• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Denis Wick American Classic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alcato

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:28 am    Post subject: Denis Wick American Classic Reply with quote

Hello,

Someone who has tried the Denis Wick American Classic series of nozzles, specifically the DW 1.5C or 1-1 / 2CH and could clarify me a bit like its sound, if it's as bright as Bach 1-1 / 2c, projection, etc. In short, as they are compared to the Bach nozzles.

Thank you.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Denis Wick American Classic Reply with quote

Alcato wrote:
Hello,

Someone who has tried the Denis Wick American Classic series of nozzles, specifically the DW 1.5C or 1-1 / 2CH and could clarify me a bit like its sound, if it's as bright as Bach 1-1 / 2c, projection, etc. In short, as they are compared to the Bach nozzles.

Thank you.

Rather short testing period but anyhow: I found the rim far more comfy than the Bach rim; describing the sound is a tricky business - you gotta find concepts understandable to many:
1)no not that bright as the Bachs
2)with my chops more focused, more circumscribed, smoother, rounder.
3)if the Bach sizzles the Wick has more "luster" meaning may sound bright but not "flamboyant". But perfectly playable in a big band, parts 4/3/2.
Personally I find the Wick a better mouthpiece - but thatīs from my viewpoint as a combined bigband / brassband player. Plus my musical neighbourhood is the European scene. May exist differences in taste over here and over there
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Alcato

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay
Thank you very much, to see if someone can contribute something more. By the way, the edge of the Denis Wick is wider than Bach's.

I'm wondering whether to buy the Denis Wick MM2c or Denis Wich 1.5c American Classic?.
And in terms of diameter, is it between DW American Classic and Bach?

Greetings.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alcato wrote:
okay
Thank you very much, to see if someone can contribute something more. By the way, the edge of the Denis Wick is wider than Bach's.

I'm wondering whether to buy the Denis Wick MM2c or Denis Wich 1.5c American Classic?.
And in terms of diameter, is it between DW American Classic and Bach?

Greetings.

As far as I remember my Bach 1 1/4 is (=1,25) is 17,09 mm; the Wick Classic 1,5 is 16,75 and the MMC2C is 17,00. Wider cups calls for more s powerful chops, according to my old Bach leaflet. Also the MMC are recommended for classical/symphonical work. Here is their comparison chart:
https://www.deniswick.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Denis-Wick-Products-Mouthpiece-Mute-Comparison-Chart.pdf

Hereīs another chart (Bach): https://www.dillonmusic.com/brass/trumpets/mouthpieces/?mode=grid&limit=24&sort=popular&max=300&min=0&sort=popular&brand=391822

Iīm not at all familiar with the MMC line - reading from the descriptions I guess the Classic series should be more all-round.
Depends on what type of music youīre in!
Personally Iīm very sensitive to rims, and the more rounded rims on the Wicks are good for my lips.
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Alcato

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Seymor B Fudd,

I had already seen the comparative tables, but they are orientative measures, that's why my question of whether you found the diameter of the Denis Wick American Classic 1-1 / 2c (16.75mm) approximated that of the Bach 1-1 / 2c?

To give an example, I have a Denis Wick Classic 1.5c (17.00mm) which in theory is equivalent to Bach 1-1 / 2c (according to the comparative table of Denis Wick) and is larger, like Bach 1-1 / 4c.

Regarding throat 3.80, is it hard to get used to it ?, does it require much more effort or is it well compensated?
The edge is a little wider than Bach's, right?

Thank you and sorry for so much question .....
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alcato wrote:
Thanks Seymor B Fudd,

I had already seen the comparative tables, but they are orientative measures, that's why my question of whether you found the diameter of the Denis Wick American Classic 1-1 / 2c (16.75mm) approximated that of the Bach 1-1 / 2c?

To give an example, I have a Denis Wick Classic 1.5c (17.00mm) which in theory is equivalent to Bach 1-1 / 2c (according to the comparative table of Denis Wick) and is larger, like Bach 1-1 / 4c.

Regarding throat 3.80, is it hard to get used to it ?, does it require much more effort or is it well compensated?
The edge is a little wider than Bach's, right?

Thank you and sorry for so much question .....

Welcome to the mpc jungle! Bach used to be notorious for inconsistency - and my Bachs are from the 1970 era.
However according to Wick tables the Classic 1,5C has a diameter of 16,75. So you are wrong about that. Unless you have a 1,5CH....This one is slightly larger than the 1,5C. The Wick 1,25C is 17,00 mm which means the diameter equals the Bach 1 1/4 C. As is the Wick 1,5CH.....
3,80 perfect for me. More or less resistant? Honestly I donīt know - even if I suspect I have a certain inclination for resistance. However I have played Wicks with larger bore sucking my guts out.
When I look inside my two old Bachs, 1 1/4C and 1 1/2 C I find the latter to have another cup shape, more "V-ish". Also it is a M:t Vernon version, older one that is to say. The diameters are the same. Maybe maybe the latter has a trifle wider rim? I found the 1 1/2 c beneficial when I played the sopranocornet, great sound, easier way up than the 1 1/4.
If you mean rim by writing "edge" I donīt agree, I found the Wick rim more rounded and a trifle smaller. But thatīs from my viewpoint.

But: This is so personal - we can go on stressing mm, cups bores, whatever but it always boils down to the individual feeling. I searched and I found my Holy Grail(s) but after some 46 years.....
Why so long? Took me 44 years to direct my feet to a teacher
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:

Last edited by Seymor B Fudd on Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Alcato

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the truth is that this mouthpiecesis a world and everyone appreciates a different thing ....

When I mentioned that I have the Denis Wick Classic 1.5C, I was referring to the normal Denis Wick mouthpiece, not American Classic Style, which is 17.00mm and if it is bigger than my Bach Corp. and my Bach of the time current, it's like 1-1 / 4C or higher ... that's why I was asking you if it's the Denis Wick American Classic 1-1 / 2C (16.75mm) diameter is more or less the same as Bach's 1-1 / 2 C.

Regarding the edge, I was referring to whether the Denis Wick American Classic nozzle is wider than Bach's.

Is the DW American Classic sound much darker than Bach's, or is it more full-bodied, round, more harmonic but bright at the same time?

Sorry if you do not understand me well, I am using a translator.

Thanks again and greetings.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alcato wrote:
Yes, the truth is that this mouthpiecesis a world and everyone appreciates a different thing ....

When I mentioned that I have the Denis Wick Classic 1.5C, I was referring to the normal Denis Wick mouthpiece, not American Classic Style, which is 17.00mm and if it is bigger than my Bach Corp. and my Bach of the time current, it's like 1-1 / 4C or higher ... that's why I was asking you if it's the Denis Wick American Classic 1-1 / 2C (16.75mm) diameter is more or less the same as Bach's 1-1 / 2 C.

Regarding the edge, I was referring to whether the Denis Wick American Classic nozzle is wider than Bach's.

Is the DW American Classic sound much darker than Bach's, or is it more full-bodied, round, more harmonic but bright at the same time?

Sorry if you do not understand me well, I am using a translator.

Thanks again and greetings.

Slightly dizzy I find my way through this jungle, with my Bachete concluding that yes, the Wick classic 1 1/2 C has the same diameter as (my old)Bach 1 1/2 C; I suspect there are some differences with ref. to cups, bore, rim. As I said in my first post I do believe the Wick is "more full-bodied, round......." - but not that "flamboyantly bright" . I wouldnīt use the concept "harmonic" though - any mouthpiece might be played disharmonically or the reverse. I prefer the sound of the Wick - you may not.
However I suspect I can make just any mouthpiece sound bright, were I in that mood...
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Alcato

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay
If it happens to me a little the same, a little dizzy,

In the end I think I'm going to choose the Denis Wick American Classic 1-1 / 2C if it matches approximately the diameter of Bach 1-1 / 2C. I think I have an idea of how it might sound.

I have seen by Youtuve some video of trumpeters with the Denis Wick American Classic, but it is with the 3C:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcM_Jq2V4fs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpRu230i7Wk

Thanks and regards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: