• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Teaching a beginner using the Socratic Method?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VintageFTW
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Teaching a beginner using the Socratic Method? Reply with quote

A brilliant concept just occurred to me regarding a middle schooler I've been tasked to teach. Would trying to teach fundamentals using the Socratic Method work? I mean, that way it both gets the person interested and wanting to improve (or at least interested about the mechanics) as well as lets the player improve in the most natural way possible, meaning that he/she will eventually reach a point (playing wise) that is easiest for them. It is the best of both worlds; it has the benefits of figuring out how to play on one's own, but it also has the importance of a teacher veering the student away from forming bad habits.

What are your thoughts on this?
Early 1900's Marceau Cornet *B&F Stencil
1922 Holton-Clarke Cornet
1954 Elkhart built by Buescher 37b
...And many more
lakejw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a totally valid strategy for education. In essence you're teaching them to teach themselves. A certain amount of critical thinking is innate, but can definitely be fostered by a good teacher. When I have a motivated, smart, and somewhat of a 'natural' trumpet student on my hands, sometimes the best thing I can do is show them the path and stay out of their way.

However, I don't think this approach works for every student. Let's be honest. A lot of kids just won't have the initiative or curiosity to respond to this effectively. That doesn't mean they can't be good performers or develop into a self-teacher at some point either. But most need explicit instruction; play these exercises here, the bottom lip goes like this, etc.

johnlakejazz.com
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

where's the hemlock?
VintageFTW
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That might complicate things... Then they might accuse me of "corrupting the minds of the youth" or something like that. I don't plan on dying by trying to teach someone to play, even if the process might make me feel like it. Patience is the key I guess.
Early 1900's Marceau Cornet *B&F Stencil
1922 Holton-Clarke Cornet
1954 Elkhart built by Buescher 37b
...And many more
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: