• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Hickman's "100 lessons for comeback players": I li

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ehammarlund

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Hickman's "100 lessons for comeback players": I li Reply with quote

Just started working with it and I thought I'd post a specific recommendation.

I have all my old books from when I played much better, but the entry stuff was too boring and the more advanced stuff was too high.

The thing that makes this clearly aimed at "comeback" players (and which makes it muchmore interesting to use) is that the lessons have somewhat harder fingerings/rhythm/intervals in comparison to being "all about range." It's not SUPER different, but different enough to hit the right spot for me, at least.

If each "lesson" takes two days (one day to practice and another day to absolutely nail it) then with ~4-5 days/week of practicing the book will take about 9 months. If I can nail lesson 100 in 9 months, I'll be quite happy.

Anyway, check it out. It seems well-suited to a 25 year gap.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the book but, and I'm only speaking for myself and no one else, one of the very things you mention as making it more interesting, works against me.

I'm talking about "somewhat harder fingerings . . in comparison to being all about range." I don't think books like Rubank or Mitchell are all about range, rather have a balance in their exercises. And for me, the fingerings are harder to the point of being out of balance with other exercises in the lessons.

That basically means either staying on one lesson longer than otherwise necessary, since I can play the other exercises with no problem, or taking these exercises inordinately slower than intended, in order to keep moving along.

My personal choice is the latter because I would otherwise be spending an inordantely amount of time before moving on. Boring.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hickman book is great. It also gets articulation going pretty well.

I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to progress through the lessons though. Better to go too slow than too fast, which can cause comeback players to pick up bad habits trying to play something they aren't ready for yet. Kind of like returning to strenuous sports after a long layoff: better to go slow and build a good base level of fitness to reduce the risk of injury.
Piccolo Stomvi
Jordynbaxter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of loaded question here guys, what grade level do you reckon you'd roughly be at if you worked your way through the book and could play everything in it up to standard?
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a further development. Some of the fingering patterns are, to me, not on the same difficulty level as the rest of the exercises, so I have gone ahead with what I can play and go back to the more demanding finger exercises.

For some, this is probably not the right approach, but for me, I know what I'm doing, not shooting in the dark. I may have special digital challenges that others don't have.

One thing I do like, is that it slows down demands on range.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordynbaxter wrote:
Kind of loaded question here guys, what grade level do you reckon you'd roughly be at if you worked your way through the book and could play everything in it up to standard?

I'm unfamiliar with the grade level system used in the UK, but here's a tune that appears in the last lesson (I transcribed a few bars into MuseScore to make this sample):

Don't know if you recognize this, but it's a fiddle tune, Devil's Dream, that's supposed to be played at a pretty brisk pace. Maybe this will give you a sense of the ultimate level reached in Hickman's progressive lessons book. I'd say it requires a fair bit of agility and accuracy to be played up to standard.
Piccolo Stomvi
Jordynbaxter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Just a further development. Some of the fingering patterns are, to me, not on the same difficulty level as the rest of the exercises, so I have gone ahead with what I can play and go back to the more demanding finger exercises.

For some, this is probably not the right approach, but for me, I know what I'm doing, not shooting in the dark. I may have special digital challenges that others don't have.

One thing I do like, is that it slows down demands on range.

How far into the book are you just now? I started at new year and am working on lesson 10 just now. Agree about the range comment, and its weird because mine seems to be improving without having to push it specifically. The highest note ive played so far in the book is a 4th line D but ive also just start the jazz everyone programme and can hit the G above the staff consistently and i got a few Ab's the other day when i tried for them. When i played as a boy the highest notei had was D and even then it was hit or miss, duno if its an age thing or more the fact i actually practise now rather than just play "when the saints go marching in" in C Major lol.
Jordynbaxter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstdenis wrote:
Jordynbaxter wrote:

I'm unfamiliar with the grade level system used in the UK, but here's a tune that appears in the last lesson (I transcribed a few bars into MuseScore to make this sample):

Don't know if you recognize this, but it's a fiddle tune, Devil's Dream, that's supposed to be played at a pretty brisk pace. Maybe this will give you a sense of the ultimate level reached in Hickman's progressive lessons book. I'd say it requires a fair bit of agility and accuracy to be played up to standard.

I think its just the grade 1-8 ABRSM or trinity, is it not international?

I don't know, i dont intend on doing any exams, definitely not classical perhaps jazz but no plans to. The jazz grade repitoire books are pretty good, with backinf tracks etc.
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve used this book quite successfully with students. What I like about Hickman’s approach is that he nicely decouples range from making actual music using the trumpet/cornet. Nearly every other method stretches/stresses higher range too fast. I have a feeling Dr. Hickman wanted to offer an alternative that will help produce better musicians who play the trumpet.
AKAustralia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bike&ed wrote:
I’ve used this book quite successfully with students. What I like about Hickman’s approach is that he nicely decouples range from making actual music using the trumpet/cornet. Nearly every other method stretches/stresses higher range too fast. I have a feeling Dr. Hickman wanted to offer an alternative that will help produce better musicians who play the trumpet.

Agreed! It's perfect for using with younger students that perhaps don't have the physicality to be pushing too far out of the staff, but they can keep developing their articulation, fingering, and reading skills nicely with the Hickman book. Highly recommended.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: