• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Berkeleywinds C Flugelhorn thingy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:24 am    Post subject: Berkeleywinds C Flugelhorn thingy Reply with quote

So, I am an overenthusiastic returnee who loves novelty...

I saw that Berkeleywinds makes a C Flugelhorn that has been met some (probably justifiable) derision. I can get one here for ~$400, which is a bit off of the US listprice.

I 90% won't get it, but my question is, with something like this could I just play along with a the melody line in a hymnbook. Right now I have a C pocket trumpet that I'm enthusiastic about, and I wonder if I could use it in a similar way. I probably won't do this, but if I had the chance to try out several live and pick the best I wonder if it might be worth it. http://berkeleywind.com/c-bass-flugelhorn.html?viewfullsite=1

Another barrier for something like this is that I probably could not get a mute, which may be necessary for me to play something like it here.
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I’ve had good luck with Chinese made budget instruments. I’d say go for it. And yes, you could play directly out of a hymnal
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you could play directly from a hymnal without having to transpose, but this is a C Bass Flugelhorn, so it will play an octave lower and take a trombone/euphonium-size mouthpiece, which will be a notable change from the C pocket trumpet mouthpiece. Also, FYI, it has rotary valves.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I like that you are talking this up It would be a fun one-man-show horn. Odds are still against it, but if my used Bb trumpet purchase doesn't work out and I could actually try this out in person it could be a fun instrument.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t know....Asian made (I KNOW that doesn’t necessarily mean “junk”, but it does in some cases), Asian made rotary valves.... . 🤔
Personally I would pass.

Brad
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not likely going to be playing the melody line with a bass horn.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A front facing euphonium / baritone in C. Move on and find something useful to play, this is not it.

For playing from a hymnal, if you must use a C instrument, just play the pocket trumpet or a C trumpet, there is no reason to go an octave lower at all. It just as easy to transpose at sight and be more useful. Our school has a chapel band and my grade 4 kids transpose hymns and other worship songs every week. This is on not only trumpet, but also clarinet and alto sax. And they play bass clef part at times as well.

cheers

Andy
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
A front facing euphonium / baritone in C. Move on and find something useful to play, this is not it.

For playing from a hymnal, if you must use a C instrument, just play the pocket trumpet or a C trumpet, there is no reason to go an octave lower at all.

Andy, I respectfully disagree on this particular point. There are many who like the sound of the trombone/baritone as a solo instrument for hymns.

One recent Church Musical Minister I played for often used trombones for this. I felt he was being kind of a traitor, since he was a former professional trumpet player himself.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good point. I need to learn to transcribe. I maybe should just get a flugelhorn and learn to transcribe if that's what I want to do. I looked at some online videos but need to dedicate some time to this. One of the dilemmas for those of us who are non-pros and only occasional players is that building up the regular musical skills (transcription, writing descants or punching up music, truly learning to double) take time.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaveTrumpetWillTravel wrote:
This is a good point. I need to learn to transcribe. I maybe should just get a flugelhorn and learn to transcribe if that's what I want to do. I looked at some online videos but need to dedicate some time to this. One of the dilemmas for those of us who are non-pros and only occasional players is that building up the regular musical skills (transcription, writing descants or punching up music, truly learning to double) take time.

It is a good idea to learn how to transpose, but it’s not totally necessary, if you are more of a hobbyist (and I am not implying that there is anything wrong with that). If you don’t want to play a C instrument, I would think writing the melodies from a hymnal for Bb trumpet (all you need to do
is write it up a whole step) could not take long.

My problem with the bass trumpet you were considering was mostly the good chance of getting an instrument that you will have to fight to get the results you want.
I know from teaching kids in their first few years of playing that while they certainly don’t need a 2800.00 horn, one that plays terribly can really handicap them.

Brad
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny, but when I was doing violin with the kids, I learned that almost all string instruments are made in China now, and the biggest problem is the last stage "set up." So for strings now, often there are quite excellent instruments produced out of China, but you may need to have a professional cut a new bridge, check the nut, and put on new strings.

I suspect an instrument like this is similar. In the main review that circulates of this C flugelhorn, the reviewer said he added a spit valve, shortened the pipes for the tuning slide, and got a better mouthpiece, and then it was a pretty good instrument.

Transposing shouldn't be hard to learn, but I'd probably need someone to walk me through it.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread but out of personal interest I’m bringing it up again. As I wrote in another thread I have gotten into bass trumpet about 4 years ago and I really like the trumpet/bass trumpet combo (also for church stuff, as discussed before). Moreover, as I have the inverse personality of a cliché lead player I actually enjoy the fact that I am not in the center of attention the whole time with the bass trumpet.

So here is an observation and a question: my Chinese bass trumpet is pretty solid but the be great I would need a tech working on some points, notably cleaning and adjusting the (rotary) valves a little plus adding a few water keys. This can be done and overall the instrument would still be lower in cost than a pro instrument (which I’d love to have but can’t afford right now). As a result, I would not totally disregard these instruments, even in C - people working long day jobs have other boundary conditions than pro musicians and students when adding skills to their portfolio.

Question to the OP and others: has anyone tested the bass flugel in C linked above? Whaddya all think about it after playing?
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't even remember posting this, but I am the OP! I did not buy the instrument, which I hadn't realized was an octave lower. I ended up buying a mix of instruments, including some Bb trumpets, a Taiwanese flugabone and a good flugelhorn. This must have been in my first months back as a comeback player.

I also learned to transpose, which is much easier than I thought it would be, and on Easter I played my Bb trumpet with no problem. Brassnose, if I were you I'd either buy a flugelhorn or keep an eye out for very inexpensive, used marching instruments, since they are fun and cheap. I also like the idea of a less strident instrument, but I will say that churches often want a nice bright trumpet and the marching instruments have a reputation for iffy tuning (including presumably the Berkeleywinds.

Much gratitude to all of you who helped steer me well coming back to brass.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The marketplace has a used C bass flugelhorn listed now (Jinbao). You could write to the store and see their advice on the instrument also.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can transpose the easy stuff, I do this with the small trumpet group (where I use the bass trumpet). It does get confusing at times because some things are in treble clef and some are in bass clef, so there is an additional twist.

I already have a very good flugel so I am all set there.

The bass flugel in the marketplace is what triggered my interest again, but having it sent to Europe plus customs …
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: