• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Developing Ear

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VintageHorns

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Developing Ear Reply with quote

When tuning to my college's trumpet section, I find that I can definitely tell when I'm personally out of tune to the others, but as to whether it's sharp or flat is pretty much a guess on my part. I've been told to try singing to a piano to try and get pitches into my head. However do any of you have any techniques that you'd recommend?
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Developing Ear Reply with quote

VintageHorns wrote:
When tuning to my college's trumpet section, I find that I can definitely tell when I'm personally out of tune to the others, but as to whether it's sharp or flat is pretty much a guess on my part. I've been told to try singing to a piano to try and get pitches into my head. However do any of you have any techniques that you'd recommend?

Listening to the others, or to the piano man who usually is the one establishing the base, you could try bending the note in question (usually a B, or piano/concert key A), up or down - then you should get an indication whether too sharp or the reverse. In other words exaggerate the possible deviation from the "norm"!
Covering one ear while listening to your own sound (a technique used by singers, in a choir or elsewhere) enhances the discrimination of the pitch.
Simply!
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are pretty good mobile apps out there for ear training. Check out "Tone" by Crescendo Technologies, for example: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tone-perfect-pitch-training/id1139019670?mt=8
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practice and sing slow scales against a drone. You should be able to find some online if you look around. Make this a part of your daily routine.

If you can't figure out which way to go when you're out of tune, pick a direction. If it gets worse, go the other way. It isn't always about knowing the right answer, but rather finding the right answer quickly. There's a difference. You don't have to think so much, just go one way and see what happens, then quickly fix it.

It's often easier to hear out of tune from below, so tune like a string player. Bend the note below and back up until you hear it lock in.

When tuning as soloist with a piano, you play first. Play your most centered, beautiful note you can. Then have the piano play and adjust. If we let the piano player go first, we can match the pitch without finding the center of the horn. We'll either play centered and out of tune or uncentered and in tune.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Developing Ear Reply with quote

Seymor B Fudd wrote:
VintageHorns wrote:

Listening to the others, or to the piano man who usually is the one establishing the base, you could try bending the note in question (usually a B, or piano/concert key A), up or down - then you should get an indication whether too sharp or the reverse. In other words exaggerate the possible deviation from the "norm"!
Covering one ear while listening to your own sound (a technique used by singers, in a choir or elsewhere) enhances the discrimination of the pitch.
Simply!

That should work, but (kind of nitpicking here), I think the OP is probably talking about the college trumpet section of a concert band, I doubt there is a piano.

Brad
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that carefully bending your pitch should be able to tell whether you're getting better or worse.

I've struggled with this myself and don't hesitate to break out the tuner (my phone) when in doubt.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a trumpet issue so leave the trumpet in the case.

Get a tuner app on your phone. Go to a piano. Play a phrase from a simple tune. Notice that the tuner should show the notes as being in tune. Then sing the phrase slowly looking at the tuner. You will see how you are out of tune. Go back to the piano and play the phrase, but don't look at the tuner anymore. Just listen to the notes. Then sing the phrase looking at the tuner. Keep going back and forth. You should start improving.
pepperdean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

During one of my first lessons at Conservatory, my teacher asked if I heard the piano playing in the distance. The answer was 'no' and he said I should be aware of all sounds around me. He went on to say I was out of tune with that piano and the sound was annoying to him and should have been to me. That was the start of my learning to "hear."

Get used to listening for details and good hearing and adjusting will become a habit.

Alan
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irving wrote:
It's not a trumpet issue so leave the trumpet in the case.

Get a tuner app on your phone. Go to a piano. Play a phrase from a simple tune. Notice that the tuner should show the notes as being in tune. Then sing the phrase slowly looking at the tuner. You will see how you are out of tune. Go back to the piano and play the phrase, but don't look at the tuner anymore. Just listen to the notes. Then sing the phrase looking at the tuner. Keep going back and forth. You should start improving.

Good advice, but completely leaving the horn out of the equation is a bit extreme, in my opinion.

Brad
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Developing Ear Reply with quote

[quote="Seymor B Fudd"]
Listening to the others, or to the piano man... /quote]

Solid advice; listen to the piano man
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to spend a couple minutes with my middle school band kids during warm up together with a long, sustained tone in unison/octaves, then move up a half step, back to original pitch, then down a half step, then back to original pitch. Then move in half notes around quarter=60. Up, back, down, back, etc to let it sink in and making sure no one needed to watch notes, just do it by ear/memory. I believe it taught and reinforced pitch and moving away either direction and resolving back to the center. The kids would then nearly compete to answer correctly when we'd stop somewhere in a selection to try to tune unison pitches between a couple kids. Most of them were spot on after a little work this way and they enjoyed being right. It's one thing to talk about flat/sharp/same, a different thing to put into practice. This was the best bet for us, although today I'd definitely add a drone as well along with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: