• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tips for practicing for/playing along with church hymns

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played for Easter today which was my main short-term goal. I only got about 15 minutes with the pianist this morning, but playing along went well. The pianist was really good, but ironically this made it a little more intimidating to play with him, because he adds in a lot of (effective, beautiful) flourishes. I'd thought of trying to do the melody/harmony/descant but decided to just stick to sticking the intros and pauses I also decided to stick to 3 hymns and doxology and skipped on the other service music. I think they'll let me do it again and it was a fun experience.

I probably need to be brave enough to track down a church musician or two when I'm in the States. I'm also trying to figure out the next goal: more focus on individual practice and being able to play along? or work on a specific goal like transposing? or seek out a group I could play with?

Thanks for everyone who shared on this forum! Grateful to you all for getting me to this point.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaveTrumpetWillTravel wrote:

I probably need to be brave enough to track down a church musician or two when I'm in the States. I'm also trying to figure out the next goal: more focus on individual practice and being able to play along? or work on a specific goal like transposing? or seek out a group I could play with?

Thanks for everyone who shared on this forum! Grateful to you all for getting me to this point.

Goo don you for standing up and playing. It's something that many just do not comprehend the complexity of, or how natural we try to make it.

If you're asking what to look at next? All of the above. Practice at home. Fundamentals, skills, techniques all help you out in a performance. Playing along with recordings is great as well. Goals like transposition are very very worthy and make life a joy when they are needed. Playing in ensembles is invaluable. REALLY invaluable. Find the best you can get into and play, you will learn lots and have a hoot at the same time.

cheers

Andy
mhenrikse
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaveTrumpetWillTravel wrote:

I'm also trying to figure out the next goal: more focus on individual practice and being able to play along? or work on a specific goal like transposing? or seek out a group I could play with?

The following would be my goals, in the context of church playing. Add a goal as you feel its within your reach to be successful.

1. write a decant that you can play and perform it on the 4th verse - you can probably write out the alto or tenor parts as a starting point for a descant.

2. add a lyrical solo to play during the offertory - Bach, air on G string level

3. Add a prelude, postlude or both - Trumpet voluntaries by Purcell, Stanley in the Bb versions

This is an open ended strategy to build up your confidence and your chops because you can keep raising the technical level of the music performed.

By the way, there is a MMO of a bunch or nice trumpet and organ pieces that you can practice with.

Good luck.

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: