• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Olds Recording update

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Olds Recording update Reply with quote

OK, so I’ve now done 11 gigs with the 1965 Olds Recording.
Here’s my take; not because I’m any authority, just in case someone is considering one of these horns: the “balanced” valve block, offset second valve and third slide trigger took a surprisingly brief amount of time to get accustomed to. I don’t necessarily think those features are significantly “better”, but they work just fine, and may be among the reasons the horn plays as well as it does. I was a bit concerned about whacking myself in the chops due to the valve block placement, but I have not. At least not yet.

For me, the most impressive features are the horn’s slotting and resonance. It’s not at all tight or inflexible, but most of the notes really lock in, especially from G above the staff and higher up to the next G, and the tone color with a commercial mouthpiece is plenty bright, but not at all shrill. Lots of core too.

Overall, it’s currently getting the most play time for me, it’s a da** fine instrument.

Thanks to Trent Austin for another great horn/transaction.

Brad
bear30101

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased a mid-1950s Recording from Rich Ita. A wonderful horn.
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Recordings are good horns.

I had three ... all at the same time. They were the three different iterations of the production history.

I was able to compare them. "A / B / C" them, so-to-speak.

MY preference was the horn from the earliest production. The other two, later horns were "tied", in my comparative testing and "seat-of-the-pants" evaluations.

Sold all three of them. In the end, I couldn't "find my voice" with them. Not that there's anything wrong with them ... they just didn't hack it for me.

I should mention that I play Martin Committees most of the time. However; I've found a few other horns that are their equals, in every parameter ... other than cost. The non-Committees were considerably LESS expensive.

~ r2 ~
erudite horn player

I miss Genghis Khan ....
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Olds Recording update Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
OK, so I’ve now done 11 gigs with the 1965 Olds Recording.
Here’s my take; not because I’m any authority, just in case someone is considering one of these horns: the “balanced” valve block, offset second valve and third slide trigger took a surprisingly brief amount of time to get accustomed to. I don’t necessarily think those features are significantly “better”, but they work just fine, and may be among the reasons the horn plays as well as it does. I was a bit concerned about whacking myself in the chops due to the valve block placement, but I have not. At least not yet.

For me, the most impressive features are the horn’s slotting and resonance. It’s not at all tight or inflexible, but most of the notes really lock in, especially from G above the staff and higher up to the next G, and the tone color with a commercial mouthpiece is plenty bright, but not at all shrill. Lots of core too.

Overall, it’s currently getting the most play time for me, it’s a da** fine instrument.

Thanks to Trent Austin for another great horn/transaction.

Brad

Trent Austin has just recently made me horn happy as well
trumpaholic
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a very early LA Recording, about 1950 immaculate condition. A bit lighter than the later ones, very flexible with a dark core surrounded by a halo of brilliance.........If you want to see pictures of it, email me

merlejenkins@sympatico.ca
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you're liking it, Brad.

I've never played one from that 'late' in the Olds production range. I've always tended to think 'earlier the better' with Olds. Those I've played from the 40s and 50s have all been killer horns.

As far as getting used to the differences, I also don't find adjusting to the offset second an issue, or the different wrap. It's no different than playing picc, cornet, or other horns regularly. They all are a different distance from the valve block to the mouthpiece rim.

The only downside with the Supers and Recordings (today) is the price. They typically sell for prices far above 'rational' even though they're very nice. When they were new, they were quite reasonably priced relative to competing offerings.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
Glad to hear you're liking it, Brad.

I've never played one from that 'late' in the Olds production range. I've always tended to think 'earlier the better' with Olds. Those I've played from the 40s and 50s have all been killer horns.

As far as getting used to the differences, I also don't find adjusting to the offset second an issue, or the different wrap. It's no different than playing picc, cornet, or other horns regularly. They all are a different distance from the valve block to the mouthpiece rim.

The only downside with the Supers and Recordings (today) is the price. They typically sell for prices far above 'rational' even though they're very nice. When they were new, they were quite reasonably priced relative to competing offerings.

Thanks Randy,

I’ve heard the same thing regarding the age of Olds horns, it may very well be true. But since the one I have is the only Recording I’ve played, if the older ones are in fact generally better players they must be really great.

R. Dale Olson disagrees though: http://rouses.net/trumpet/OlsonOldsHistory.html

Who knows? At any rate I’m happy with my ‘65.

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: