• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpiece Muster!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theslawdawg wrote:
Three decades of playing...I’ve never had more then ten. I guess I have some shopping to do.

My friend, you are WAAAAAAAAY behind....
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
theslawdawg wrote:
Three decades of playing...I’ve never had more then ten. I guess I have some shopping to do.

My friend, you are WAAAAAAAAY behind....

Yep! But +1 for mouthpieces today. Just got a Monette Prana B6LDS1 (Used) in the mail.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Mouthpiece Muster! Reply with quote

theslawdawg wrote:
Trumpet Players,

For fun...what is your mouthpiece count as of right now in your house, and if you had to throw them all out except for one, which one would you keep?

In all 28, 12 of them cornet mpc:s. Safari ended. Began when I, having played for ever on Bach 1 1/4 multipurpose, got the silly idea a new mouthpiece would enhance my playing. They didn´t. What fixed it some 20 years later ( )was lessons.
So I would keep the two Bachs (no three, also one M:t Vernon 1 1/2 C) for sentimental reasons) and melt down the rest except for my Wick Ultra and my finally acquired and beloved Stork.
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
y-o-y
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current count is 16. For a long, long time I had just 2, one of which I used exclusively - Stork Vacchiano 3c.

If I had to choose just one today, it would be the Curry 3c.
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Mouthpiece Muster! Reply with quote

Seymor B Fudd wrote:
theslawdawg wrote:
Trumpet Players,

For fun...what is your mouthpiece count as of right now in your house, and if you had to throw them all out except for one, which one would you keep?

In all 28, 12 of them cornet mpc:s. Safari ended. Began when I, having played for ever on Bach 1 1/4 multipurpose, got the silly idea a new mouthpiece would enhance my playing. They didn´t. What fixed it some 20 years later ( )was lessons.
So I would keep the two Bachs (no three, also one M:t Vernon 1 1/2 C) for sentimental reasons) and melt down the rest except for my Wick Ultra and my finally acquired and beloved Stork.

That's more than one.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Mouthpiece Muster! Reply with quote

theslawdawg wrote:
Seymor B Fudd wrote:
theslawdawg wrote:
Trumpet Players,

That's more than one.

Sure but I play trumpet and cornet. Lead and brass band - quite incompatible businesses´. If you insist: One Wick Ultra, the one for cornet (I have an Ultra for the trumpet) but with an adapter. But then I would have to practice all day long, get a divorce, sell my car.....stop posting here ....you get it?!
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

25. Laskey 50C. the only one that sounds good with all my horns.
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Mouthpiece Muster! Reply with quote

Seymor B Fudd wrote:

Sure but I play trumpet and cornet. Lead and brass band - quite incompatible businesses´. If you insist: One Wick Ultra, the one for cornet (I have an Ultra for the trumpet) but with an adapter. But then I would have to practice all day long, get a divorce, sell my car.....stop posting here ....you get it?!

Haha!
21trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Counting all my mouthpieces (trumpet & flugelhorn) I have right around 18. I just purchased a almost new Monette Resonance B4S-S2 Classic to try against my 20 year old classic B4S and if I could only keep one it would be the new B4S-S2.
As many have said previously I would use a different mouthpiece on my other horns but since getting my Monette LT-Bb, Dave’s mouthpiece works best with that horn. For my flugelhorn I would stay with my HT-3FLD.
Yamaha YCR2330 Cornet
Yamaha Custom Piccolo
Monette B4S S2 Mouthpiece
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

21trumpet wrote:
Counting all my mouthpieces (trumpet & flugelhorn) I have right around 18. I just purchased a almost new Monette Resonance B4S-S2 Classic to try against my 20 year old classic B4S and if I could only keep one it would be the new B4S-S2.
As many have said previously I would use a different mouthpiece on my other horns but since getting my Monette LT-Bb, Dave’s mouthpiece works best with that horn. For my flugelhorn I would stay with my HT-3FLD.

I just got my first Monette yesterday, and I REALLY like it. I think I’m in trouble. What’s the difference between the Resonance and Prana?
21trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theslawdawg wrote:
21trumpet wrote:

I just got my first Monette yesterday, and I REALLY like it. I think I’m in trouble. What’s the difference between the Resonance and Prana?

The Prana mouthpieces have larger throats and giant backbores. I find that for me I prefer the smaller throats and tighter backbores on the classic pieces. But I have never tried a normal Prana mouthpiece, mine were for my Ajna and P3 trumpets (Sold both of those horns) and the backbores on those mouthpieces were unplayable for me. To me I find I do not have to work as hard on the classic mouthpieces. I have tried many mouthpieces over the last couple of years but I always end up going back to the Monette piece. B4S size works best for me.
BTW, the Resonance mouthpieces are Dave’s newest design and they come in both Classic and Prana types. Check out Monette’s web store here.
www.monette.net/resonance
Yamaha YCR2330 Cornet
Yamaha Custom Piccolo
Monette B4S S2 Mouthpiece
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have:
Legends MF 3
Purviance 5*K4
Purviance 4*K4
Purviance 4*D4
Purviance 6C3
Carol 3C
Patrick5B
Conn 6
Bach 3B
Bach 7C
Horn Trader 3 Jazz
Schilke 11+
Schilke 13
Schilke 11D
Schilke 11A
Schilke 12
Bush M2
Bush W2
Curry 5B

Cornet
Jupiter 7C
Bach 10.5C

French Horn
Moosewood BV
Blessing
Farkas Model

If anyone wants to add to their arsenal, I'll sell any or all of them. Message me.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

21trumpet wrote:
theslawdawg wrote:
21trumpet wrote:

The Prana mouthpieces have larger throats and giant backbores. I find that for me I prefer the smaller throats and tighter backbores on the classic pieces. But I have never tried a normal Prana mouthpiece, mine were for my Ajna and P3 trumpets (Sold both of those horns) and the backbores on those mouthpieces were unplayable for me. To me I find I do not have to work as hard on the classic mouthpieces. I have tried many mouthpieces over the last couple of years but I always end up going back to the Monette piece. B4S size works best for me.
BTW, the Resonance mouthpieces are Dave’s newest design and they come in both Classic and Prana types. Check out Monette’s web store here.
www.monette.net/resonance

Thank you for your thoughts. I’m getting ready to purchase a (used) Prana B2S3 just because. I love the larger throat and backbones, so I’m excited to try out the bigger cup.
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Monette B6LDS1 that I just bought (used) has been attached to my lip since I took it out of the box. I thought this overpriced MP would be up for sale but I have been completely amazed with it..........for now.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current trumpet mouthpiece count is 14, along with two cornet and three flugel mouthpieces.

All I use in my trumpet currently are the Warburton 4M and 4MD, both with the 7* BACKBORE. Would be hard to decide betweeen the two, though I use the 4M more often.

In my life I've used 25 different pieces, but gave some to my students and others were ones I borrowed for a time and later returned. 9 of the 14 remaining are pretty much unusable as my then-business partner's bratty kid poured salt in the desk drawer where I had them stored and the rims are all pitted now. They can only function as paperweights.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitvalve wrote:
Current trumpet mouthpiece count is 14, along with two cornet and three flugel mouthpieces.

All I use in my trumpet currently are the Warburton 4M and 4MD, both with the 7* BACKBORE. Would be hard to decide betweeen the two, though I use the 4M more often.

In my life I've used 25 different pieces, but gave some to my students and others were ones I borrowed for a time and later returned. 9 of the 14 remaining are pretty much unusable as my then-business partner's bratty kid poured salt in the desk drawer where I had them stored and the rims are all pitted now. They can only function as paperweights.

I have never tried a Warburton. I see them for sale all the time.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theslawdawg wrote:

No, just maintain your position and consider yourself blessed!
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:
theslawdawg wrote:

No, just maintain your position and consider yourself blessed!

A bach 1 1/2 C was what my trumpet teacher made me play growing up, even for lead! I would occasionally sneak a 13A4A but my band teacher would rat me out. Those were my two mouthpieces until my divorce when I could start buying whatever I wanted with my money.

Last edited by theslawdawg on Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theslawdawg wrote:
...Those were my two mouthpieces until my divorce when I could start buying whatever I wanted with my money.

That is hilarious!
BobD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have 9, one of which is a Curry 3C. . I have a Yamaha 14B4 that I really like but so many people are choosing the Curry 3C. that I may have to give it another serious try.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: