• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

wireless mic and sound reflective

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xtremetrumpeter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: wireless mic and sound reflective Reply with quote

Hi everyone! I'm going to be starting a gig for an Elvis show called "Burn'n Love" on Maui. I was told I would need some type of wireless mic. I was wondering what would you guys recommend and what other gear would I need?

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/wireless-systems/pgxd-systems/pgxd14-beta98h

Also, I saw this sound reflector thing that you would attach to your bell so that you could hear yourself which I would definitely need...I think. Would I need something like this?

https://www.brass-innovations-germany.de/en-brass-parts-sonic-reflector-playing-the-trumpet.asp

Thanks!
Yamaha 8335 LA
ACB Doubler's Flugelhorn
Carol Brass 5000L (backup)
Kanstul 1510C with Copper Bell
Brasspire Piccolo
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used a wireless clip-on Shure Beta 98 for years - it's a great mic for that application.

Regarding the sound reflector, IMO you shouldn't need it - either you'll have a wedge monitor that can be dialed up enough to where you can hear yourself, or you'll have in-ears monitors, but either way, live sound has evolved and advanced quite a lot in the last 15 years or so to the point where for groups using in-ears, often times you can connect to the sound board via Wi-Fi, and control your own personal in-ears mix from an app on your phone.

The last time I used a sound reflector was around 2012 when I did a Ska band thing in a church, (of all places) they had me on an SM57 mic, and I didn't have my own in-ears mix or floor monitor. That one is a simple one that I made from Lexan, a standard hole saw, and a rubber grommet.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
xtremetrumpeter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
I've used a wireless clip-on Shure Beta 98 for years - it's a great mic for that application.

Regarding the sound reflector, IMO you shouldn't need it - either you'll have a wedge monitor that can be dialed up enough to where you can hear yourself, or you'll have in-ears monitors, but either way, live sound has evolved and advanced quite a lot in the last 15 years or so to the point where for groups using in-ears, often times you can connect to the sound board via Wi-Fi, and control your own personal in-ears mix from an app on your phone.

The last time I used a sound reflector was around 2012 when I did a Ska band thing in a church, (of all places) they had me on an SM57 mic, and I didn't have my own in-ears mix or floor monitor. That one is a simple one that I made from Lexan, a standard hole saw, and a rubber grommet.

Thanks! I'm hoping we get in-ears.
Yamaha 8335 LA
ACB Doubler's Flugelhorn
Brasspire Piccolo
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read that reflectors can really mess up the recording engineer and your sound. Should probably only be used when there's no other option. If you have a pro gig that requires a wireless mic I'd hope that they would have reasonable monitor options.

I really like my AMT Roam 1 wireless rig but I understand that they don't sell that model anymore. It was limited to a single-frequency Samson transmitter, though it has never given me or the sound engineers any trouble. The new systems I understand are far superior (and a good bit more costly).
https://appliedmicrophoneshop.com/t/microphone--wireless-packages-for-trumpet
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
I've read that reflectors can really mess up the recording engineer and your sound. Should probably only be used when there's no other option. If you have a pro gig that requires a wireless mic I'd hope that they would have reasonable monitor options.

I really like my AMT Roam 1 wireless rig but I understand that they don't sell that model anymore. It was limited to a single-frequency Samson transmitter, though it has never given me or the sound engineers any trouble. The new systems I understand are far superior (and a good bit more costly).
https://appliedmicrophoneshop.com/t/microphone--wireless-packages-for-trumpet

I used one of those reflectors for a while, but the problem I had was that I thought it was putting more control of my volume out front into the hands of the sound guy than I was comfortable with. If you have a very good sound guy who mixes everything correctly it probably would not be a problem, but I’ve run into more than a few sound techs who mix the overall sound to their particular preference, not necessarily what is a good balance. In other words, if a sound tech doesn’t care for a bright upper register trumpet sound, he might (it’s happened to me) under-mix that sound he doesn’t personally care for.

Brad
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting a reflective surface so close to a directional microphone can wreak havoc with the microphone's pickup pattern, creating a much higher likelihood of howling feedback. Putting a reflective surface so close to any microphone also seriously changes the frequency response.

Bad idea all around.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
xtremetrumpeter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I ended up ordering a Shure BLX4R Single Channel, Rack mount receiver, BLX1 Bodypack Transmitter and a WB98H/C Instrument mic from Amazon...a little cheaper than buying it through the Shure site.
Yamaha 8335 LA
ACB Doubler's Flugelhorn
Brasspire Piccolo
xtremetrumpeter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I got the mic, the body pack and the receiver. I understand how to setup the mic and bodypack, but I'm confused about the receiver. Is it really something I need? Do I give it to the sound guy to plug into his board? Also, if I have gigs with different people do I have to unplug the receiver and give it to the next sound guy to plug into their board? Sorry..newbie to all of this.

Thanks!
Yamaha 8335 LA
ACB Doubler's Flugelhorn
Brasspire Piccolo
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a wireless mic. The microphone's sound goes into the transmitter in the body pack, is transmitted over the air to the receiver, which converts it back to a signal for the sound system.

Non-wireless: Mic --> cable --> sound system input
Wireless: Mic --> body pack --> radio signal --> receiver --> sound system input

HTH - Don
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: