• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Worth it to get a cornet?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VintageHorns

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Worth it to get a cornet? Reply with quote

I'm currently in college with a passion for music. However I've always wondered if it's worth it to get a cornet. It seems like money would be better spent just getting a trumpet in another key, valve alignment, etc would be more worth it than simply a darker sounding horn? I'm quite inexperienced but it seems like why not just get a flugel mouthpiece or something to achieve something that a cornet could provide.
p76
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what you're going to be playing - if it's mostly classical stuff yes go trumpets in different keys etc. first.

If you have a hankering for trad jazz, or BBB, then yes, get a cornet.

Cheers,
Roger
Flugel - Kanstul 1525
Mpc. - ACB 3CS, ACB 3ES, Curry 3BBC, Kanstul FB Flugel
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The college experience is often a world of itself when it comes to a wide variety of playing opportunities. You will find that when you get out into the real world, the performance opportunities will be much more limited, and depending on your location, sometimes near zero. This being the case, one must actively seek out ensembles, gigs, solo work, etc. that appeal to your own musical interests. Roger is absolutely right in that you need to kind of think about your own musical preferences and intentions. That will help to inform your decisions in terms of acquiring horns/equipment.
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Worth it to get a cornet? Reply with quote

VintageHorns wrote:
why not just get a flugel mouthpiece or something to achieve something that a cornet could provide.

Are you referring to a hybrid trumpet/flugal mouthpiece? They're nice but don't match in any way the performance and feel of a cornet. As quality cornets are so inexpensive, I'd recommend it. I got a very playable cornet, Conn 17a, for $130. There are many other models normally in that range that are good players.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Worth it to get a cornet? Reply with quote

VintageHorns wrote:
I'm currently in college with a passion for music. However I've always wondered if it's worth it to get a cornet. It seems like money would be better spent just getting a trumpet in another key, valve alignment, etc would be more worth it than simply a darker sounding horn? I'm quite inexperienced but it seems like why not just get a flugel mouthpiece or something to achieve something that a cornet could provide.

Do you have a teacher, and if so, what does s/he think?

I like the advice already given, that it depends on what your goals are. In general, I would think that the most common horns to get would be a flugel, C trumpet, or piccolo trumpet.

There aren't many cornet gigs out here. But if you're into British Brass Band, gypsy jazz, or dixieland, it might be worth looking into. (Although, FWIW, I play my gypsy jazz and dixieland gigs on the trumpet, not the cornet.)

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to play all those old barn-burner solos from Clarke and Arban, a good cornet is generally more nimble, but not absolutely necessary. A cornet is on my wish list, but after piccolo, C, and Eb/D trumpets, in that order.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Worth it to get a cornet Reply with quote

Hello all,
Many responses touched on the idea of what the intent would be of having a cornet. I would come at the notion like this...If you are trying to learn the literature of trumpet and are a trumpet performance major, you need the tools for all the genres. Certainly early or traditional jazz used the cornet as did the likes of Herbert Clarke and others in solo works. I might add that concert band music of mid century, had cornet and trumpet parts that were written differently to exploit the sound differences of the bores and timbres. I hope that the wind band conductors would ask that those parts be covered appropriately for the sake of intended sound. So, my thinking is that if you can afford having instruments to learn the genres, you should spend the money. It is a part of the education. Now, I also realize that many students don't have that luxury, and I would hope that the trumpet studios would have the instruments to loan. Like with trumpets, cornets should be chosen for sound quality, not just because it is called a cornet. The modern student cornets don't cut it in my book.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree that it simply depends on what you want to play.

FWIW, I played in wind ensembles, ensembles, big bands, combos, theater orch., regular orch., military band, you name it and played trumpet the entire time. But I got the old music and BBB bug so got a couple of cornets.

Like I said, depends on how you want to use a horn.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
amateurcornetist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Worth it to get a cornet? Reply with quote

VintageHorns wrote:

Many cornets sound like trumpets.
There is no sense in buying a cornet that sounds like a trumpet.

It would only make sense to buy a cornet that sounds significantly different from a trumpet.

People disagree on what a cornet should sound like,
but whatever it should sound like is NOT a trumpet.

A Conn Director cornet has the same .483" bore as a Conn 5A cornet,
but the Conn Director cornet sounds like a trumpet
while the Conn 5A cornet sounds like a cornet.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure some wind ensemble and orchestra stuff would seem to want for one, but I haven't felt the need. I've only felt the need when playing in a BBB. But that was at a workshop I attend only occasionally. Only if I were to join a local BBB would I feel compelled to get a cornet. Not that I mind having a good one for traditional cornet literature. The vintage one I have needs some work, a better mouthpiece, and probably a valve job.

A flugel, picc, C or Eb would probably be more useful. Which, would depend on your particular situation.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another opinion among opinions –

– Buying an old, inexpensive, used cornet sometimes presents a secondary problem of finding the proper mpc for the horn. Old Conns (of a certain vintage) and Olds cornets should have pieces with special shanks. Once the shank taper is sorted out, there is the cup/rim quest.

Many of us fool around with old cornets hoping to find one that “speaks” to us but for performance horns to be used in refined ensembles, we’ll spend the money for one of the many pro cornets now available.

Your idea to get a flgl piece to get a different sound is not really off base.

The Curry TF in your regular rim size is a lot of fun. Not a true flgl sound but warm (if not rich) and beautiful. In addition to using it as a flgl or cornet get-by, it can be very useful in legitimate situations. Very useful for ppp entrances, for example. The piece (or similar ones from other manufacturers) are used by many orchestral players for certain situations.

Get a Curry TF mpc that you will use for certain things for the rest of your career.

Get a pro cornet when you need one.

Dabble in old cornets when you’ve got the time and money for a hobby.

Denny
oldblow
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful how you go about slaking your interest in cornets. I dabbled with some cheap ones, and found that I like cornet much better than trumpet for general playing. Now I keep a Besson 10-10 silver shepherd's crook and a Kanstul American long cornet at hand all the time. They never see their case. When I need a trumpet, I rummage around the house and find one, but my gig bag is only loaded with cornet and flugelhorn.
amateurcornetist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldblow wrote:
... found that I like cornet much better than trumpet...

I had the same experience.

Cornets are so flexible that they can sound like trumpets and flugels and everything in-between.

Compared to multi-faceted cornets, all trumpets sound alike and are boring.

delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amateurcornetist wrote:

Cornets are so flexible that they can sound like trumpets and flugels and everything in-between.

Compared to multi-faceted cornets, all trumpets sound alike and are boring....

Cornets sound especially like cornets. If you need a flugelsound, take a flugel.
And cornets can sound A VERY LITTLE BIT like a trumpet, especially in the ears of non-players who has no idea of the difference anyway.

Trumpets are not sounding the same, there are more different brands and types of trumpets than of cornets and for a reason. The "real" cornetplayers play all on the same two, maybe three brands (as well cornets as mouthpieces) with exactly the same and only allowed sound. Look here on the forum for posts on the "real cornetsound" and the dismissing of the use of C-cups and the like on cornets. Or read some posts about trumpets that are yes/no blending in sections, a problem that should be non-existent if they all should sound the same.

The sound of a trumpet is much more divers and infinitely more interesting than that of a cornet but indeed this depends on the playing capacities of the player. I think the biggest mistake you make here is that you have no idea what a dark sound really is.
If you change your focus from "a dark sound' to resonance your outcome could be quite different.

BTW I own 4 trumpets, 5 cornets and a (rotary) flugel.
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This really all depends on your school, teacher, and ensemble directors. At my undergrad we (the trumpet studio) played everything on trumpets - even the "cornet" parts in wind ensemble. I don't think I touched a cornet the entire time I was there. At grad school however, anytime there was a part for cornet it was played on cornet - mainly in the wind ensemble - so my cornet got a lot of use. But even then, it's not worth spending a lot of money on a cornet unless you're planning to do specialty playing like brass bands or something. For basic wind ensemble or orchestra duty, there are plenty of used cornets under $500 that are more than sufficient. Just check Craigslist and eBay. Ultimately, unless you personally get really into some sort of specialized cornet playing, a cornet isn't going to be paying the bills or winning you auditions, so don't spend too much money on it.

Don't get sucked into the back and forth about "cornet sound and flexibility" or "cornet vs trumpet" that some of these people are going on about. This sounds like a purely practical matter, and unless you are super interested in it or your ensemble directors/teacher mandate it, then spend the money on a C trumpet, flugel, piccolo, valve alignment, or whatever else that you'll get more use out of.
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether a cornet is useful depends entirely on what you're doing.

If you're playing symphonic music, a cornet is less useful than just about every other horn you can imagine. Yes, there are orchestral cornet parts, but even then, it's not absolutely required until you're in a professional situation (and even then it depends on the orchestra and the piece). You need a C and a piccolo and an E flat more for sure, and quite possibly rotary, F/G, and even flugel (if you find yourself also doing pops shows or pit work).

If you're playing jazz and commercial music, a flugel will be way more useful in almost all situations.

Where you need a cornet is a brass band or some wind bands.

Now, if what you're doing is playing for your own enjoyment, a cornet may be extremely useful. It's a little easier to play quieter and warmer, you can read the same parts, you don't have to learn to contend with a different key, if you show up for community band rehearsal with one probably nobody will strangle you. But it's important to remember that this situation, while very common on TH, probably has little in common with the O/P's.

My suggestion would be that while you're in school, focus on acquiring and learning the instruments you certainly need. If there's extra money burning a hole in your pocket, go visit some exceptional teachers or hear some exceptional concerts or save it up until you know what other horns you need. As I said, for most orchestral players, a rotary trumpet will be more useful than a cornet -- but I ended up in a ballet orchestra in a town with a professional brass band, so I have three cornets and no rotary trumpets...
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nonsense Eliminator wrote:
Whether a cornet is useful depends entirely on what you're doing.

If you're playing symphonic music, a cornet is less useful than just about every other horn you can imagine. Yes, there are orchestral cornet parts, but even then, it's not absolutely required until you're in a professional situation (and even then it depends on the orchestra and the piece). You need a C and a piccolo and an E flat more for sure, and quite possibly rotary, F/G, and even flugel (if you find yourself also doing pops shows or pit work).

If you're playing jazz and commercial music, a flugel will be way more useful in almost all situations.

Where you need a cornet is a brass band or some wind bands.

Now, if what you're doing is playing for your own enjoyment, a cornet may be extremely useful. It's a little easier to play quieter and warmer, you can read the same parts, you don't have to learn to contend with a different key, if you show up for community band rehearsal with one probably nobody will strangle you. But it's important to remember that this situation, while very common on TH, probably has little in common with the O/P's.

My suggestion would be that while you're in school, focus on acquiring and learning the instruments you certainly need. If there's extra money burning a hole in your pocket, go visit some exceptional teachers or hear some exceptional concerts or save it up until you know what other horns you need. As I said, for most orchestral players, a rotary trumpet will be more useful than a cornet -- but I ended up in a ballet orchestra in a town with a professional brass band, so I have three cornets and no rotary trumpets...

bnsd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take my cornet to ALMOST every gig (exception being the commercial soul/Motown/rock band)...

For playing around the house, AFTER I've done my studies, I love taking the cornet out and playing some Arban's and some trad jazz. A good cornet is totally unlike a trumpet or a flugelhorn for me.

Even in big band settings, when I get the chance to pull it out for a jazz solo, I always grab that instead of my lead horn (except when the solo is clearly a scream type solo over the ensemble)

as others have already pointed out... the flexibility on a cornet is a lot of fun, and the darker sound and slightly softer volume tend to blend in well with smaller ensembles.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you plan on playing in a BBB, a good concert band, or soloing, then you need and/or can use a cornet. If you have some mad money and just want one, then buy one - a good one is fun to play. If none of those apply, then buy something more useful, like a C trumpet, picc, or flugelhorn, depending on which way your musical interests lean.
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you need/want a cornet! But........

You’re going to need a short cornet with and without a shepherds crook, you’ll also need a long cornet with and without a shepherds crook and one that is shaped like a trumpet and then.........

You’ll need at very least a half dozen mouthpieces and one of them should definitely be a Denis Wick 4, and then maybe.........

An antique cornet of your fancy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: