• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Rotary Trumpets in Orchestras

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheBrassBandMajor
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Rotary Trumpets in Orchestras Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I wish to know what the current leading brand of rotaries are in use in orchestras in the US and Germany? I believe US orchestras mainly between Weimanns and Schagerls. But Germany still strong with the Schagerls? I asked Gabor Tarkovi in 2015 of the uses of rotary trumpet in Berlin, he said he used a Schagerl while his colleagues varied between Lechner (hmm, I thought that was the Viennese ones?) and Monke (Oh, good to hear that some of the Monkes are still in use).

Anyone here in a leading US orchestra?
A.Windisch Silber-Deluxe, Dresden
Couesnon 'Triebert Moderne' piccolo
Conn 'Connstellation' 28A
SO many more trumpets.....
VintageHorns

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a master class from the Colorado Symphony where they said for their rotaries they played Schagerls, they said so on the 46: 25 ish mark and played them a bit after that. The link's down below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN7qcQW2WOE&t=2283s
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Schagerls are popular. So are Weimann, I think. Definitely, Monkes are still the workhorse for many people. In Europe you probably will see just about everything. In fact, I imagine some Europeans don't think very highly of the tonal colors produced by Schagerl.
tianyuzx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think nowadays in Germany and other main european orchestras, Dowids, Ricco Kühn, Schagerl, Lechner and also Thein are the most common brands, of course still many old Monke are in very well condition, so you can still see those legend horns on active service.

I can see Weimann has very good reputation in US, but it is not as popular in Europe, maybe because of their marketing strategy.
O00Joe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I borrowed a Dowids BZ C trumpet in Germany for several orchestra concerts and it's definitely my favorite trumpet ever. Does anyone know what other make and models are comparable? Just curious, I'm going to get a Dowids C BZ GL 60 regardless.

I also played a Monke C rotary (not sure of specifics) on a tour and some concerts back home but found it to be more difficult to play overall.
Akai MPC Live II
Roland JD-Xi
Casio MT-68

Last edited by O00Joe on Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick tour of more recent videos of European orchestras will show the actual truth of the matter: there is no one leading band.

Schagerl, Lechner and Thein are all very popular and one can see them all in the one section, blending with no issue.
tianyuzx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O00Joe wrote:
I borrowed a Dowids BZ C trumpet in Germany for several orchestra concerts and it's definitely my favorite trumpet ever. Does anyone know what other make and models are comparable? Just curious, I'm going to get a Dowids C BZ GL 60 regardless.

I also played a Monke C rotary (not sure of specifics) on a tour and some concerts back home but found it to be more difficult to play overall.

I ll say Ricco kühn is at the same level, although they are in different styles, I think both very nice brand.
O00Joe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I should have phrased that differently. I meant what the Dowids C BZ compares to stylistically.

For example, is it more like a Schagerl Berlin or Wien? Or, compared to a Monke it definitely seemed "lighter".
Akai MPC Live II
Roland JD-Xi
Casio MT-68
deleted_user_da44b37

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Berlin Philarmonic they play Schagerl, Lechner
, Kühn, Thein and Monke. And it works. These are the brands used in Berlin, although there is a relativly new maker, Peter Oberrauch, who builds great instruments. Some players in Berlin use them. Kühn is more common in the eastern Part of Germany, Dowids and Oberrauch more common in the south, for example in the bavarian radio orchestra.
tianyuzx

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O00Joe wrote:
Ah, I should have phrased that differently. I meant what the Dowids C BZ compares to stylistically.

For example, is it more like a Schagerl Berlin or Wien? Or, compared to a Monke it definitely seemed "lighter".

In terms of playability I feel that Dowids most common model like GL60 and GL72 are quite light, more like Schagerl Wien, relatively low resistance horn, but in terms of sound it is rounder, softer and darker than those Wiener style instrument. Some discribes the sound as "elegant, classical", which IMO is quite true.
tianyuzx

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetinberlin wrote:
In the Berlin Philarmonic they play Schagerl, Lechner
, Kühn, Thein and Monke. And it works. These are the brands used in Berlin, although there is a relativly new maker, Peter Oberrauch, who builds great instruments. Some players in Berlin use them. Kühn is more common in the eastern Part of Germany, Dowids and Oberrauch more common in the south, for example in the bavarian radio orchestra.

Yeh, quite interesting. So what do you think about the difference between Kühn and Dowids, and also other brands?
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any dealers in the states where one could try out these rotary horns? NAMM is great but they don't always have a wide selection of horns outside of B&S when they display their horns. ITG, if you can attend, had a number of horns to try, when it was in L.A. ACB and Chuck Levin's are the only two other places I've found to carry rotary horns, unfortunately I don't live anywhere close to either.

What are your impressions on the Yamaha ytr-936 Bb horn? I've read mixed reviews from the same people stating its not a great horn and then comment on another post that it is a solid horn.

Has anyone had the chance to play a Schagerl Salzburg Bb rotary trumpet from ACB?

Many Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: