanta on the registry. One of them might be willing to stop in and get the paperwork for you. I still think a police report will help you with both USPS and Ebay.
novaj5

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would really appreciate it if someone can offer me such favor, but I can't be expecting it to just happen. Must be a handful task.

But on the other hand, I'm hearing similar stories from people. It would do good for the whole community if we could somehow make this thing stop, be it a stronger security in Chicago facility center, or catching people doing it in case of theft / fraud.

I'm actually quite surprised that I'm hearing these stories just in a few hours. I think it'll be great if the victims can get together and file some kind of request as a group as well. I wonder how people would've responded if I went to ITG and brought this up.
Van Laar BR2 Flugelhorn
Mike20275

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thompson Music had two new vanLaar instruments that turned up missing around the same time. We have filed a report with the USPS Inspector General and as of yesterday we called them a 2nd time and told them of the missing calicchio trumpet that is the exact same story as ours, right down to the same seller on ebay listing the instruments.
The seller on ebay claims that he/she got the horns for GovDeals.com, a site that auctions unclaimed freight form the USPS. However, everyone that I have talked to inside the Postal Service says there is no way the these pakages would ever go to auction that quickly. If this is true then I must believe that there is a theif on the inside at the Post Office in Chicago that has access to the shipping documents and knows what he/she can sell.

Today I received a call from a music store in Oregon that also lost a saxophone around the same time and in the same Chicago Post Office. Hmmm. Even the USPS can't be this bad.

Thank you all for your intrest in this matter

Mike Thompson
Thompson Music
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike20275 wrote:
...I must believe that there is a theif on the inside at the Post Office in Chicago that has access to the shipping documents and knows what he/she can sell.

Today I received a call from a music store in Oregon that also lost a saxophone around the same time and in the same Chicago Post Office. Hmmm. Even the USPS can't be this bad.

Thank you all for your intrest in this matter

Mike Thompson
Thompson Music

Exactly my thoughts.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only there were someway to get the media to investigate. 60 minutes or such like. Maybe the world herald might be interested since Thompson is in Omaha.

I am sure the USPS IG wold move a little more quickly with light being shined on this.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good rules of shipping

*Always insure.
*Always track.
*Never use "Friends and Family", even if they request. Pay the difference, it's safer.
*Never, ever expect anyone to do anything more than the minimum, and never expect them to lead the charge to fix an issue that, if proven correct, will just cause greater work and hassle for them. It simply won't happen.
*Never label the box with what's inside.
*Always get an estimate on arrival date, and have the sender and the receiver check a shipping slip at both ends.
*Expect a problem; planning for it makes it go smoother if it does happen.
*Expect to have to work hard to get a resolution in your favor.

I bought a mute on eBay two weeks ago that arrived in a beaten box, with the mute bouncing around inside. The seller had used a "used" box of their own choice, and the postal service flat refused to do anything for it. Fortunately, eBay did step in, but if they had not, I had a damaged mute and a seller who did not want to recognize his shortcoming in packaging. Glad eBay stepped in, as well as Paypal. Glad I paid as a good or service and not friends and family. Glad I absolutely check everything immediately!

The USPS does not pay huge sums of money to the folks that work at the regional sorting centers. Those folks are usually low on the pay scale, often working long hours or a second job to support families. That doesn't make this right, but it creates a different picture than many of you may be seeing.

I once had CPAP supplies stolen because the box said "______ _____ Medical Supplies" on the outside. When I reported it, the second box (with the second set of equally useless to steal stuff that replaced the stolen first) arrived fine, in a box that had nothing marked with "medical supplies" on the outside. Never mark instruments with what's inside, and never advertise what you have there. It may be simple to look at the scan, but it is another step in the process of safeguarding your package that you do not advertise beyond generalities what's in the box.

And, always insure (wait, I said that already).

AL
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr_trumpet wrote:
*Never use "Friends and Family", even if they request.

If a seller requests "friends and family" payment for merchandise, you already know that they're dishonest enough to defraud PayPal, so it's probably better to walk away from the purchase.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
ALaschiver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: EBAY CANCILLED LISTING Reply with quote

Horn listing removed as of 8:00AM Calif time
Mike20275

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately you can not file a police report in Tucker, GA without having the sellers physical address and a real name. eBay will not give you that information.
Nos Mo King
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you could buy an item from this seller, and, when he ships it then you will get that information on the return label. This bunch needs to be caught and ticketed or jailed/both.

RC

Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think progress may be happening. I saw on the closed listing that it had been re-listed, and the new listing (now ended) had the description as, “This item will be sold to the original owner only. I am only accepting offers from the original owner. Thank you.”
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sell it to the original owner?

If the original owner had it stolen in transit, this guy is willing to sell it back to him?

Hmmmm.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Croquethed wrote:
Sell it to the original owner?

If the original owner had it stolen in transit, this guy is willing to sell it back to him?

Hmmmm.

If the original owner has proof that this instrument is his, this is a clear case of dealing in stolen property, regardless of how the current seller received it. A local pawn shop is not given its money back when you walk in with proof an item is stolen, they hand it over and the matter is between them and the individual who sold it to them. If you accept stolen merchandise (even if unknown), and if it can be proven stolen (even if unknown), the current person in possession of the merchandise is guilty of criminal conversion, a crime in every state (and lots of other places). I'd hire a lawyer where the rightful owner is, and have them contact eBay. Point out these facts, and give eBay 24 hours to make it right. IF they fail, they are guilty of advertising and profiting from the sale of stolen merchandise.

Fact....
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: