• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Monette B2S3/B4s

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
windandsong
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some Schlossberg yesterday and I found that my top C was very flat compared to the octave below which is one of the ideas that he draws attention to, one of his bugbears it would seem. This was on a Bach 1 1/2c.

I wonder if other modern mouthpiece designers have tried to deal with this?

G
#7 pipe
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

windandsong wrote:
I did some Schlossberg yesterday and I found that my top C was very flat compared to the octave below which is one of the ideas that he draws attention to, one of his bugbears it would seem. This was on a Bach 1 1/2c.

I wonder if other modern mouthpiece designers have tried to deal with this?

G

I've found while playing on a Monette MP as I go up higher, the pitch goes up compared to a Bach mouthpiece. The high C is in tune but, G is a little high too. Believe it or not, it's more noticeable on the Monette trumpet.
windandsong
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: 2nd hand B4s is on its' way to me, £100.

I will post my thoughts.

G
#7 pipe
windandsong
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the B4s arrived this morning.

Thoughts:

The classic Monette sound is attractive but straight away I'm aware that I don't want have my own sound robbed by that. Ego aside, there is a broadening, purposeful quality when using it.

The cup is smaller than I thought, if anything it feels quite old fashioned and is a long away from m cups I usually play on. I have the same issues around the e to g above the staff of finding difficulty to slot notes that I seem to have on many c cup mouthpieces now, I guess the m cups allow a little more natural flexibility there. This feels a lot more C cup to me.

The mouthpiece is addictive to play and GENERALLY I feel like my flexibility is better. Doing Schlossberg fundamentals seems a little more accurate and easier. I feel slightly more in control of the instrument almost as though I just got a new clutch or something.

I certainly would not want to go any smaller with this brand, the cup already feels a little stuffy for me but this could be me not relaxing, compensating etc.
Feel pretty confident though endurance will be OK and this is a win as there is nothing worse for me than playing on something that sounds good but which is ultimately unpractical.

All thoughts welcome, especially during these few two weeks. I won't be moving back and forth unless something diabolical happens on a gig!

G
#7 pipe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: