• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Software for managing music / lead sheets for bands

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Software for managing music / lead sheets for bands Reply with quote

Hi, everyone. I'm hoping you'll have some good advice for me here.

I'm looking to invest in a tablet / music solution to organize all my lead sheets and efficiently share them with multiple bands. I need the software to do the following:

1) Excellent display on tablet (Android/Windows preferred, I'm not a Mac guy - I'm thinking 12" Microsoft Surface or 10" Samsung Android)
2) Keep all my lead sheets / charts organized
3) Put together set lists
4) Easily share lead sheets / charts with other band members for download/printing or display on their own tablets
5) Keep multiple books separate from each other so I know which charts are being played in which bands

I know that this is a lot, but now that I'm in multiple ensembles I'm really trying to make my life easier and more organized. Any suggestions you have are welcomed. Perhaps this requires more than one piece of software?

Thanks![/list]
TrumpetFunk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Turkle.

Not to be preachy but an iPad with forScore will do all these things. You don't need to be a mac guy.

You might also look at iGigBook which contains dozens of fake book indexes, should you own them in PDF format.

Plus there are hundreds of just useful apps unrelated to music notation.

I use an older model and the screen can be small at times but there are good crop and size options.

Though pricy, I'm seriously looking to upgrade to an iPad Pro with the 12.9" screen. Maybe as soon as I land a $1000 gig.

cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that you shouldn't exclude iPads even though you don't favor Apple. I'm decidedly in the Microsoft camp and wary of Apple/Mac products but the iPads/iPhone products are really slick.

By all accounts, forScore will do most all of what you want, and it's pretty well reviewed.
https://forscore.co/

I read part of an orchestra rehearsal on an iPad Mini with forScore and it was a no problem reading and getting around. No doubt a full size or pro Pad would have been preferable. The cool thing then was that nobody had the trumpet part so the tuba player went online and downloaded it from IMSLP. Took just minutes.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
plunkett
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the iPad/4Score recommendation - I've been using the combination for years (but I AM a "Mac guy")...

Pat
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forscore/4score has the best capability from what I've seen, but I've used plain old Goodreader since 2010 with an iPad, and it has worked pretty well. It allows you to manage content via synching and downloading from an FTP server.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Software for managing music / lead sheets for bands Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
I'm looking to invest in a tablet / music solution to organize all my lead sheets and efficiently share them with multiple bands. I need the software to do the following:

1) Excellent display on tablet (Android/Windows preferred, I'm not a Mac guy - I'm thinking 12" Microsoft Surface or 10" Samsung Android)
2) Keep all my lead sheets / charts organized
3) Put together set lists
4) Easily share lead sheets / charts with other band members for download/printing or display on their own tablets
5) Keep multiple books separate from each other so I know which charts are being played in which bands

I see a couple of different things happening here: storing lead sheets, sharing and using music. I can share a method that one band uses that might give you some ideas for your situation.

I play in a band where the leader scans all the music and keeps the parts online in box.com (kinda like dropbox.com, but box.com is more generous with storage).

He distributes parts by sending emails to members with links to their parts so they can download the PDFs from box. For example, he'll send links to the tpt parts to the tpt section, tbn parts to the tbn section, etc.

For set lists, he just sends an email to everyone with the list. Easy.

Then it's up to each player to download the parts and either print them on their own printer or upload the PDFs into the tablet of his/her choice. In my case, I upload them into the ForScore app on my iPad and build a setlist. A few others do the same. The rest print their parts and put them into a 3-ring binder or folder.

I love the ForScore app and recommend it highly. It works with the Apple pencil so I can make notes just like on paper. And the links feature is invaluable: it lets you define jumps so you touch a blue dot on the page and it jumps to a spot, which can be several pages away, and highlights the target spot on the landing page. Great for jumps to the DS several pages away. (How'd we ever survive before all this tech?)
Piccolo Stomvi
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Touching the spot is cool, but not optimal. When I used forScore with my iPad I simply cloned the pages and erased the measures that were skipped. That way I could just pedal forward and use my hands for making music.

The main issue I had with my iPad was that it didn’t have a pen for markup. It is difficult to mark things with your finger and achieve good accuracy.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPad pro, with the apple pencil and forscore + pageflip bluetooth pedals.

Best thing since sliced bread.

Forget about hauling stand lights or a huge book to a gig ever again.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Very helpful.

It's looking like the iPad Pro with ForScore and Apple Pencil is the consensus winner. I've never owned a Mac product before so it may take a little getting used to, but I suppose it's a nice enough device on its own merits that I'll be glad to have it around. With all the accessories and bells and whistles, I guess I'm budgeting $1200 or so for this.

Still accepting any alternative suggestions!

Cheers
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a budget and getting really creative you can turn most any flatscreen (<$100) into a PC by adding a Stick PC (~$150).
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/best-stick-pcs/

Obviously a touch monitor (>$200) would get you closer to a tablet.
http://www.toptenreviews.com/computers/peripherals/best-touchscreen-monitors/

Then you'd have to find a PC equivalent to forScore which I haven't tried to do. In theory you could McGuyver something for a good bit less than $1200.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
Still accepting any alternative suggestions!

I picked up an HP "PRO12 Slate" for cheap when HP stopped making them.

It's essentially a 12" diagonal Android. It was designed to display a US Standard 8.5x11 sheet at full size.

Two apps available on Google Play - both work with Air-Turn pedals. I havn't tried either with the available "pen".

The biggest problem I have, and a strong selling point for Apple products: it doesn't fit the tablet holders that to attach to microphone stands.

Gary.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some adjustable one-size-fits-all tablet holders out there, if you have an oddball sized model.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gripe is that for some reason Android is no longer installed on 12" tablets - they all run Microsoft Windows and are way too powerful and expensive for what I need. Must be a software licensing issue or something, but across the board there are no 12" Android tablets. What gives?

So I guess it's iPad Pro or nothing, unless I want to chance some older model on eBay...
lakejw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going the tablet route I would also recommend this:

https://www.amazon.com/Donner-Bluetooth-Turner-Tablets-Rechargeable/dp/B06XNW9LRP/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1518192013&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=page+turner&psc=1

Charged it when I got it and haven't had to since. That's >6months of hands-free page turning on one charge.

johnlakejazz.com
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
There are some adjustable one-size-fits-all tablet holders out there, if you have an oddball sized model.
One size fits most. The HP is 0.250" too wide to fit into any of them - except one gawd-awful-expensive German one...

G.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghelbig wrote:
RandyTX wrote:
One size fits most. The HP is 0.250" too wide to fit into any of them - except one gawd-awful-expensive German one...

G.

What's the outer dimensions? I have one that cost about 12 bucks that seems far bigger than necessary for my ipad pro.
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
ghelbig wrote:
RandyTX wrote:

G.

What's the outer dimensions? I have one that cost about 12 bucks that seems far bigger than necessary for my ipad pro.

302 x 223 mm - I'd love to find a $12 stand!

G.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, this is not a 'stand', but a clip-on attachment for an existing mic stand. It appears the price has gone up a few bucks since I bought mine, but it claims to support up to 15" tablets.

If my quick math and conversion to inches is correct, the dimensions you gave would be roughly a 1/4" (diagonally) under that 15". It might be difficult to fit inside, since the mount points fit around the bezel, or it might be sufficient. It's hard to estimate how much 'wiggle room' you really need. Playing around with a ruler here, I think you could still fit it inside, but it might mean temporarily removing (quite easy) one of the two adjustment arms, sliding the tablet in place, then reinstalling the arm.

Extended open all the way, this one has over in an inch to spare vertically and horizontally relative to my ipad pro. The way it attaches is diagonally, using an arm with plastic 'yoyo' type mount points that surround the case and hold it in place.

When you get the tablet inside, you tighten down knurled knobs on each end to hold it in place. There are quite a few high res images on the page linked below.

It comes with two sets of the extension arms, one shorter than the other so the collapsed size is smaller when you use a smaller tablet. I have the larger of the two sets installed currently.

https://www.amazon.com/Hola-Music-HM-MTH-Microphone-Smartphone/dp/B00QT1E3K2?ref=ast_p_pc_bs
gabriel127
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple computers are overpriced, but they've become a status symbol for many. I'm not into status symbols.

So a guy who wants to outfit his band with music reading software and tablets mounted on mic stands has to go out and spend $1400 per unit for an ipad with a 12.9" screen? For how many musicians? That's insane.

And you don't want anything smaller than the 12.9" screen. 13.3 is the most common size that's non-Apple that would accommodate the application.

The thing that's really sad about this is that the music reading application does not require a lot of processing power or storage space by today's standards. All you're doing is storing PDFs and turning pages--big whoop. You could do that with a 1986 vintage 286 processor with 4K of RAM and a 20 MB hard drive!

I made a post about this when someone was asking what was new at the NAMM conference and I thought maybe someone would have come out with a machine to inexpensively handle this application. After all wouldn't most musicians rather put the money into their gear, rather than buying a 12.9" iPad as a music reading tablet? I already have multiple computers, I don't need another one. i just need one to handle this one application.

Someone replied about using a flat screen monitor and a "computer-on-a-stick." That's no good. Yeah, it's cheaper, but now you have to have another extension cord and two power receptacles because you'll need power for the monitor and for the computer-on-a-stick. So now you're going to run an extension cord to every position where a person will use this setup? Naaah. You're better off with a tablet that can stay on displaying music for 4 hours.

By the way LinkeSoft Songbook is an app for reading music that works on ios, Windows, or Android machines. For Android machines there are additional choices.

I just find it flabbergasting that no one has come out with the perfect tablet that is built just for music reading applications and priced according to only having what you need on it. Getting a 12.9" iPad for this application is like buying a 12-gauge shotgun, when all you need is a fly swatter.
lexluther
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plain and simple.Not enough buyers for the expense!
Flugel - Getzen Custom Reserve 4895
Eb/D - Yamaha 6610
Cornet - Bach Strad 184ML
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: