• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trad Gig in Tight Quarters

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Trad Gig in Tight Quarters Reply with quote

This is essentially a repost of a thread that seems to have completely disappeared - my apologies for the redundancy.

As I said, our 6-piece trad group has been offered a gig at a vest-pocket club that features Cajun cooking.

When I say vest pocket, I'm talking about a bistro with a 10-stool bar and 10 tables for four with scant room between them. That leaves virtually no room for our group: cornet, clarinet, trombone, guitar, bass, drums.

Our challenge is to somehow shrink our footprint to fit the space and, among the suggestions received before the thread went south were: cocktail kit for the drummer, drop the drum kit altogether in favor of a washboard, drop the drummer, stools not chairs for the band, shared stands, and memorize the tunes and thus require no stands.

I like all the suggestions except the one about dropping the drummer. I hate to cast people aside just for lack of space.

Any other ideas out there?

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one of the lost suggestions was to use a stripped-down drum kit. I've done gigs, where space was a premium. In these settings, the drummer only had a kick, snare, and high-hat. Nothing else.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you saw this space you might conclude even that would be too much. At the moment I'm leaning toward washboard.

The venue really is dollhouse size. My wife just rolls her eyes at even the the thought of trying to shoehorn six guys in it.

2005 Bach 180-72R
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time we used a washboard, my creative consultant told me it was totally of no value to our band. Keep in mind my consultant is my wife, but I ask her because she's not a musician and represents the general public.

I just watched a video of a band that used a small bass drum hanging off the drummer with a cymbal on top. He was standing so took up minimal space. Yup. Boom-ching-boom-ching. Worked for me listening to it.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the washboard idea, considering your instrumentation and size of the room. You can also mute the brasses. You might also consider an electric, in place of an acoustic, bass.

But a larger question: considering the style of the band and cramped, limited size of the room, can you really control the loudness of the sound and is holding back that much, worth it?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an experiment. I guess we'll find out. The venue is new enterprise. The owner has been trying to find a trad group and been unable. He's been using a variety of blues players but really wants a more authentic New Orleans sound.

If it works out it could be fun. Whether it will pay enough to make it worth while is uncertain to say the least but I'm way past expecting to turn a profit on running a band. It's become my hobby, sort of like owning a sailboat, which someone once compared to standing in a cold shower while tearing up hundred dollar bills.

2005 Bach 180-72R
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
MikeyMike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cowbell, dude. MORE COWBELL!!!!!

If you can't find/fit a cocktail kit in there I'd go with only a snare but put it on a high stand which will allow the drummer to play it standing up. That will take even less room than just a snare w/throne. And it would occupy only slightly more room than a washboard and would allow greater - uh, make that actual - musical contributions. Just the addition of even one ride cymbal would greatly enhance the percussion "section" but doesn't sound like there's any room left...

>>>If you REALLY need to strip it down, just get the drummer a tree with a couple of wood blocks and maybe another percussion piece or two. Like I said, MORE COWBELL!!! <<<
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeyMike wrote:

If you can't find/fit a cocktail kit in there I'd go with only a snare but put it on a high stand which will allow the drummer to play it standing up. That will take even less room than just a snare w/throne. And it would occupy only slightly more room than a washboard and would allow greater - uh, make that actual - musical contributions. Just the addition of even one ride cymbal would greatly enhance the percussion "section" but doesn't sound like there's any room left...

>>>If you REALLY need to strip it down, just get the drummer a tree with a couple of wood blocks and maybe another percussion piece or two. Like I said, MORE COWBELL!!! <<<

That's exactly what my drummer just suggested! You guys must be on the same wave length.

2005 Bach 180-72R
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
MikeyMike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhatpro wrote:
MikeyMike wrote:

That's exactly what my drummer just suggested! You guys must be on the same wave length.

Oh, jeez. Now I'm in with the drummers. I was afraid someday it would come to that. Anybody seen my drool bucket?

Actually there are lots of small percussion pieces that won't take up space and will provide a lot of color tonalities. Consider your overall sonic picture... You've got cornet, clari, bone and guitar for lots of melodic/harmonic variety but going with just a washboard will really impair your output.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you and your drummer get the final vote, but I would much rather use a washboard if it's played right.

I realize it's subjective, so other suggestions may be valid, but to me just a snare sounds like there's something missing, while a washboard sounds more like a stand-alone instrument and may, also, give the listener/viewer more interest, visually and tonally.

For some reason I can't recall the name of it right now, but you could also use a wooden boxed instrument if you think you need a more bass sound to balance the other instruments.

There are plenty of examples on YouTube. Check out Tuba Skinny, i.e.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
MikeyMike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Stroh's Beer Case and a foot pedal. One from the old days with the really heavy cardboard. Seriously.

Or a 2' long 2x4 laying flat on the ground with a piece of plywood 2'x2' with a hole in it screwed to one edge of the 2by. Add pedal on the other side.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta love drummers. I asked one if he read music and he said, "Not when I'm playing."

2005 Bach 180-72R
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will Leinenkugel's do?

2005 Bach 180-72R
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
MikeyMike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhatpro wrote:
Will Leinenkugel's do?

Yeah, sure. You betcha. But be careful. A Polka might break out.
MikeyMike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhatpro wrote:
Gotta love drummers. I asked one if he read music and he said, "Not when I'm playing."

Jim,

You know the difference between a drummer and a percussionist?

A drummer can't spell perku... precush.. prek...

Aw forget it.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are killing me.

2005 Bach 180-72R
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhatpro wrote:

I was at a rehearsal with the Tonight Show Band with Buddy Rich, He listened to the band play a chart, then replaced Shaughnessy in the band and they played the chart again. Rich played his butt off.

I thought Buddy was listening to his chart at first, to see if he needed to make any adjustments to the band. In fact, it was the band's chart and he was learning it with one play through.

Not a page of his music in sight! Unreal.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, when I was in the Navy we would occasionally do a gig on the mess deck, pretty small on a destroyer. For these occasions our drummer had a kit called a rim set. It basically looks like a drum kit made of rototoms and that includes the bass drum. Except for high hat and maybe a small ride or crash and a snare, the entire kit fit in a narrow drum case. I dont know who made them or if they are even around anymore, but may be worth looking into.

Dave
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
jhatpro wrote:

I was at a rehearsal with the Tonight Show Band with Buddy Rich, He listened to the band play a chart, then replaced Shaughnessy in the band and they played the chart again. Rich played his butt off.

I thought Buddy was listening to his chart at first, to see if he needed to make any adjustments to the band. In fact, it was the band's chart and he was learning it with one play through.

Not a page of his music in sight! Unreal.

Sorry for the thread derail here...
I read somewhere that BR employed a drummer to play new material while reading a chart (the drummer in our college Kenton-like jazz band used the lead trumpet chart), Rich would listen once, then play it pretty much perfectly.
I heard him in concert twice, I believe it.

Brad
trumanjazzguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I personally was doing this gig, I'd do it as a duo or trio. Six people is just silly, and will likely be far too loud for such an environment. Let's say you can get $40 a man, times 6, that's just under $250 Find other gigs where you can easily support 6 musicians, and let this be the one for your best and most volume-sensitive players. Realize that just because you may scoff at making money on the gig, doesn't mean the other players are in the same boat. Generally, playing low pay gigs and free gigs is bad for the industry as a whole, as it further devalues the products of the professionals who should be making a living wage...but in many cases, no longer can.

You need: Trumpet/vocals, chords/rhythm, and bass for your trio. You'll need to play in tight mutes 90% of the time. Everybody will need to LISTEN, and BACK OFF the volume! Ideally, in this scenario, you need yourself, a banjo (plectrum, not tenor), and a bass instrument. Sousaphone/tuba is better than Upright. Everyone will need to be able to solo... Singing a lot will vary things up enough to keep things interesting. If you absolutely must have another member, the next option is a reed player who primarily plays clarinet, and perhaps tenor sax.
‘Pieces:
TPT: 34-throat shallow double-cup, Chet Baker’s Custom Schilke, Bach Corp 3, Bach Mt. Vernon 6C, Ken Titmus BF Custom(s).
CRN: NY Giardinelli 7SV.
FL: Yamaha Bobby Shew
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: