• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Good performers with average technical skills?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peanuts56 wrote:
plankowner110 wrote:
I saw Herb Alpert perform live last November and he played a two-plus-hour show with flawless precision and inimitable style. Every note was perfectly executed. How many of us will be able to capture the hearts of an audience like he did at 82 years of age? The performance with his talented wife, Lani Hall, was fantastic!

Agree! Saw them a couple of years ago. Herb played nonstop and never stopped to sit. I think he was 80 when we saw him. He played up to high c or d a few times with no problem at all. Lani was equally amazing. She's also gorgeous. They are coming back my way soon but we already had plans so we'll have to miss them. I would go hear them any time!
Herb may not dazzle you with technique but the performance we saw was one of the best I've ever been to.

Agree here, too.

Herb Alpert is a legend.

He created a style and sound that made him the most successful instrumental musician of all time.

I have heard Herb in concert several times; particularly back in the 1960s Tijuana Brass days. He plays what he wants to play and does so with absolute perfection. His intonation, pitch centering, accuracy, purity of tone, and lyrical phrasing style are as good as it gets. He has achieved this ability from years in the recording studio. He plays the trumpet in the manner of a professional vocalist. He is also a consummate showman and entertainer.

Herb Alpert plays what he needs or wants to play. He has never been about "higher, faster, louder". He has said in countless interviews over the years that he is about feeling and finding his own style that would set him apart from everyone else. And he has done that with incredible success. His need for high notes is just about as necessary as The Beatles needing to sing opera.

There are thousands of people who play trumpet, a few of those who get good at it, and then there is the one and only Herb Alpert. IN a class by himself. There are some other players who do some things that Herb doesn't do in the way of "higher, faster or louder", but it simply does not matter. Only other trumpet players would be inclined to "worry" about such things.
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveH,

Now THAT'S a nice post.

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
O00Joe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Simple things done well."

I have always cared more for beauty and singing quality but I don't denounce the importance of good technique! That being said, I'd rather be moved than impressed when it comes to music in general.
Akai MPC Live II
Roland JD-Xi
Casio MT-68
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My feeling is that a player must have sufficient ability in order to have a satisfying pallet of expression.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make sure that in answering the question as to how little technique you need is not an excuse that you just don't have to work that hard. Always do your best. And remember, you may be able, indeed, to get by with minimal technique, but the more you have the more possibilities you have available to you.

I never developed the double high C ability because I thought "higher, faster, louder" was the ultimate accomplishment - didn't particularly ever want to be a lead player - but to better give me a wider range of expression within which to work. Went from limited technique to wider range. Made a difference.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two kinds of performers...

Those who know their abilities and skills (and stay within them). And poor performers.

It doesn't matter what your skill level is, if you attempt to perform at anywhere near the limits of your technique, you'll make mistakes that detract from what you're trying to do.
DWallace
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Botti has played with the Baton Rouge Symphony a couple of times and yes his technique is really high. I agree with Pete that his is nice guy too! After the show when I told him I was a trumpet player he signed the program "keep playing your scales".

Another guy to check out for technique is Al Hirt. Known best for the New Orleans French Quarter scene. Find an old YouTube of him playing "Flight of the Bumblebee" Plenty of technique.
York Super Custom Cornet
Yamaha YTR-6445HS C Trumpet
Zeus Flugelhorn
Yamaha YTR 2320
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This a partial quote from a different thread in 2007:

Fleebat wrote:

I asked Randy Brecker about C.B. over lunch a while back. Why do people rag on him so much, I wondered. Randy laughed: "They're either completely ignorant about him, or they're jealous because he makes a living. Or both. Chis can play any gig you put him on." Randy, of course, subbed gigs back and forth with C.B. back in the day.

Rusty Russell

1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Connstellation 7B-N mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece

www.jazzscales.org

The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: