• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Not trying to be dark, but...

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deleted_user_fdb91a0

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Not trying to be dark, but... Reply with quote

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/former-dc-music-teacher-found-guilty-of-sexually-assaulting-teen-student/2018/01/31/6a7f7454-06d0-11e8-b48c-b07fea957bd5_story.html?utm_term=.7d673505a6fb

He used to post here quite frequently. Hung out with him a couple times some years ago (no females were ever present or discussed). Seemingly a nice guy, and great chops.

He's also due to be sentenced in April for similar offenses committed in Maryland. Creepy stuff. Rule #1: don't f*ck the kids.
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He posted under many names here, with long history of dozens of posts and several threads deleted by moderators, and complaints about shady deals from the marketplace as well. He would always come back with a new name, NYC-player, New.Vintage, trumpet.sanity, benge.nut, probably a few more I'm forgetting, and only a couple of weeks ago (just before his jury trial), he was posting as "trumpet.trader".
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Horrifying.

Having grown up with both my parents as professional music educators, I have seen how strong the bonds of trust and musicianship are. In appropriate hands, it's a powerful force for good. To leverage that to sexually assault one's students is just inexplicably evil.

I had no idea that all those nyms were the same person, but it makes sense as for the most part all the posts from those accounts were clearly from a combative jerk.

I hope they throw that guy in the deepest dungeon available.
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure that trumpet.trader is not John from "The Trumpet Trader"?
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm55 wrote:
He posted under many names here, with long history of dozens of posts and several threads deleted by moderators, and complaints about shady deals from the marketplace as well. He would always come back with a new name, NYC-player, New.Vintage, trumpet.sanity, benge.nut, probably a few more I'm forgetting, and only a couple of weeks ago (just before his jury trial), he was posting as "trumpet.trader".

You have changed your screen name a few times.
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He'll have a bullseye on his back the second the cell door closes. On the prison pecking order child molesters are at the bottom of the food chain. I have several friends who are retired corrections officers who can attest to that.
If he thinks he's a tough guy he'll be sadly surprised.
Hopefully the young girl will be okay. If he did this to one student he probably has more victims who have not come forward.
Glad he's where he belongs and hopefully he'll be there a long,long time.
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Rowe wrote:
mm55 wrote:

You have changed your screen name a few times.

No, this is the only name I have ever used on TH.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think that i bought a mouthpiece from him a long time ago

he better fit his bell with a best brass practice mute before he goes in

they call him short eyes now
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THAT guy?? Man, I thought something seemed a little “off” with him.

I taught lessons in a middle school where the head band director was busted in an online underage sex sting, I would never had suspected the guy. You just never know.

Brad
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

homebilly wrote:

he better fit his bell with a best brass practice mute before he goes in

LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me, or this thread particularly cruel?
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaTrompeta wrote:

I might say sad instead of cruel. Both for the original subject and some of the comments.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaTrompeta wrote:

I don't think its particularly cruel - the nature of the crime makes it almost inevitable that there will be emotional responses, some perhaps unbefitting their owners normal character... tbh, so far it's been pretty muted.

IMHO, no amount of ill will on an internet message board comes remotely close to the cruelty of the crimes he's been convicted of.

To some extent, it's our duty as a community to make sure we're collectively informed - I'm all for innocent until proven guilty, and there's certainly arguments to be had when it comes to spreading the identities of accused (but not yet tried and found guilty or not-guilty). but when it comes to the convicted I think it's fair game to talk about it.
pepperdean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether you're teaching or coaching, you develop an extreme trust level with the student and that makes them extremely vulnerable. A teacher must not do anything to betray that trust. Unfortunately, too many do and that spoils things for everyone.

When I began teaching, it was common to adjust students' fingers on a clarinet or to have them place a hand on your stomach to see how good breathing works. ( It feels icky just to write that now.) It was a much simpler time in a world that seemed much more innocent. Maybe it wasn't. Maybe the internet has just exposed it and soiled our thinking.

At any rate, when I retired, I'd been trying for years to find ways to communicate through words and pictures, things that would only take a second to fix when a teacher could come within ten feet of a student.

Sad.

Alan
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperdean wrote:
When I began teaching, it was common to ... have them place a hand on your stomach to see how good breathing works. ( It feels icky just to write that now.)

As the student, I found it icky when I was a college student back in the seventies.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that some responses here have been questionable, and maybe in bad taste. I also agree with “innocent until proven guilty”, the article says guilt was proven.

I don’t really care what circumstances of excuses this or any other offender has, inappropriate conduct with an underage person is legally and morally reprehensible.

Brad
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere that among teachers band directors and PE coaches are statistically most likely to engage in inappropriate activity with students.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
deleted_user_fdb91a0

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every year, there's always a few drum techs at marching bands across the country who get pinched for hooking up with a 15-year-old girl in the color guard. You can set your watch to it, it's so inevitable. It is FAR more prevalent than we realize.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drewwilkie86 wrote:
Every year, there's always a few drum techs at marching bands across the country who get pinched for hooking up with a 15-year-old girl in the color guard. You can set your watch to it, it's so inevitable. It is FAR more prevalent than we realize.

It was somewhat common years ago (‘70’s) in drum corps also, but the social climate today is much different; far less tolerance (rightfully so) of that today.

Brad
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
pepperdean wrote:
When I began teaching, it was common to ... have them place a hand on your stomach to see how good breathing works. ( It feels icky just to write that now.)

As the student, I found it icky when I was a college student back in the seventies.

I took a few clarinet lessons years and years ago, and a couple of years ago I took a lesson with him again, thinking of getting into the clarinet/sax game. It was nice seeing my old teacher again, but he'd decided that with adult students the best way to go was to teach them the chromatic scale first, so we sat there, my fingering the chromatic scale as far up and down as I could blow, and when I got a fingering wrong, he'd hit my fingers with a pencil! Ouch! Thus ended my interest in going into the clarinet and sax game.

More seriously, I agree, a music teacher has to be utterly above reproach, and I'd feel weird about even *being* a teacher ... maybe this is why many teachers now take video of each lesson not only so the student can review but so parents etc can see there's no funny business.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: