• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thomasjet123

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: New trumpet Reply with quote

Hi all

I am needing some help in deciding a new trumpet that I can use as I have little experience in good, quality trumpets. Here's some background information about me and my situation that could help your answers.

I'm a 17 year old cornet player and have been playing for 12 years. I have passed my grade 8 (with merit) and am working on my ATCL diploma. I play at county level in the Derbyshire city and county youth wind band. I also play in many bands in and out of school including a 1st section brass band, wind bands and jazz bands. Currently I have a standard cornet (Yamaha YCR4330GII) and a really bad trumpet that we purchase off a friend of a friend for less than £100 (probably a Chinese import as it doesn't even have a model or make).

I do intend on continuing with my playing throughout my life and for me to improve I will need to upgrade both instruments. The first instrument I would need to upgrade is my trumpet, however I don't know which brand or model would be best for my situation. I would like to use this instrument in jazz bands and wind bands and hopefully be able to use this for the rest of my life (so it needs to be reliable). The budget for this instrument in no more than £2000.

Please can you all suggest some good and reliable trumpets that I could try and consider purchasing.

Thank you for any help
Thomas
cyber_shake
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Thomas,

Glad to hear of your progress and success! Keep it up and enjoy music for your life.

Have you discussed your situation and desire to upgrade with your private trumpet instructor? That would be a great starting point + going to where you can play a variety of makes/models. There are many good options, but most stick with the most common, i.e. Bach and Yamaha. Nothing wrong with that ... but you may something that ‘fits’ you better. Great to take your trumpet teacher with you, so you can also hear each horn besides when you are playing. That way you will hear different characteristics of each horn. If both feel equal, that sound check could be the factor to make your choice.

If your teacher isn’t available, perhaps a mate from your group can help with the playing test?

Practice + take private lessons + practice + record yourself and listen to what you do best and what needs more improvement + practice!

I look forward to hearing how this goes and what you select!

Schagerl LU5A
DaCarbo Unica
Adams A4 LT-S
Adams F1
Schagerl PT-200S
Bill Blackwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyber_shake wrote:
... Have you discussed your situation and desire to upgrade with your private trumpet instructor? ...!

+1

Wild Thing Bb - Copper
Wild Thing Flugelhorn - Copper
Wild Thing Short-Model Cornet - Copper

The future ain't what it used to be. ...
- Yogi Berra
thomasjet123

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, I'm not planning on buying a new trumpet for another couple of months but I will keep you updated and tell you which trumpet I decide.

Thomas
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Thomas,

I suggest a good all-around trumpet. There are many to choose from. I went on a shopping safari a few years ago and was most impressed by these:

Yamaha Xeno 8335II (std leadpipe, yellow brass bell)
XO Brass 1602s
Bach 180-37.

Since then, I've also heard from Trent Austin here on TH that Adams has redesigned their A2 model. If I were in the market, I'd put this on my list too. Play-test others as the opportunities present themselves, but I think you should try these if you can.

I suggest you try different instruments at different price points before settling on a budget. You might think £2000 is the best cutoff, but after trying a bunch of horns you might decide on something lower or higher than that, even if it means you have to save up your money longer. This would also help you identify instruments to watch out for in the used market.

Good luck, and have fun!
Piccolo Stomvi
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstdenis wrote:
Hi Thomas,

I suggest a good all-around trumpet. There are many to choose from. I went on a shopping safari a few years ago and was most impressed by these:

Yamaha Xeno 8335II (std leadpipe, yellow brass bell)
XO Brass 1602s
Bach 180-37.

Since then, I've also heard from Trent Austin here on TH that Adams has redesigned their A2 model. If I were in the market, I'd put this on my list too. Play-test others as the opportunities present themselves, but I think you should try these if you can.

I suggest you try different instruments at different price points before settling on a budget. You might think £2000 is the best cutoff, but after trying a bunch of horns you might decide on something lower or higher than that, even if it means you have to save up your money longer. This would also help you identify instruments to watch out for in the used market.

Good luck, and have fun!

I concur with anything Adams on it. I bought an A4 from Trent and it’s soooooooooo nice.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st of all, talk with your private teacher(s).. they will have an idea of how you're doing and suggestions that should suit you - it is still a bit of a guessing game - searching for the best match.

With that said, my suggestion to young players (and you're still young age and trumpet age) is to go with a reputable, established brands and models... Then as you grow and begin to focus your skills and musical output, you will refine your requirements from your instrument.

Bach 19037 or 18037. the 19037 is the Anniversary Model and has a couple small modifications that are fantastic. A few more bucks, but well worth it. Basically, as someone else said, a 18037 on steroids.

Or a Yamaha Zeno, Sonare - very similar to the Bach 37.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: