• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha and Schilke flugelhorns

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samuel5299

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Yamaha and Schilke flugelhorns Reply with quote

Im considering getting either a Schilke flugelhorn or a a Yamaha 631G, 8315G or 8310Z. Does anyone have any recommendations/ evaluations on how these horns play differently?

Thanks
onlyson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too much experience with the Schilke. Played it a few minutes in their showroom. Nothing special to my ear, and the deep wrap of it made me feel it would be a bother to transport.

The Yamaha 631 was my main Flugel for years and you can't go wrong there. Lovely sound and an industry standard for years.

I had a chance to play the 8310 and 8315 side by side. The 8310 is a small bore horn and it did not agree with me at all. BUT, I absolutely loved the 8315. It was the first flugel that didn't fight me in the upper register. Perfect for those Mangione high D's. Would be on my list if I played more flugel.

I play a Couesnon with a Melk leadpipe and it meets most of my needs. Probably have $1500 into it. Good luck in your search.
1951 Martin Committee Deluxe #3 Bore
ACB Coppernicus
Couesnon Flugel
Carol Pocket Trumpet
a.kemp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the Yamaha flugels compared to the Schilke.
Just more satisfying. As for the 631G, I greatly prefer the older 631 and 731’s compared to the G bell. The 8310 and 8315 are great. As is the older 6310
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a tough choice between 6310Z and 631G; they both are sonorous, agile and responsive. Mouthpiece choice matters a lot for both. The 8315 and 8310 models are great, too. Have not tried the Schilke.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played the Schilke a number of years ago when it first came out. I loved how it felt in the hand. To me, it had the best ergonomics of any flugelhorn with the low-placed third valve lever.

The sound was pretty compact and bright. I had to use a mouthpiece that they had on hand, so take that for what it's worth. Others have often commented that the Schilke has a bright sound.

This past weekend, Schilke had a new copper bell flugelhorn on display at NAMM. I'd be interested in how different it is from the brass model.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't played the Schilke.

I have compared the three Yamaha flugels. Obviously there's a big price difference between the 631 and the other two; whether it's worth it depends on your situation.

The 631 is a perfectly serviceable horn. It's easy to play, it's not too expensive, and so forth. I just found the sound boring, and I guess I really prefer the sound of a small bore flugel -- they tend to be rich and warm without being heavy, with a really characteristic sound instead of "trumpet that ate too many Doritos". The 631, to me, sounds heavy. It also just kind of sounds how it sounds, if that makes any sense -- I found it difficult to colour the sound much. That said, for the price, it's a perfectly good horn.

The 8310Z was, for me, a complete non-starter. It sounded almost as good as the 8315, except that it was out of tune and the upper register was lousy. Maybe if the 8315 didn't exist I'd think about it, but it does, so since the price difference was negligible, I ruled the 8310Z out pretty much immediately.

The 8315 I really like. The sound is terrific, and I can do more things with that sound. It plays great, even in the upper register. The only problem is the price -- I don't play a lot of flugelhorn. But I decided that life is too short to play horns I don't like. Now all I need is more excuses to play it...
kristiner
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently had Schilke make me a 1040 flugelhorn in raw brass. I've been playing it for a few months, and must say that it's one of the finest horns I've ever played, not just owned. The sound is warm, buttery, glowing - all of the good adjectives! Intonation is perfect. Response is immediate in all registers, and it gets above the staff so easily - like shockingly easily. I play a Schilke 17F mouthpiece with it, so relatively large and deep. Never thought I'd replace my old Swiss Conn flugel, which I loved, but my students are enjoying that horn now.

I played the new copper belled version at NAMM for a minute. It was also really nice, maybe a little bit quicker response and a bit more focused tone than mine. But I think the lacquer finish might deaden a little bit of the resonance - it didn't seem to have the same aura to the sound that mine has. I didn't want to say that in front of Rick Baptist, though.
http://kristiner.com
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chase sounds great on his Schilke flugel!
Www.LexSamu.com
jhahntpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam, the Schilke has a great reputation for a horn that hasn't been around that long. I love my Yamaha 6310z and I'm sure the 8310z would be great. I've never cared for the 631/731 and haven't played the 8315. Something else to look at are Getzen's new artist model and Kanstul's 1525 model. Both are fantastic horns.
Piccolo: Yamaha 9830
Flugel: Yamaha 8315G
Cornet: York Eminence
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between the two, I like the Yamaha 631G.

I've played the Schilke, and it was nice, but I prefer lacquered horns these days - I just don't like fiddling with the maintenance of silver plating, and my hands are too hard on it.

My favorite flugel to date though was a Kanstul CCF 925 in lacquer with a copper bell. I wish I still had it.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
F.E. Olds Nut
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own the new Schilke flugelhorn and can say without a doubt it is the best flugelhorn I have ever played. I switched from a Getzen Custom 3895 and the difference was night and day. The Schilke has excellent intonation throughout the range of the instrument and is a very easy blow. It nearly plays itself. As said previously, ergonomics are also great. The horn just fits in your hand and you don’t realize you’re holding the horn, like their trumpets.

I have a Yamaha 631 kicking around and while it is a very nice playing flugel, the Schilke outplays it in every way. The Yamaha blows more like a trumpet, which can be a plus or a minus, depending on the player. Because I have not owned any, I can not comment on the newer Custom series horns.
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Yamaha and Schilke flugelhorns Reply with quote

I have owned the Yamaha 6310Z Shew...the Schilke 1040FL...and still own a Yamaha 631G. Never played the Bergeron Model.

(1) The 6310Z was a very nice horn...reminded me very much of a Cousenon. Depending on the mouthpiece it could, at times, be a little stuffy TO ME. Upper register, which I use, was just OK.

(2) The Yamaha 631G is a GREAT flugel!! ...especially for the money. I like it MUCH better than the old 631/731 horns. I've had mine for about 4 years or so and I have to say FOR ME there's not a note that's out of tune except the low C# which is a HAIR sharp. I feel very comfortable and secure on this horn and it has a VERY good upper register.

(3) Now...the Schilke. Let me preface this by saying that I absolutely love Schilke horns and have been primarily playing them since 1969. That being said I HATE this flugel!!! I had FOUR of them on trial over a 1 1/2 year span..a silver, raw, and 2 lacquers. The best of these 4...the lacquer one, I thought I could deal with so I bought it. I tried EVERYTHING possible to play this horn simply because "I wanted to play a Schilke"!! Didn't work out!!! Are you ready for this??? It had the WORST intonation of any pro horn I've ever played...at least FOR ME!!. Shallow pieces, deep pieces, open pieces, tight pieces...I tried them all and NO cigar. I'm a professional player and one of the things I pride myself on most is intonation along with sound. Sadly to say on THIS horn I just couldn't do it. The guy I sold it to loves it...go figure!!!

Taking in to account all of my comparison's above I have to admit though: The best flugel I have found to date is my lacquered Adams All Copper-Bell F5!!! It has ALL of the characteristics that I look for in a flugel and has a sound to die for. It also responds very well to any depth piece which I like as I do different types of work from a trio to a big band and therefore I change depths frequently.

To the OP...I hope this helps and I wish you good luck on your search. A good flugel can be alot of fun to play!!!

Butch
TRUMPE: SCHILKE B7 / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "RT1" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
JoeLoeffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the intonation concerns on the Schilke flugelhorns. Apparently, there is a newer design that addresses the problems (supposedly...), but the original ones made up until sorta recently were plagued with poor intonation around the third space C in the staff. They might be fine for solo playing, but not acceptable for ensemble work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: