• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Ways to keep upper register solid when getting tired?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agarnica95

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Ways to keep upper register solid when getting tired? Reply with quote

Hello all,

I play lead in my university's big band and it has come to my attention that maybe I am not as strong as I thought I was. My range is fine, I can typically hit most notes between high C and double C every day, but the second I start getting too tired my usable range cuts off at around a high F. This is troublesome because I want to be able to play with my "complete" range through an entire set. What are some things I can do to help with this problem?

Thanks!
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Ensure you’re playing the right mouthpiece for the job

2) Take your fundamentals up in the extreme upper register.

3) Practice all types of articulations throughout your range.

4) Watch overtraining during practice. Don’t be aftraid to take a light day.

5) Keep playing the things that got you your range.

Best of luck to you,
CJ
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I concur with CJ. Especially on getting some support from the mouthpiece.

There are so many cool things you can do to modify a mouthpiece to get a big sound but with enough support from the shallow cup. Perhaps I'm in the minority here but Ive either made a living or played a ton of fairly good amateur gigs over many years. And having the right equipment is very important for me.

It takes a while to adjust to shallower mouthpieces but they work great. What I like to do customize my piece so that I can play a couple sets of big band lead even without practicing for 3 or more weeks. I dont ever intentionally stay away from the horn so long. However since Im constructing a whole new embouchure this year, Im not practicing on my regular system at all. And yes, I can still blow down a lot of lead even without actually practicing. Of course using my new embouchure does kinda keep my old chops going.

However occasional long vacations have also tested my mouthpiece theory. And its fer sure that even with lots of time off I will still have at least decent lead chops. And here's why this is just good sense,

Because if my mouthpiece allows me decent lead chops even without any conditioning? Then I'm far less likely to end up with stiff, swollen, over-trained chops.

However the player using a mouthpiece too large to make lead playing easy? Is always at risk of swollen stiff chops. An over-trained embouchure is the nemesis of many a trumpet player. Although he usually doesnt know it. Signs of over-trainsd chops are,

Warm up takes too long.
Hard to play soft and accurately.
The lips just feel fat.
Easy stuff is hard.
Hitting "air" on high notes you usually nail well.

As well as other symptoms.

As for mouthpiece recommendations? This is always personal. Changes should be made in graduated depth adjustments. It can literally take five years to slowly work down to a very shallow piece. And on ant shallow cup? I would never use a tight throat. A #23 is my preference. Whereas standard pieces run tight. Like #26 - #28. Pretty good for a standard depth but too shrill for shallower pieces.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ageee with all the above and will add:

Play high notes a LOT but NEVER strain.

This is a must in our practice time and we need to stick to that as much as we can while rehearsing with the band. If we play past when we should and start straining to play, we begin to teach our bodies that we MUST strain. When I see that happening to me I need to take a day or two off to reset.
Flip Oakes Flugel

Harrelson 5mm MP
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Build more strength or become more efficient (or both).

The only way to build more strength is to exercise the chops, which means to increase the stress limit by playing more in the high register. The danger there is suffering an injury so you have to take this as a long term project.

You can get help with efficiency through equipment. It's easier to play the high register if you're playing against more resistance (up to the point of too much resistance). The simplest way to increase resistance is to do so with the mouthpiece. Shallower mouthpieces and smaller drill holes increase resistance. Resistance helps keep your embouchure in place so your muscles don't have to work as hard. "Getting tired" is just another way to describe an inability to keep the embouchure in place due to muscle fatigue.
shakuhachi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to OP:

In no way I can compare to your "only high F when getting too tired"...

...but I can quote a great one - Roger Ingram:

Quote:
I was also lucky that I had that V-cup in my pocket (one of my first versions). I'd pull it out at the end of the night and it saved my ass! Believe me. Ever since then, I've always used my bowled-cup "lead" mouthpiece and my V-cup in a sort of "tag team" manner. The V-cup doesn't really start working for me until I'm a little beat down from playing the bowl. If I'm too "fresh," the V-cup won't work for me...it's just too efficient. But, when it's time to make the switch, it works like a dream (a good dream)

....right equipment will first train and later support a great deal:

....small and shallow Maynard like v-cups will show the way to "heaven" without straining, overusing, muscling, practising ....without any "...ing" - the only exception "loving"!
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shakuhachi wrote:
to OP:

In no way I can compare to your "only high F when getting too tired"...

...but I can quote a great one - Roger Ingram:

Quote:
I was also lucky that I had that V-cup in my pocket (one of my first versions). I'd pull it out at the end of the night and it saved my ass! Believe me. Ever since then, I've always used my bowled-cup "lead" mouthpiece and my V-cup in a sort of "tag team" manner. The V-cup doesn't really start working for me until I'm a little beat down from playing the bowl. If I'm too "fresh," the V-cup won't work for me...it's just too efficient. But, when it's time to make the switch, it works like a dream (a good dream)

....right equipment will first train and later support a great deal:

....small and shallow Maynard like v-cups will show the way to "heaven" without straining, overusing, muscling, practising ....without any "...ing" - the only exception "loving"!

Yes!
Sustained note
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: Something George Vosburgh explained Reply with quote

Maybe something George Vosburgh explained here, on how Adolph Herseth did it - starts at about 13:45
https://vimeo.com/253800020

Giv'at Shmuel
Israel

Trumpet: Schilke B1 (2005)
Mouthpiece: Schilke Soloiste MG1
(Marc Geujon) gold plated
----------------

Keep a sense of humor.
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pass some lead parts to other players. That helps too.

Pete
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't play louder than you have to - it WILL carry and as much as it's fun to play loud up there, it's better to keep enough in the tank to blaze the final couple of numbers (if you must totally exhaust yourself) than to be playing on empty by the end

Be aware of your tuning tendencies - a lot of people go sharp up high when tiring, some go flat... Whichever you are, be aware of it and move the slide to compensate when necessary - if nothing else, you'll strain less and that last bit of endurance will last longer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: