• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How do you pick a high point that works for you?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MountVernon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:00 pm    Post subject: How do you pick a high point that works for you? Reply with quote

I'm just curious how I would go about picking my ideal high point?

I tend to like Very wide outer diameters & rounded rims, but i'm wondering how I would find my ideal high point? Is this related to my jaw and dental structure, or lip thin/thickness?

Thanks
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no absolute measurements when it comes to equipment. The best thing you can do is try out as many different mouthpieces as you can, and make note of which ones feel comfortable, which ones are easiest to play, and which ones get the best results. Trumpet equipment doesn't exist in a vacuum, and most equipment design is done by copying older designs and making small changes rather than starting from scratch. I'd recommend looking at what professionals choose for the type of playing you're interested in, and staying within that ballpark.

I assume you're in the process of ordering a custom mouthpiece or using VennCAD to design your own based on your post history. If you have a mouthpiece that works well, start with that as a blueprint and experiment with small changes that correlate with your desired improvements. If you haven't played that many mouthpieces, buy a handful of mouthpieces in a variety of sizes ebay or the TH marketplace and see which rim contours feel best, and which ones get the results you're after.

It's also worth mentioning that the best mouthpiece for you may not be the most comfortable or the best feeling when you first try it. You will adapt to whatever mouthpiece you end up playing, so always choose a mouthpiece by the sound rather than the feeling of playing it. Avoid the "15 minute mouthpiece" that feels great when you demo it, but wears you out after 15 minutes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: