• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

“Holy Grail” horn stand?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
I think gstunp sells some cool stands. Worth a look

Pretty cool, but not especially practical to take to a gig.

Brad
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Rowe wrote:
Those Hammond B3's weigh 350-lb.
P.I.A. to shlepp . Then, there's the Leslie.
Glorious sound, though.

~ r2 ~
deplorable horn player

I used to work with a band whose keyboard guy had his own separate trailer for those, I think it was a Hammond, he also had a couple other keyboards, I don’t know exactly what they were. He did have a great sound...and took up about a third of the stage. The band had equipment guys (as does my current band), so I didn’t really care what they had to drag in and out.

Brad
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Well, this will undoubtedly have some of you shaking your heads, but I have always just laid it in my chair. Never had a problem in several decades.

That always works. Right up until it doesn't.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
kehaulani wrote:
Well, this will undoubtedly have some of you shaking your heads, but I have always just laid it in my chair. Never had a problem in several decades.

That always works. Right up until it doesn't.

That JUST reminded me: in college, my trumpet prof (Neil Dunlap, great teacher, GREAT player and all around cool guy, RIP Mr. Dunlap) received “The Flat Horn Award” at a college function, for accidentally sitting on his own Strad that he had put on a chair.
😎

Brad
OldHorn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:

That JUST reminded me: in college, my trumpet prof (Neil Dunlap, great teacher, GREAT player and all around cool guy, RIP Mr. Dunlap) received “The Flat Horn Award” at a college function, for accidentally sitting on his own Strad that he had put on a chair.
😎

Brad

I remember Neil too, besides being a great player, he was a kind, gentle, wonderful person.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldHorn wrote:
Brad361 wrote:

😎

Brad

I remember Neil too, besides being a great player, he was a kind, gentle, wonderful person.

Definitely, he was a great guy!

Brad
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Torpedo case. Pop the mouthpiece into your pocket and slide the horn in. Sits upright, easy to use and very protective.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldHorn wrote:
Always take your horn with you. There could be someone like me who'll knock it over.

Example: I was a copyist for many years, staying up all night corying music for sessions. On one session, I was dead tired, putting the music on everyone's stand. One of the violinists had his fiddle in the open case on his chair. I bumped into it, but caught it before it fell. It was a Stradivarious. He never left it out again.

Oh really? I'm curious to know who the violinist was and which Strad it is - there is a list of all known Strads and where they currently reside. It just seems a bit of a stretch to believe that a violinist would be so careless with an instrument worth millions of dollars.

Regarding the subject of the thread, what you want - a 5-legged stand unlike the K&M where the bell isn't near the floor - it doesn't exist, at least not to my knowledge. Aside from that though, I don't think there is a more stable stand than the K&M 5-legged stand - by keeping it close to the floor it minimizes the chance that it's going to be knocked over.

As for the rest of you who won't leave a horn on a stand between sets, really? In all the years I've gigged, and I've gigged quite a bit, I've had a horn knocked over only once. I guess maybe if I was playing something on-of-a-kind or truly custom I might be a bit more hesitant to leave it out, but in 37 years of playing trumpet, I've had remarkably little damage done to any of my horns.

Seems to me that it's much ado about nothing.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
OldHorn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:

Oh really? I'm curious to know who the violinist was and which Strad it is - there is a list of all known Strads and where they currently reside. It just seems a bit of a stretch to believe that a violinist would be so careless with an instrument worth millions of dollars.

I don't remember who the player was, other than he was with the CSO. This happened in the early 80's at Universal Studios in Chicago.
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way off topic, but:

https://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/17/lost-violin-and-owner-are-reunited-again/

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2008/may/07/usa.classicalmusic

https://www.mercurynews.com/2009/08/18/gps-helps-find-18th-century-violin-left-in-new-york-taxi/

I think Josh Bell might be in there somewhere, too. Stuff happens- take care of your own!
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

acritzer wrote:
Torpedo case. Pop the mouthpiece into your pocket and slide the horn in. Sits upright, easy to use and very protective.

Got a couple, just (carefully) trying the Cronkhite bag.

Brad
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldHorn wrote:
trickg wrote:

I don't remember who the player was, other than he was with the CSO. This happened in the early 80's at Universal Studios in Chicago.

From the quick Google-fu I just did, it would appear that the person in question would have had to be Samuel Magad - at the time he would have been the concert master for the CSO (a position he held from 1972-2007, when he retired) and his violin would have been the ex-Vieuxtemps Stradivarius.

Fun story.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Option 1:

Is it possible for you to store your case immediately behind and underneath the stage platform? That way it is close to you when the break comes. I did this recently for an Amy Grant/Michael W. Smith concert tour date. I even asked permission from one of the sound guys in advance, who confirmed it was okay. Sometimes it helps to have an extra $5 Starbucks gift card to hand to one of these guys/gals when asking a special favor like this.

Option 2:

If the band is on the floor, then obviously there is no hiding the case closely to your person. However, I just thought of another design idea for this scenario: What if you had some foldable, black cardboard that could be expanded to conceal the case (perhaps while standing on end) behind you or directly to your side? Maybe that would have enough of a dressy look that “management” would not give you any grief for having the case on stage. In one way, that look might not be much different than an exposed stage monitor. For a few bucks and a little bit of a hassle toting, maybe this would fly, at least in some venues. Or for that matter, maybe you could make the black cardboard "look" like a stage monitor(!) and just keep the case in prone position behind it! Now someone needs to market this idea!

Option 3:

Especially if you have trumpet and flugelhorn or other doubles, you could consider the route of using a microphone stand with pipe insulation wrapped around and adding a couple K&M 157 Trumpet Holders. This would be a possible alternative to using a traditional trumpet stand, especially if you are on a temporary riser/platform, which always tends to be very wobbly. I have joked recently on TH, displaying my “Trumpet Tree,” but I have used it without issue in a pit situation (for two horns only!) and feel safer with it than a regular trumpet stand. It is super sturdy, albeit a hassle to tote to and from the gig. You get more mileage for extended shows, of course, leaving the stand in place until the end of the run.

Again, taking it to a ridiculous extreme, it looks like this…

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o18f2p42zzozhgy/Trumpet%20Tree-Cross-Polinated.JPG?dl=0

…but imagine the stand with only two hooks (K&M 157 Trumpet Holders) clamped opposite one another at the top of the microphone pole. The pipe insulation is cheap and easily adheres to the pole. The base is very heavy and difficult to tip.

Some players that have also used this kind of setup for quick switching between, say, trumpet with mute to/from flugelhorn. You would not have to remove the mute when quickly hanging it on the padded hook. It did not take me long to get used to making these types of horn switches, and in general, I have felt safer using the hook setup over risking putting a dent in the bell with a traditional trumpet stand. Plus, it is a lot more difficult tilting a microphone stand due to its heavy base compared to any traditional trumpet stand. The main hassle is carrying it to and from the gig. Yes, there are always trade-offs…
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, Option 4:

Put it on the stand, leave it there, and stop worrying about it.
- ACB Doubler

cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy a threaded peg for the K&M stand that could allow you to thread it onto an extension getting it higher off the floor. Then you can bolt the extension to any base you trust.

FWIW I've used the K&M stands for years and never had an issue with me or anyone else stepping on the bell. I actually like that it's closer to the floor for stability.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
Or, Option 4:

Put it on the stand, leave it there, and stop worrying about it.

There are two different schools of thought here. Yours (don’t worry about it) and the “leaving it on a stand is inviting trouble” guys. Some people are very persnickety about their equipment, others are not.

Honestly, I’m not losing any sleep over this, just checking to see if there was some super stand I was not aware of, I don’t think there is.

No big deal, just trumpet talk on a trumpet forum. Like everything else discussed here, what I do here if a subject seems silly or uninteresting is just skip past it. No harm no foul!😎

Brad
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time I ever had a horn damaged at a gig was when it was in my hands - a guitar player knocked a mic stand over and it smashed into my flugelhorn, denting the bell (since repaired).

Anyway, I personally am of the opinion that instruments shouldn't be left on stands for any reason, you never know...
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That leave it on the stand don't worry about it works great, until a horn player decides to put their high heel through your bell on a gig.

Ask me how I know.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: “Holy Grail” horn stand? Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
sometimes they absolutely insist there be no cases on the stage.

I love this, given that there might be a bunch of monitors all over, a dizzying array of effects pedals, cables, and all sorts of other junk. Or a drummer that brings 15 cymbals, a dozen toms, and never hits more than 3 of each all night.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen and had too many damaged horns over the years to leave it in the open on stage. Maybe I've just been unlucky, but I've a number of friends who have had anything from dings to totally smashed horns from various on-stage happenings (section mate knocks it flipping pages or grabbing music, snagged on a light cord, music stand from 'bone in front knocked over onto a horn when he stood to solo, one ding from a dropped mouthpiece by another player, etc. etc. etc.) So "forget about it" does not work for me and I put it in the case when I am not by it (and being by it is still no guarantee, natch). Haven't had a problem with the "no cases on stage" set though have dealt with it. Usually a case under the chair is fine for us (trumpets in the back row; pity the bones and saxes) and sometimes under the stage or just behind is fine. Only a few times I've been forced to leave the case in the green room or wherever and it was a pain (I don't even really like walking down a crowded hallway with horns in hand).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: