• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach vs Yamaha vs Monette

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Bach vs. Yamaha vs. Monette Reply with quote

Listen to what everyone says here and sort out the bull. The gentleman that is a retired Air Force musician endorses Bach. They make magnificent horns. I never found one for me. Doesn't mean they aren't just great. The same with Yamaha. About 4 of the principle trumpets with major U.S. orchestras are Yamaha guys now, so that has some weight. You are lucky to be alive in an age where you can get something all around or specialized to play on. You can spend as much time, (have fun doing it) trying horns until you find one that fits the bill. The Monette is out of price range unless one wins the lottery. But, ask Wynton if they work, Enjoy your search. What you find will be the best for you.
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently play a Bach 72 but did not care for the Bach 37. I have tried several Yamaha and several others and did not care for them. I did like the Shires I tried, but still preferred the Bach 72, Bach Artisan, and Bach 43 over them. What I really love are the vintage H.N. White King Silver Sonic and Silver flair horns.
Mes90265

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bach
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All lightweights because I can throw them farther...and harder.
Geodude
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it was Ted Williams who said something along the lines of "it ain't the arrow its the Indian.." The horn is only one part of a complicated puzzle.

Phil Smith sounds great on his Bach, Jens Lindeman sounds great on his Yamaha, Doc Severinsen sounds great on his Shires, Wynton Marsalis sounds great on his Monette. Turn Jim Becker loose in the Home Depot plumbing aisle and those guys would probably sound good on whatever he assembled. You need to figure out which specific instrument plays the way you want and makes you sound your best.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused by blbaumgarn's poke at me.. I did not rant against all things anti Bach. I might have been a bit quick and snarky with my short statement ut the OP did leave the door wide open for comments -> no background, no frame of reference, and wasn't even sure whether we were talking about trumpets or mouthieces. I haven't seen the OP show up again either...?

Yes, I am a Bach Endosing Artist, but that came to me after many years of performing and finding by comparison that I prefer Bach's, for me they stand up against and out perform many others.

To clear up any doubt, of the 3 mentioned I prefer Bach trumpets (not mouthpoieces)..

Bach- tone, how it stays together in the room/hall, how I sound playing a Bach (especially on recordings), flexibility and playability. I highly encourage you to try a new 19037.

Yamaha - I have played several models over many years - just never got comfortable with the sound.. feedback on stage, in halls, and on recordings. The proof in the pudding for me was that each time I swapped from a Yamaha to a Bach, I always received unpromted compliments from my colleagues

Monettes - play wonderfully, BUT sound so unique that they often don't blend with others and aren't as flexible from one genre to another. Wynton is awesome on his, but he doesn't play in a trumpet section so can sound any old way he likes-plus I'm sure he sounds fantastic on anything he picks up. Big bucks too!

Blackburn - the best trumpet I've ever played, expensive. The one I owned was big and legit... unwieldly for what I moslty perform.

If we're talking mouthpieces, well then that's another story.

I'm anxious to read something from the OP...
Retired Air Force Bandsman
trumpet_cop
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Bach vs. Yamaha vs. Monette Reply with quote

blbaumgarn wrote:
The same with Yamaha. About 4 of the principle trumpets with major U.S. orchestras are Yamaha guys now, so that has some weight.

Hmm....

Chris Martin - NY
David Bilger - Philly
Bob Sullivan - Cinci
Tom Rolfs - Boston
Mark Inouye - SFS
Tom Hooten - LA
Hunter Eberly - Detroit
Ryan Anthony - Dallas
Mark Hughes - Houston
Micah Wilkinson - Pittsburgh
William Gerlach - National Symphony
Paul Merkelo - Montreal

These are just the ones actually listed on the website as being "yamaha guys" as opposed to people who use them all the time but are not, or not yet, Yamaha artists. Seems to me there's a lot more than four. Also these are only the principals: I left out MANY others who play in major orchestras. I love my Bach, but I would be outright lying to OP if I didn't covet Yamaha trumpets each time I play one. They let the player be their own person because you don't have to worry about typical flukes that a Bach has.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
I'm anxious to read something from the OP...

Here is a link to the OP’s introductory post.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theslawdawg wrote:
chuck in ny wrote:
a trumpet is the darndest thing. if you went to a table filled with yamahas you would absolutely love one or two and actively dislike most of the rest.
multiply that by about 20 worthy brands.
it's a lot like falling in love and no you don't find your true love just anywhere. it takes time and effort.

Now I’m depressed about all my true loves lost as well as my trumpets.

fear not. sexbots are right around the corner.
swinks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Bach vs Yamaha vs Monette Reply with quote

Thanks for all of your feedback. I see that everyone generally has an open mindset regarding trumpets. My goal here was to bust myth that I have heard for so many years. I have had friends who have a Monette and joined a group or subbed that the other players would"poo, poo" the Monette and ask them to bring a Bach or Yamaha or anything that was not a Monette to the gig.

I can see that most of you that have responded are pretty open minded about this and don't really put too much emphasis on the trumpet but the person playing it and how they sound.

I live near Portland, Oregon which is where Monettes are made and I play with a lot of people who have them so it really is not an issue here. I also play with a lot of people who do not have a Monette and most of the time we don't even talk about the trumpet. We just get together and play music. I have spent a good amount of time comparing trumpets, usually when I am buying I compare, so I could make an educated decision about which horns I want to have and the Monette trumpets have won my vote every time. Bachs are a hit and miss on how well they play but I like the way the Bb 37 and C 229 sound. Yamahas are very easy to play but I don't like that the sound is lacking something. Some "beef" for lack of a better term. The Monettes always play extremely well and have the sound I desire. They cost a lot but I have found success in buying used. I have a Monette C trumpet and hope to some day have a Bb too.

Thanks for entertaining my question and giving good feedback.
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck in ny wrote:
theslawdawg wrote:
chuck in ny wrote:
a trumpet is the darndest thing. if you went to a table filled with yamahas you would absolutely love one or two and actively dislike most of the rest.
multiply that by about 20 worthy brands.
it's a lot like falling in love and no you don't find your true love just anywhere. it takes time and effort.

Now I’m depressed about all my true loves lost as well as my trumpets.

fear not. sexbots are right around the corner.

cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Bach vs Yamaha vs Monette Reply with quote

swinks wrote:
I have had friends who have a Monette and joined a group or subbed that the other players would"poo, poo" the Monette and ask them to bring a Bach or Yamaha or anything that was not a Monette to the gig.

I've seen one instance where an ensemble player was asked to swap his Monette for another horn. I've also known a Monette player who I thought didn't blend well, but some years later he blended fine and played/sounded great. Don't know if he changed his gear, changed his approach, or just grew into it.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
swinks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Bach vs Yamaha vs Monette Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
swinks wrote:
I have had friends who have a Monette and joined a group or subbed that the other players would"poo, poo" the Monette and ask them to bring a Bach or Yamaha or anything that was not a Monette to the gig.

I've seen one instance where an ensemble player was asked to swap his Monette for another horn. I've also known a Monette player who I thought didn't blend well, but some years later he blended fine and played/sounded great. Don't know if he changed his gear, changed his approach, or just grew into it.

That's the ticket. We all need to blend no matter what we play.
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Bach vs Yamaha vs Monette Reply with quote

swinks wrote:
cheiden wrote:
swinks wrote:

That's the ticket. We all need to blend no matter what we play.

Yep.
21trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oaky time to chime in on this since I have played Monette trumpets for about the last 12 years. The last couple of years I have been searching for a better sound to mix with all the other guys I play in groups with including jazz and concert bands, orchestras are just not for me, and I now own a couple different horns other then Monettes as you can see in my signature. My newest Monette is as light weight as many other conventional trumpets and I have finally found the sound I have been looking for, not just to blend in but to get a sound that I like. The reason I play Monette trumpets is because I just find them the easiest for me to play. Trumpet is a hard enough instrument to play and I myself need as much help as possible to make the job easier.
I do agree that when I listen to many other trumpets players on YouTube that play a variety of different brands of trumpets and most of the higher level pro players can make them sound great. For me, a non pro that plays for fun, but I still practice every day to try and improve, I will keep playing the horn that makes the job as easy as possible and that is my Monette.
Wild Thing Flugelhorn - Copper - Raw
Yamaha YCR2330 Cornet
Yamaha Custom Piccolo
Monette B4S S2 Mouthpiece
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Schilke that I just love playing. Does not mean anyone else would like it. I have never found a Bach I liked, but that does not mean Bachs are not great horns. I played a Yamaha for years and loved the sound I could produce with it, but the day I picked up and played the Schilke in a store, the Yamaha faded into the background. I find all the opinions on horns are great to hear and read because they help people find starting places in their searches for horns. There are just so many out there. In the end, I think you have to play a lot of them, and your tastes may change over time. It is great fun to try other horns at times if you feel something lacking in the one you play or just want to experiment. It can get expensive, though, and unfortunately sometimes the only way to try is buy. (I have done that too both good and bad.)
Good luck sorting it out and thanks for getting people to compare the horns.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgaiii wrote:
I have a Schilke that I just love playing. Does not mean anyone else would like it. I have never found a Bach I liked, but that does not mean Bachs are not great horns. I played a Yamaha for years and loved the sound I could produce with it, but the day I picked up and played the Schilke in a store, the Yamaha faded into the background. I find all the opinions on horns are great to hear and read because they help people find starting places in their searches for horns. There are just so many out there. In the end, I think you have to play a lot of them, and your tastes may change over time. It is great fun to try other horns at times if you feel something lacking in the one you play or just want to experiment. It can get expensive, though, and unfortunately sometimes the only way to try is buy. (I have done that too both good and bad.)
Good luck sorting it out and thanks for getting people to compare the horns.

Never tried a Schilke but always wanted to. The new HC models are grabbing my eye...
Daniel Barenboim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Bach vs Yamaha vs Monette Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
swinks wrote:

You are more likely to see a unicorn than a Monette in a big orchestra these days.

DB
Kanstul1525

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'feel' of the trumpet is most important, isn't it? Sound, too, of course. But the trumpet must respond as an extension of the player.
Johnny Ware's 1975 Yamaha Custom Bb
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Bach vs Yamaha vs Monette Reply with quote

Daniel Barenboim wrote:
cheiden wrote:
swinks wrote:

You are more likely to see a unicorn than a Monette in a big orchestra these days.

DB

DB,

Why do you think that is?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: