• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Atriculation Clarity in Lower Registers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tajmozach1898

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Atriculation Clarity in Lower Registers Reply with quote

I've noticed that my articulations below low C are lacking. It isn't my tongue speed, as I can articulate clearly at a reasonable tempo in the mid to high registers.

If I were to ever have to articulate with any sort of clarity in the low register by myself, I'd just pack my stuff up and head home.

Tell me I'm not alone!
Kanstul 920 Custom Class
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Atriculation Clarity in Lower Registers Reply with quote

tajmozach1898 wrote:
I've noticed that my articulations below low C are lacking. It isn't my tongue speed, as I can articulate clearly at a reasonable tempo in the mid to high registers.

If I were to ever have to articulate with any sort of clarity in the low register by myself, I'd just pack my stuff up and head home.

Tell me I'm not alone!

What tends to happen is that our tongue backstroke gets too long. That is, the tongue releases the note and moves backward at the moment of attack. Keeping a short tongue backstroke is the key to clean and rapid tonguing.

In the upper register most of us have no trouble achieving a short tongue backstroke, but as we get into the lower regions of the horn it is a natural tendency to allow that to become longer and thus less graceful or agile.

One thing that might help is to use the syllable Deh for tonguing in the lower register. Tu can turn into Thu and really start getting too thick and cumbersome.

Keep us posted.
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the problem comes from your "Atriculation"
solo soprano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may work for you?

Claude Gordon's

KTM / K Tongue Modified:
(There are some who have erroneously call this "anchor tonguing.")

First a word about tongue placement. Say the syllables "aw - eee - aw - eee" and you will notice that the tip of tongue stays behind the lower teeth.

The tip of the tongue should not be anchored rigidly behind the lower teeth, since the tongue must be allowed to float up and down into the correct level for each note. Let the tongue tip go where it needs to go but no higher than the very top of the bottom teeth.

The tip, then, should be placed lightly behind the lower teeth, by the top of the teeth, not down at the gum line.

The front center portion of the tongue moves forward to make the attack against the upper teeth.

Tonguing in this manner has several advantages: Accuracy is increased, since the tip of the tongue is not constantly getting in the way of the air stream. Wide intervals become easy, since the tongue can instantly adjust to the level required of each note. And one can articulate much faster, since the tongue doesn't have as far to move.
tajmozach1898

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JVL wrote:
I think the problem comes from your "Atriculation"

Oops.
Kanstul 920 Custom Class
deanoaks

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trouble articulation in the lower register can result from a number of problems which will of course vary from player to player, trumpet, mouthpiece, etc. Regardless of the setup the most common issue I have found with players articulation in the lower register is their tongue arch getting in the way of the player's tongue OR the player is simply trying to over-articulate in the lower register out of fear or being too unclear resulting in the airflow being disrupted for a longer period of time than it needs to be which ultimately throws the lip:air balance out of whack.

Do something like Clarke two and work your way down from the middle register. All slurred. Then when you reach low G, add the world's lightest tongue. Almost like a doodle tongue where you disrupt the airstream as little as possible. The purpose of this is to keep the tongue low in your mouth allowing for the appropriate oral cavity for the lower notes and then just quickly, but lightly allowing the tongue to ever so slightly break up the air flow to have a light articulation.
Keep noodling with that until you find a way that works for you to articulate clearly in the low register. While of course remembering to but musical context to check if the exercises are working.

I'm not a very elegant writer, so please let me know if I can clarify anything for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: