• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Opinions on upper - extreme upper register slurring?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VintageFTW
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Opinions on upper - extreme upper register slurring? Reply with quote

What are your opinions on doing very complex slurring patterns starting at high C to double C and above? I have found that I am able to do these at decent volume with relative ease. Literally it just involves making up patterns in my head in a generally ascending direction. With these I don't have any sort of range break, other than the harmonic interval at double C. I do have to slightly alter my embouchure to get the fluidity required to do this though. Could this exercise feasibility help with control and accuracy? Should I try doing these with my normal embouchure set? What do you think?
Early 1900's Marceau Cornet *B&F Stencil
1922 Holton-Clarke Cornet
1954 Elkhart built by Buescher 37b
...And many more
deleted_user_fdb91a0

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) If it hurts, stop and do something else.
2) If it sounds bad, try to make it sound better.
3) If it doesn't start sounding better, stop and do something else.

Apply this process to everything in life.
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea!! I do drills like that daily. Just make sure you never strain.
Flip Oakes Flugel

Harrelson 5mm MP
Pops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use one embouchure for everything.
A lip setpoint of G on top of the staff should help.
7,000 pages of free music. Trumpet Books, Skype Lessons: www.BbTrumpet.com
Trapshooter25

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has always helped me!
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on upper - extreme upper register slurring? Reply with quote

VintageFTW wrote:
What are your opinions on doing very complex slurring patterns starting at high C to double C and above? I have found that I am able to do these at decent volume with relative ease. Literally it just involves making up patterns in my head in a generally ascending direction. With these I don't have any sort of range break, other than the harmonic interval at double C. I do have to slightly alter my embouchure to get the fluidity required to do this though. Could this exercise feasibility help with control and accuracy? Should I try doing these with my normal embouchure set? What do you think?

I'm not doubting you however if what you say is true? Your words won't garner much sympathy here. As your description, at least as indicated would seem to describe a gifted embouchure. And that perfecting it would likely remain just a matter of technique and time.

Unless of course you're using two distinctly different embouchure settings in order to bounce between low and high. Dual settings involves tricky matters. The usual preference being to either stick to just one. Or learn to "blend" them until they become the same.

As two distinctly different chop settings tends to reduce accuracy and limit your technique in various ways. My preference for this situation would be to learn to work the high note setting downwards. Holding onto the lower note embouchure only until it becomes obsolete. As the higher setting learns to adapt. Lots of Stevens System candidates had this priblem during their early days of learning that chop system.

I'm also told that Wayne Bergeron (one of the most musical lead players on the scene today initially had much trouble making his lower register even produce a tone at all. But obviously he stuck with it and has played beautifully for decades now.

Perseverance would seem to be the only critical matter for our O/P here. If what he says is true? He just needs to concentrate on his fundamentals. His upper register will take care of itself. Insome ways I almost see his post as a possible "brag-share". As opposed to a genuine request for help. I'm not accusing him of that however. Will give him benefit of the doubt.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh ... the seeds have been planted.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on upper - extreme upper register slurring? Reply with quote

VintageFTW wrote:

I think we will have to see a video of this to really know for sure...
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
With these I don't have any sort of range break, other than the harmonic interval at double C. I do have to slightly alter my embouchure to get the fluidity required to do this though. Could this exercise feasibility help with control and accuracy? Should I try doing these with my normal embouchure set? What do you think?

It all comes down to how it sounds in a musical context. I believe that we can make good, musical sounds with the trumpet and play musical lines from low F# to the G above double C. If an exercise is helping you, that's great, certainly continue it. But, now, try to start playing music up there as well. Do the embouchure shifts cause the musical lines to be interrupted? Go with what sounds the most musical. There are certain players who use shifts in their chops, but you wouldn't know it unless they told you.

Currently, I personally don't use any embouchure shifts, but I do need to have a pretty small diameter on my chops to play my full range with connection, volume, and endurance. The cup depth only matters for me volume-wise, it doesn't effect my range or endurance. With a small diameter mouthpiece and a free blowing trumpet, my chops are relaxed and I feel my core muscles are what are engaged as I play higher and louder. We're each unique in our physical makeup..facial, lip, dental structure..so while there are certain general principles that I believe are applicable to very efficient trumpet playing, within these principles, there will be individual variations for each player. All the best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this.
Instead of slurring double tongue low c, middle c, hi c and then your double c and if you dont have to change anything and can skip octaves quickly and jump 2 octaves easily while maintaining the tongue you just need to practice more until you play like Alan Visoutti. Practice three octave double tonguing and when you get it down all your questions about hi range will probably be answered.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on upper - extreme upper register slurring? Reply with quote

VintageFTW wrote:

I don't see this as a method for developing control or accuracy. By definition you're slurring through the pitches rather than nailing them. I think playing octave intervals (tonguing them) is a much better approach if your intent is to develop control and accuracy. If you employ this method and miss it's pretty obvious. The fact that you can slur through a pitch doesn't mean you can nail it. When you speak of control and accuracy I define that to mean nailing notes.

I also agree with those who say the ideal situation is to cover your range with one embouchure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: