• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

the C emerges

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Here come the ten foot tall bar-room brawlers through the computer screen. Let’s remember we play trumpet and not bust doors down hunting terrorists...well...I might do a little of both.

And this is why I don’t post much in the last ten years. I thought John’s comments were very thought out and provide a good foundation for some feedback on the matter of physical attributes and trumpet playing. And if they weren’t, there’s a better way to respectfully disagree.

Whether you agree or not is your right but calling someone ignorant is bold through a computer screen. I am curious if you would say that to his face or to mine if we were in a room together.

And yes, I just exchanged emails with one former MF lead player who stays away from this site due to the nastiness, and “experts”. In my time in the military I have seen quite a few bullies but nothing compared to the experts on this site.

Please feel free to message, call, or come see me in FL.
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slawdog - you must be from the south, that’s a distinctly southern dish haha.
I dont think the guys a Tush-hog but THE internet really doesn’t always bring out the best impressions.
At least he did post examples of his playing which is vastly more than I have seen most do, even those selling this type of instruction. Also to give him his due as he points out these notes can be achieved without a lot of power or air (I remember the 1st time I heard Jim Manley do pp doubles with perfect ease, my jaw dropped) but in a performance setting he bears down quite a bit more and uses big boy support. I heard Jerry Callet hit pitches almost as high with some ease. I seen guys use wig settings and do it.

I agree that ‘ignorant’ is probably not a good choice of words but I think he and John were using different contexts. I may be mistaken but I took trumpetplanet to mean that the pitch can be produced with little air, and John meant that the normally accepted richer sound for hi register required a degree of strength and air support. If I’m correct in my assumption about their points, then they are both correct. If I have their intent bass ackward then I think both are wrong but I dont know manure.
I’m quitting this, as I said before to Lionel and the guy who had the equipment AHA write it down, I need it.
Rod
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having done a great many clinics and festivals around the country, I find that the biggest hurdle players with range, pitch, and power issues (which, unfortunately, is most trumpeters) is the existing sound concept. In recent decades, we've become accustomed to and accepting of a cloudy, billowy, spread, uncentered, dull, out-of-tune trumpet sound. So much so that when a student hears a powerful, focused, centered, and in tune trumpet sound they are typically quite surprised by the big difference.

I realize that most trumpeters consider sound concept a matter of personal taste. That's the reason sound concept is such a hurdle. Everyone thinks theirs is valid. Unfortunately, the more you practice with a spread, fluffy, unfocused sound the more you work against yourself. And the more you work against the chops then the more you have to blow hard which spreads the chops, decreases power, and wonks intonation even more. It's difficult to move the ears out of the comfort zone they've become accustomed to. It's a big hurdle that most trumpeters never get over.
trumpetplanet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am aware that it's generally unfair to call people ignorant, but you should know that I only said it because I do know who I'm talking to. JM is a long standing user of this board needs to be called out when making claims that someone's physical size affects their natural ability to play high notes on the instrument. It's just not true.

I'm also very conscious of the fact that many good players are driven off of this board by people who don't give them the respect that they deserve. Lynn Nicholson is a classic example of someone who gave up chatting here because people wouldn't believe the things he teaches.

https://neotericbrass.com/
https://trumpetpla.net/
https://tonguecontrolled.info/
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of calling down further remonstrations, perhaps the concept to consider strengthwise is our aerobic capacity or VO2Max, and strength to weight ratio, which does not limit capabilities to linebackers.

Going back to John's original comment, he explicitly names several slimmer monsters of the mouthpiece, and I did not detect any bias toward the bulkier denizens of the brass section.

In addition to lip slurs, long tones, pedals, 19/30s, or whatever approach one pursues to extend range, I also suggest running two miles every morning (tongue in cheek, lest those who take the words "running" and "miles" too literally take offense). Being in shape is good for every aspect of life, above-the-staff ability included.
Jerry Freedman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a trumpet playing friend with a double C that could peel paint and a gorgeous PPP and one useable long with asthma for the other. I have asthma too and I have to be careful with deep breaths and the Gordon lung emptying exercises. It's more technique than strength. Natalie Dungee (sp?) an Adam Rapa student with several youtube posts was playing high Gs as a 12 year old girl
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tptguy wrote:
Having done a great many clinics and festivals around the country, I find that the biggest hurdle players with range, pitch, and power issues (which, unfortunately, is most trumpeters) is the existing sound concept. In recent decades, we've become accustomed to and accepting of a cloudy, billowy, spread, uncentered, dull, out-of-tune trumpet sound. So much so that when a student hears a powerful, focused, centered, and in tune trumpet sound they are typically quite surprised by the big difference.

I realize that most trumpeters consider sound concept a matter of personal taste. That's the reason sound concept is such a hurdle. Everyone thinks theirs is valid. Unfortunately, the more you practice with a spread, fluffy, unfocused sound the more you work against yourself. And the more you work against the chops then the more you have to blow hard which spreads the chops, decreases power, and wonks intonation even more. It's difficult to move the ears out of the comfort zone they've become accustomed to. It's a big hurdle that most trumpeters never get over.

So you are saying that I am just not hearing in the ‘modern way’??
Do you think this trend is due to digital music where tone and timbre and intonation is key and all you have to do is make the correct pitch so the engineers can tweek it?? If you can post a single example of a player playing lyrically (read beautifully) using TCE, then I will give your words some consideration. I was at the West Chester show a few years ago (where I bought a SIMA) and ITG last year in the Eclipse booth next to you for 2 days last year and didn’t hear my concept of good upper register work by anyone playing TCE, and I payed attention. The ability to produce a pitch using TCE is amazing and I applaud the method for striking a pitch, but that is where it falls flat to me and in a big way. Attacks are usually not right on pitch, all are overly articulated and sound strident and to me not pleasant.

One of the prominent big band leaders said that if it dont sound good it ain’t good, and that’s about all you can say about sound. I’m not sure who you listen to but the description of a billowy, spread, unfocused and out of tune does not describe the sound from a good trumpet player in the upper register but someone who is working toward getting their range surrounded, how do your unfinished students sound. Jim Manley, Lewis Dowedsel (sp), Alan Viisutti all use air and have a vibrant sound and a lot of support and let their lips vibrate in a resonant manner. This is the sound I want to take out and play for people. Yes people want this rich vibrant resonant tone in the upper register and I have never heard it from TCE. But they do ‘hit’ the notes and for some that may be enough. As for intonation, listen to the attack on notes and tell me they are in tune, may be I just never heard it done. Articulation as written, not a chance of that. These are just my opinions and as you’ve written opinions vary.
Rod
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people got their backs up here, it's pretty silly!

Rich called John's premise ignorant, not John himself. I'm sure JM's skin is thick enough to take this verbal assault. He's been called worse on here and usually a good enough sport to reply without ad hominem attacks.

There's a fine line between censorship and free speech. I think you should be able call someone's premise "ignorant" all day long so long as you are willing to enter into debate and support your argument with some factual evidence.

Lynn didn't leave here because someone called his ideas ignorant, it was more disrespectful and consistent than that.

As for the topic at hand, CG works for some and those devoted to developing the upper register with sheer wind power and strength, sure, it could help to be big and strong. It's not the only way to play with a full sound or a big upper register.

If it is true that being big and relatively strong helps develop blowing strength, then that is precisely what impeeded my own upper register development.

Take what works, drop the rest, don't continue to back the losing horse and keep her lit. The answers are out there, keep looking for em, keep doing what works and don't mention the dreaded "i" word.

As for the TCE sound/Rich's playing. I've heard him in person and he has a very fine sound and command of the instrument. You can prefer a different sound, but it's demonstrably not bad or thin. There's quite a few more TCE guys with real big sounds, you just gotta look for them... Mac Gollehon has a huge sound. Bahb Civiletti too. Some symphony guys playing TCE as well!

I've no wish to be involved in mud slinging, but the power of reasoned debate is slowly ebbing away as people demand/enforce the right to not be offended. I usually learn something about myself when I analyse why I feel offended. It's not always bad!

Best to all here - keep on keepin on. All on the same team and all that...

Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod, in three separate posts you have taken negative shots at someone's playing here, and hid behind the old "it's just my opinion" excuse.

Just stop.

I suspect that your perspective cannot be changed, so I won't even try. Stereotypes are easy to fall into, but are almost always traps which keep us from seeing the bigger picture.

Trumpets and trumpet playing are already an endangered species. Taking "ignorant" shots at each other's playing here just helps to speed up the extinction.

Jeff
MF Fan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If one method always worked for everyone that tried it, there would be only one method out there. There are basic principles to brass playing that do generally work for everyone, e.g. relaxed inhalation, maintain good posture, no tension in the upper chest/throat, etc. Beyond that different people will find varying degrees of success with any given "method." Upstream guys tend to do better with Costello, but won't find as much success with Maggio/Gordon due to the use of pedal tones, etc. Even those are generalizations that don't hold try in every case. Everyone brings a unique physical structure to the horn, dental structure, jaw configuration, etc. being some of the most significant in my opinion. For that reason some approaches, models, etc. seem to result in varying degrees of success. To call-out one as being better than another may be true for an individual, to say the same is true in general for everyone else is foolish. Make sure you're adhering to the basic principles, and then do what works best for you.
Holton MF3
Lead Trumpet - My Basement Jazz Orchestra

Last edited by MF Fan on Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetteacher1 wrote:
Rod, in three separate posts you have taken negative shots at someone's playing here, and hid behind the old "it's just my opinion" excuse.

Just stop.

I suspect that your perspective cannot be changed, so I won't even try. Stereotypes are easy to fall into, but are almost always traps which keep us from seeing the bigger picture.

Trumpets and trumpet playing are already an endangered species. Taking "ignorant" shots at each other's playing here just helps to speed up the extinction.

Jeff

Jeff, when I say in my opinion I am simply stating that it is MY view and that it may not be that of others. Make no mistake I do not like the sound of TCE or at least have not heard anyone use it in a way I thought musical. That is a statement not an opinion and there is no hiding. The reason I say MY Opinion is that I understand that my view may not be everyone’s as demonstrated by TCE devotees.

As far as using CG techniques I am not a devotee either, much more work than I feel is necessary. I think your feelings on my perspective may be incorrect. I am much more into Jim Manley’s approach which does use low wind power to teach the knack and feel and where coordination is needed. But that is just a way to teach how to attain a powerful upper register. I am very much into learning techniques which make this powerful resonant upper register easier, but not at the cost of good sound.

It was never my intention to sling mud at an individual, just my observation about how a particular technique did not match up to my idea of good sound in any player i have heard. I’m sorry if you felt I was hiding behind anything, I was just saying I dont like the sound and offering it as an alternative to a resonant hi register using adequate wind using whatever technique to move the lips doesn’t float with me.

I thought even hacks like me got to have an ‘opinion’.
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod, you have now repeated yourself four times.

From my perspective, each time you dig the hole deeper. You have accepted a stereotype about ALL Callet-influenced players, and through selective hearing you are convinced that you are right.

Apparently you don't think that my ears are as good as yours. My orchestral and commercial students would disagree.

Yes, you are entitled to an opinion. But a continuous pounding of that opinion, as if continuously repeating it will make you right, actually makes you look dogmatic.

I never said anything about CG. Why you brought that up is anyone's guess.

For a self-professed "hack," you sure post a lot of "strong" opinions.

Jeff

Last edited by trumpetteacher1 on Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod, give this a listen and report back.

Link

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard Jerry Callet and Bob Civiletti in person. Both are powerful and accurate. I understand that as Jerry has moved into his mid 80's he's not quite as powerful and accurate as he was when I heard him over 20 years ago. I believe Jerry is 87 or 88. Age will do that to the best of us. I was once able to run a mile in 5 minutes. At 62 I couldn't do that if I was running downhill with the wind at my back while being chased by a bear.
I've never heard Mac G in person but from the videos I've seen on YT he sounds pretty damn good to me.
TCE or whatever it's called these days works for some and not for others. The same could be said for Gordon, Maggio, Stevens etc.
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theslawdawg wrote:
Wow. Here come the ten foot tall bar-room brawlers through the computer screen. Let’s remember we play trumpet and not bust doors down hunting terrorists...well...I might do a little of both.

And this is why I don’t post much in the last ten years. I thought John’s comments were very thought out and provide a good foundation for some feedback on the matter of physical attributes and trumpet playing. And if they weren’t, there’s a better way to respectfully disagree.

Whether you agree or not is your right but calling someone ignorant is bold through a computer screen. I am curious if you would say that to his face or to mine if we were in a room together.

And yes, I just exchanged emails with one former MF lead player who stays away from this site due to the nastiness, and “experts”. In my time in the military I have seen quite a few bullies but nothing compared to the experts on this site.

Well said sir!!!!

I was a USAF pilot for 24 years. My peers were all people of high accomplishment and performance. Contrary to the stereotypes, the vast majority were very respectful to others. The higher the rank, experience, and accomplishment; the higher the level of humility. Humble, but strong and competent. Willing to admit error and very slow to criticize. When criticism was needed it was private. Imperfect people for sure, but the drive to excel always overcame the desire to be an expert. We could use that approach on Internet forums.

I have scratched my range out from zero. I came back to trumpet 17 years ago after a 20+ year gap due to failure to develop range above the staff in high school. I have performed DHCs in concerts, and next week will be playing the “Send in the Clowns” solo from the Kenton 76 Album.......hopefully playing it reasonable well. I am an honest High G/A AMATEUR player—meaning a pro can do what I do for three times as long with much fewer errors.

My biggest improvements come from playing high a lot but working to never strain, relaxing and backing off, and putting the horn down when I am going sideways, and smart and consistent practice sessions.
Flip Oakes Flugel

Harrelson 5mm MP
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

INTJ wrote:
theslawdawg wrote:

Well said sir!!!!

I was a USAF pilot for 24 years. My peers were all people of high accomplishment and performance. Contrary to the stereotypes, the vast majority were very respectful to others. The higher the rank, experience, and accomplishment; the higher the level of humility. Humble, but strong and competent. Willing to admit error and very slow to criticize. When criticism was needed it was private. Imperfect people for sure, but the drive to excel always overcame the desire to be an expert. We could use that approach on Internet forums.

I have scratched my range out from zero. I came back to trumpet 17 years ago after a 20+ year gap due to failure to develop range above the staff in high school. I have performed DHCs in concerts, and next week will be playing the “Send in the Clowns” solo from the Kenton 76 Album.......hopefully playing it reasonable well. I am an honest High G/A AMATEUR player—meaning a pro can do what I do for three times as long with much fewer errors.

My biggest improvements come from playing high a lot but working to never strain, relaxing and backing off, and putting the horn down when I am going sideways, and smart and consistent practice sessions.

Hoo-Yah, Air Force! Despite the fact you guys almost dropped a bomb on my head (man, that was loud), I thank you for having us covered up top. All the best, Jr
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theslawdawg wrote:
INTJ wrote:
theslawdawg wrote:

Well said sir!!!!

Hoo-Yah, Air Force! Despite the fact you guys almost dropped a bomb on my head (man, that was loud), I thank you for having us covered up top. All the best, Jr

Ha! I make a good guess as to what your job was and maybe even where you were. Coordination in combat is critical. Thanks getting in there where it was nasty. And you guys helped up top as well.
Flip Oakes Flugel

Harrelson 5mm MP
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bach_again wrote:

Link

Frankly other than hearing slurs (that’s what Baroque trumpets do right?), this audio to me emphasizes the points I made earlier. An amazing performance, and I am glad to have heard it but I had to force myself to listen to it from beginning to end. As I have said many times, just not a sound I like or would choose to listen to. I do however admire the expertise and ability required to do it.

And Jeff, had I realized you were a TCE player I would not have tried to explain my comments as I did, I simply thought you did not understand what I was saying as I am sometimes not as articulate as I would like to be and comprehension is also a variable issue. And I am sorry if Ive formed my views of TCE based on what I hear from Jerrys students and the few recordings Ive heard, please let me know if there is a better way. The reason I mentioned the CG system is that was a component of what John was talking about in the post that trumpetplanet objected to (that was clear had you read the entire thread). I will be happy to change my views given demonstration that shows me I am incorrect. And I never said anything about your ears, only mine. You seem a bit ‘touchy’ about this.
Rod
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
bach_again posted:

I will concede that the player, whoever it is, is much better than I am. I would be pleased to play that well. The video started out very nicely. However, there is something about the articulation or phrasing that doesn’t appeal to me, for example at the :42 - :45 mark and again at the 1:00 minute mark. The playing is very good, but for me, less than the ideal approach. For purposes of comparison, this is for me the ideal approach and sound (on a different piece, but in the Baroque style):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrIrK85ypws

I prefer the articulations much better in this second clip.

Of course, this is simply my opinion. Right now, I am working very diligently to sound as good as the player in the recording that Bach_again posted and, as I say, I would be quite gratified to reach that level of proficiency. I am not willing to admit it to myself, but I am not likely to every reach that goal.

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is sooo stereotypical. One player starts talking about how he's gained some range, and the thread degenerates into players pissing on each other. Insert "joke" about trumpet players screwing in a light bulb line here... Supportive, not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: