• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

C Trumpets and Mouthpieces

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: C Trumpets and Mouthpieces Reply with quote

I have been reading the C trumpet mouthpiece threads with interest. I thought of commenting on one of those threads but then decided this is another discussion. Sorry for any redundancy. This is half mouthpiece and half trumpet.
One thing that does not come up in discussions of whether one can use the same mouthpiece with a Bb and C is whether the trumpets are closely matched in specs.
It would stand to reason that if you have a tight playing Bb and an open C, the mouthpieces would be different.
I would like to "hear" opinions on whether your C and Bb horns are closely matched, whether you think this matching is important, and how it affects your choice of mouthpiece.
Looking forward to the discussion.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
Rompson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Specs never tell the whole story. My .459 bore D trumpet plays just as open as my .453 bore Bb. Why? It is shorter. My piccolo is the tightest feeling of all of my horns.

Thats is why you rarely see Bb and C trumpets with matched specs. They play differently just because they are in a different key, and often play even more differently because of what the players want to get out of them.

If you take a look at a Bach 229 or 239 bell, you will see that it is much smaller in the throat than a 37 or 43 bell. I tend to think of the standard 229/239 large bore C trumpet like the standard Bach large bore Bb trumpet: Larger bore combined with a tighter bell for a more moderate experience. Still, most C trumpet players are looking for a trumpet with good accuracy but the power to project and fill an hall unamplified, so they play with a more open mouthpiece. If you don't need to do that, you can probably use a mouthpiece that is like what you use on your regular Bb trumpet.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I should have said playing characteristics instead of specs.
But, yes, the idea of different purposes for the two horns complicates the mouthpiece equation. Thanks for the insight.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
Rompson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah I see what you mean about feel vs specs.

FWIW I tend to use the same mouthpiece on my Bb and C whenever possible. The mouthpiece is a 1 1/4c with a 24 throat and Curry 2 (essentialy a Bach 7) backbore. My Bb is a M Bore 38 bell and my C is a L bore 229 bell. My mouthpiece opens up the front of my slightly tighter Bb but still gives me the sound and feel I prefer for most things I use a C trumpet, even thought my C is already slightly more open feeling.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use the same mouthpiece for both B flat and C trumpets. They aren't the same instrument and, regardless that they are both trumpets, have different design considerations.

Even Charlier recognized this:

"To use the same mouthpiece to play all the instruments (flugel horn, cornet, trumpets in F or C) with a mouthpiece for trumpet in B-flat, for example, is a great error. The result is that the harmonic resonance is thrown out of equilibrium because of the irregularities caused by disproportional tubing."

Taken from the ITG Journal supplement, May 1979, which can be found here: http://trumpetguild.org/journal-supplements .

In my own opinion and experience, using a mouthpiece that plays acceptably on both instruments means it won't play optimally on either one.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you would find that a lot of people do, in fact, use the same mouthpiece (or perhaps the same mouthpiece with a different throat or backbore) on C and B flat trumpets. And E flat trumpets. And all their other B flat and C trumpets. You are never going to make them all blow exactly the same, so at a certain point obsessing over getting exactly the right match is much less efficient than just picking something and learning to play it.
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tpt_Guy wrote:

"To use the same mouthpiece to play all the instruments (flugel horn, cornet, trumpets in F or C) with a mouthpiece for trumpet in B-flat, for example, is a great error. The result is that the harmonic resonance is thrown out of equilibrium because of the irregularities caused by disproportional tubing."

Taken from the ITG Journal supplement, May 1979, which can be found here: http://trumpetguild.org/journal-supplements .

This struck me as what David Monette currently recommends for different pitched instruments.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nonsense Eliminator wrote:
I think you would find that a lot of people do, in fact, use the same mouthpiece (or perhaps the same mouthpiece with a different throat or backbore) on C and B flat trumpets. And E flat trumpets. And all their other B flat and C trumpets. You are never going to make them all blow exactly the same, so at a certain point obsessing over getting exactly the right match is much less efficient than just picking something and learning to play it.

I agree. In determining my mouthpiece choice it's more about the sound I'm after for the situation and not at all about whether it is my C or Bb (or Eb) trumpet I am playing (which is also chosen based on the sound and style of music). I've never found any of my mouthpieces to be particularly better on any one of my different pitched horns than on another.

Cheers,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not questioning that people do it. Just relating my own experience. I don't hold the belief that a 1-1/2C with a 26 throat and a 10 backbore is "the same mouthpiece" as a 1-1/2C with a 23 throat and 117 backbore - they are clearly different, with only their cups and rims in common. (I don't use these configurations, but a well-known professional does, if I recall correctly.)

In my own testing of mouthpieces for different instruments I don't really pay attention to the blow (unless is's at one extreme or the other) and I certainly don't try to make my C have the same blow as my Bb because it never will. I test intonation, tone and response in that order. Why intonation first? Because if I have to force it to play in tune, tone suffers or I wear myself out and tone suffers anyway. If I am forced to use alternate fingerings, timbre is not consistent. I worry about response last because I find that adjusting the gap usually handles it. Most of the problems I've had on C that were "inherent" in the instrument were solved for me by correcting the mouthpiece. As a result, I use no false fingerings, high G, F#, etc. are not sharp, octaves are not compressed and timbre is consistent across the range of the horn.

I stumbled on this method of selecting mouthpieces because I bought a mouthpiece from a friend that plays incredibly well on B flat, but is only passable in C. It got me thinking. I started hunting around and testing various combinations, and I now have a Curry BC top on a Bach 24 backbore that is fabulous on C, but miserable on B flat. For the last week I've been testing my friend's 1-1/2C that was modified by Osmun to a 24/24 for C trumpet: ironically it plays better for me on B flat. I have a GR designed for an LA studio musician that plays wonderfully on B flat; on C it's a complete dog: intonation all over the map and a sound so brittle as to be painful. (No it's not a Bergeron Studio or any lead-type design.)

But, we're all different. Our experiences and playing approaches differ. My own experience tends to align with what Charlier recommended, even before I read it.

-Bruce Lee
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tpt_Guy wrote:
I don't use the same mouthpiece for both B flat and C trumpets. They aren't the same instrument and, regardless that they are both trumpets, have different design considerations.

In my own opinion and experience, using a mouthpiece that plays acceptably on both instruments means it won't play optimally on either one.

Well, to quote from the same ITG supplement:

"The mouthpiece must be the one accompanying the trumpet in the case at purchase or be of the same size, except for the rim, which can vary with the lips and teeth of the individual."

There's your solution: If you buy a Bach trumpet that comes with a Bach 7C in the case, you have to play a Bach C-cup mouthpiece (of whatever size fits your lips and teeth) with the stock throat and backbore.

Because if Charlier wrote it, it's gospel.

...Unless Charlier was writing at a time when mouthpieces were less standardized than they are now, and when he wrote "The mouthpiece must be the one accompanying the trumpet in the case at purchase or be of the same size," he was basically saying, "Use a trumpet mouthpiece in a trumpet, a cornet mouthpiece in a cornet, and a flugelhorn mouthpiece in a flugelhorn."

Or not.
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly! Much like using the same mouthpiece on different Bbs, at least in my experience, no 2 trumpets play exactly alike. One "learns" the mouthpiece, the horn, and playing situation in combination. Granted, I use the same Rim on everything, but I do use the most efficient underpart for the horn, style and performing situation. Another component that might call for a different underpart is which part one is playing, 1st, 2nd, etc. It would follow that one must be a sort of "chameleon" as a musician intrinsically.

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nieuwguyski wrote:

Well, to quote from the same ITG supplement:

"The mouthpiece must be the one accompanying the trumpet in the case at purchase or be of the same size, except for the rim, which can vary with the lips and teeth of the individual."

There's your solution: If you buy a Bach trumpet that comes with a Bach 7C in the case, you have to play a Bach C-cup mouthpiece (of whatever size fits your lips and teeth) with the stock throat and backbore.

Because if Charlier wrote it, it's gospel.

...Unless Charlier was writing at a time when mouthpieces were less standardized than they are now, and when he wrote "The mouthpiece must be the one accompanying the trumpet in the case at purchase or be of the same size," he was basically saying, "Use a trumpet mouthpiece in a trumpet, a cornet mouthpiece in a cornet, and a flugelhorn mouthpiece in a flugelhorn."

I'm sure he was. There were likely no mouthpiece makers the likes of Vincent Bach at that time (I haven't researched it, so don't quote me on it). That said, if you read his statement carefully he does mention three keys of trumpet: F (which at that time was an orchestral low F trumpet), C and B flat.

But the take-away I get from his statement is not an oversimplification of what mouthpiece to use, but an explanation of why:

"The result is that the harmonic resonance is thrown out of equilibrium because of the irregularities caused by disproportional tubing."

In other words, play an mouthpiece that is an acoustical match to your instrument (and you since you are a part of the system).

-Bruce Lee

Last edited by Tpt_Guy on Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most players seem to gather a set of trumpets which play in a similar way. A good friend of mine has really nice trumpets, but they are all quite... tight. He also thinks all my horns are very open and he falls into them.

And we are both right. (gasp! trumpet players agree!)

As we learned to play, we moved towards what worked for us (or our teachers) and learned to play THOSE horns, just like Richard says.

Anyhow, the long and short of it is I sound like me on my gear, but not on his. I use very similar cup/rim mouthpieces, only the throat and backbores change. They make my instruments work well, I think. His Toshi mouthpieces make him sound fantastic and then some.

On a side note: got to play a Monette Prana 3 Bb trumpet yesterday. Even had the right sized Monette mpc in it for me! This friend's comment was that most players can't make it work at all. I just sound like me... (Sorry Dave, I'll not be buying one, just sticking to my Kanstul)

cheers

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: