• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Warm up Routines?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Warm up Routines? Reply with quote

I would like to hear what everyone’s warm up routine is before gigs and performances. What do you do? Do you warm up at the gig or at home beforehand? Thanks :)
'56 Martin Committee Deluxe #2 trumpet
14B Schilke mouthpiece
Couesnon Paris flugelhorn
Bob Reeves Sleeves and PVA
irith
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to do a normal warm-up in the morning at home just to ensure that the fundamentals are there. Breath attacks, soft Clarke, some flow studies or Stamp to check on basic sound production, response, pitch. Nothing too high or loud, maybe touch the higher notes I'll need for the gig. Play a little on any horn(s) I'll use in the performance.

I usually skip the more dedicated technique work like flexibilities to keep myself fresh, though depending on the difficulty of the performance I might do a little more.

Very minimal warm-up on location. I find that if I've done my core routine for the day I don't need much later on.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideally I like to play a little bit in the morning and do a short warm-up at the gig to check the sound, get a feel for the space. These days I do not have a strict warm-up routine but I have a set of musical excerpts that I check on pretty much everyday. This includes: an Arban's lip slurs exercise, a 2 octave soft major arpeggio up and down in each valve combination, something with fast staccato articulation, some bending, a lyrical melody, taking parts of transcriptions I've been working on, some glissandos, Caruso 5 notes, some excerpts from a few different Charlier's. I stop frequently, repeat certain things a lot if they're not responding right, and also play somewhat stream of conscious without following a specific order of things.
I try to really warm up my fingers and my tongue as opposed to doing lots of long tones before a gig.
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a daily fundamental routine that I’ve used for a couple of decades. It’s evolved over time, but the core is the same — a variation of Boyd Hood’s Stamp stuff and other fundamentals. It takes an hourish. I do it every morning regardless of later playing demands. If there’s an early morning call and sleep wins out, I have an abridged version that takes about 5 minutes. Any warming up on site is nothing more than making sure the hole still goes all the way through and a few notes to adjust my ears.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoseLindE4 wrote:
I have a daily fundamental routine that I’ve used for a couple of decades. It’s evolved over time, but the core is the same — a variation of Boyd Hood’s Stamp stuff and other fundamentals. It takes an hourish. I do it every morning regardless of later playing demands. If there’s an early morning call and sleep wins out, I have an abridged version that takes about 5 minutes. Any warming up on site is nothing more than making sure the hole still goes all the way through and a few notes to adjust my ears.

This! Well said! My approach exactly - over time many years, my hour-ish routine became more like 45-ish minutes but as consistent - daily.
Air, Fingers, Tongue - Flow Studies, scales, flexibility, articulation studies, lyrical & technical etudes...
Practicing music for the next gig, upcoming events, and new material is a separate event.
Likewise, my warm-up for the rehearsal or gig, is just that: getting loose, getting an ear for the room/ensemble, and first steps toward tuning and balance.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn´t have expressed it better!
Same procedure every day regardless of what (well - a heavy cold when I barely can breath - nope).
Last couple of years more standardized: The Laurie Frink Integrated warm up stuff.
Some days´ last night´s gig may have had a certain impact so one may have to put ones ears towards the rail!
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My warm-up routine was based on a busy playing career. I warmed up at the gig for live work and at home for studio work. I tried to make it short and sweet. A routine becomes addictive and in those situations were a long warmup routine is not possible there can be negative mental thoughts.

-Caruso 6 notes
-Petals to recover from the last 24 hours
-Flexibility low C-G-C fast chromatically down to F#
-Flexibility 3rd space C-G-C
-Chromatic 3rd space C to C then tongued high F down to petal F arpeggio
-Caruso Harmonics to high G down chromatically

DONE less than 10 minutes.

My briar patch was commercial lead. I could fool the conductors by changing equipment and limiting the high notes in the warm-up.
Anthony Miller

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do 1,2,3,4 and 14, 15 every day as warmups before my main practise. Only the first three on band days.

https://www.lonokeschools.org/cms/lib/AR01001483/Centricity/Domain/95/Trumpet%20Warmup.pdf
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone-I appreciate your answers. In the past I've been warming up on gigs at the venue, starting with pedals and some flow studies, then moving to some Colin flexibilities and some patterns. I've been having better results with cutting down my warm up routine and am considering cutting it down further. I'm also thinking about doing it at home and just playing a bit at the venue before the gig. I'll see how it goes-thanks again for your feedback...
'56 Martin Committee Deluxe #2 trumpet
14B Schilke mouthpiece
Couesnon Paris flugelhorn
Bob Reeves Sleeves and PVA
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an abbreviated version of my daily routine. I play until my mind is calm, my breath is relaxed, and my sound is what I want. May be 15 minutes, may be an hour. Usually with some expending scales up to high G.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I belong to a brass and reed band that plays a lot of demanding material, and for me, a lot of Gs, As and Bs above the staff. My warmup is a couple of 2 octave scales and that is all I need. I am 85 so it's important to save the chops for the music to be played for that concert or practice.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 71, I have altered practice to especially include air flow and keep stray thoughts out of the way. The days of taking the horn out of the case and being ready in 2 minutes are long gone.
Flow studies, Stamp exercises, Clarke, Arban, scales, and lip slurs get me ready in 15 minutes. Never loud, always mf. Then time for playing music.
R. Tomasek
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: