• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Your Thoughts On "Firmness"

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andybharms
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will second Richard Sandals' advice here, but add an anecdote.

The clarinet is a really effective analog for the trumpet embouchure. If you know anything about clarinets or reeded instruments, you know that the hardness of the reed and tightness of the ligature are the two most important factors in producing the right sound and being able to manipulate the instrument at the break. If the reed is too hard, the sound will be unresponsive. If the ligature is too tight, playing over the break will be impossible.

I use the break on the trumpet leadpipe to demonstrate the right balances. If you are too tense, you won't be able to play evenly between the harmonics on the leadpipe. Here is a handout I made a couple of years ago that I use as a primer: https://drive.google.com/file/d/18rB4cvZ1kL5xr9EfoTpxRUPnhsaKRBGo/view?usp=sharing

Here is a video I made demonstrating the exercises:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ54ny0ScrY

Hope this helps. Of course, adapt as you so require.
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bflatman wrote:
I have not been playing long just a couple of years, but I have been told that I play like I have been playing for 30 years.

I credit my rapid success with not analysing anything. For me trumpet playing is simple just blow.

Bob Hope in the movie Paleface was in a gunfight and on the way to it he was given lots of advice:-

He draws to the left so lean to the right. There's a wind from the east - better aim to the west. He crouches when he shoots so stand on your toes.

The poor guy ended up unable to walk there was so much analysis going on in his head.

Stop analysing start playing you develop much faster and your brain wont explode.

I just hope you never wind up in any kind of playing spin because you will not know how to ever "get it back" if you don't know how you got it in the first place.

Good luck, my man.
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeboppinFool wrote:
Bflatman wrote:
I have not been playing long just a couple of years, but I have been told that I play like I have been playing for 30 years.

I credit my rapid success with not analysing anything. For me trumpet playing is simple just blow.

Bob Hope in the movie Paleface was in a gunfight and on the way to it he was given lots of advice:-

He draws to the left so lean to the right. There's a wind from the east - better aim to the west. He crouches when he shoots so stand on your toes.

The poor guy ended up unable to walk there was so much analysis going on in his head.

Stop analysing start playing you develop much faster and your brain wont explode.

I just hope you never wind up in any kind of playing spin because you will not know how to ever "get it back" if you don't know how you got it in the first place.

Good luck, my man.

A lot of people have had long and successful careers with exactly that kind of approach, and manage to avoid or overcome rough patches, the same as everybody else. It's all a question of how you choose to define "know how." I don't know how my lips work, but I don't have to consciously know that, any more than I have to know how my fingers are typing this. What I know is what I have to be thinking about in order to allow my chops to function, and that's an entirely different matter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: