• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Value of Courtois trumpets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VintageHorns

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Value of Courtois trumpets Reply with quote

I've noticed a bunch of high quality Courtois trumpets nearly everywhere from the marketplace here to Ebay going for pretty much bargain prices, at the very least compared to retail prices. Are the quality of these instruments really that low? I've known some professionals who swear by these trumpets for they're uniqueness and quality.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is such a wide range of models and the condition they are in - proceed w/caution.
https://yourbrass.com/
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a few ... including the interesting Evo-II.

They do play and sound good. I just didn't "find my voice" with them.
I haven't tracked the values in some time, other than the Evo-II.

~ r2 ~
deplorable horn player

I miss Genghis Khan ....
Bill Dishman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Courtois Reply with quote

There are many Courtois horns that are tremendous.

The Flugelhorns are wonderful and I have a great Eb cornet and a C cornet.
Craftsmanship is exquisite and sound is fantastic. I am sure there are models of lesser quality (student models/vintage models that leave something to be desired but my experience has been good.

Bill Dishman
Gainesville, Florida
(Bach Stradivarius player mostly)
ChopsGone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love 'em. I currently have six Courtois cornets ranging from a very early Arban (1879 - 1880) to a 106/107 pair from near the end of cornet production. And I currently have three Courtois trumpets, a Balanced model, an EVO IV, and a Grand Siecle 216L C/Bb - and the only flaw I can find in any of them is the truly crappy lacquer on the EVO IV. Otherwise, as far as construction quality and playing qualities, they're all exceptionally good instruments.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Courtois Reply with quote

Bill Dishman wrote:

The Flugelhorns are wonderful and I have a great Eb cornet and a C cornet.
Craftsmanship is exquisite and sound is fantastic.

Interesting - their lasting reputation within brass banding circles (atleast in the UK) is for unparalleled poor build quality... they played quite nicely, not worldbeaters but good nonetheless... but they fell to pieces.

The Flugel's generally seem to play quite nicely, but then you'll find some that are simply terrible (a 159R belonging to a previous band of mine particular sticks in the mind - it was truly AWFUL).

On top of that, the valve action is consistently one of the absolute worst I've experienced on any pro level instruments (my experience is only with the sop, which is a good instrument otherwise, and the Bb cornet and flugel).

I can't think of any brand I'd be more wary of buying sight-unseen than a Courtois... but then, I guess there being people out there that love them just shows how personal this all is.
brianj
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Value of Courtois trumpets Reply with quote

VintageHorns wrote:
I've noticed a bunch of high quality Courtois trumpets nearly everywhere from the marketplace here to Ebay going for pretty much bargain prices, at the very least compared to retail prices. Are the quality of these instruments really that low? I've known some professionals who swear by these trumpets for they're uniqueness and quality.

Hi

Disclaimer here, I’ve only played 6 Courtois instruments but my thoughts on them were:
Evo 1 C trumpet - good scale, very powerful sound. Fine hooter.
Evo 4 Bb trumpet - Excellent hooter. Even scale, great sound.
155R flugel - dark sound, great intonation. Excellent hooter
Chambers II XXLR cornet - had been replated. Scary bright, like an oxy acetylene torch - maybe because of the bell work/replating etc.
Short model picc - OK. Didn’t move me or offend me.
Eb sop - OK. Could make it work.

Like others will tell you, best to try before you buy. But unless you pick up any make for such a reasonable price that you can flip it for what you paid for it, try before you buy is always the best advice.

All the best

Brian jones
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: