• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Colin's Flexibilities exercise on page 10.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stanislav234

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:21 am    Post subject: Colin's Flexibilities exercise on page 10. Reply with quote

I think there may be some mistakes in the book, so i want you to clarify these things for me. In the exercise 4, at the end of the first line i see Bb above the staff with no given fingering – "0". How i'm supposed to play this?

Same with another ones: A with "2" fingering, Ab with "1" and G with "12". I starting to think that i'm understanding this exercise in the wrong way.
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Colin book had a lot of mistakes. However the ones you speak of are not some of them. Those are called “alternate fingerings.” The note will come out but it may be out of tune. You will particularly see alternate fingerings often in flexibility books.
robas92

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject: Coins Exercise Reply with quote

The first exercise with the high Bb being 0 is correct. That particular note is also 0 in the overtone series. Start on third space C and slur up to high C. Bb is there. On all brass instruments, the higher the pitch the more alternative fingerings there.

As far as the other notes go, I think the copying rushed to print and made mistakes. It was probably done by a non-trumpeter. I always just play the normal fingerings.

On a side note, pedal C can be played open with practice. Once I learned to do it, it was a hoot. I have gotten down to the G below that. Almost makes you want a 4 valve Bb, LOL!!

Happy Practicing!!!
Kanstul 920 Piccolo
Blessing 154 RT Flugelhorn

Robert A. Smith

--More horns than I can count!!
----------------------
Do, or do not, there is no try!!--Yoda
Stanislav234

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys! I've never practiced alternate fingerings before, and all of these things was quite unfamiliar for me. Probably because my high range is lacking and i don't play up there that often.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: