• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Conn Cornet

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malden

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Conn Cornet Reply with quote

Can someone identify the model of this Conn 1931 cornet? It looks like an 80A but I am not sure. Thanks

Cheers

Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look on the bottom of the mouthpiece receiver - the model # may be stamped there. Otherwise, measure the bore size - the 80A will have a .484 bore, while similar-looking Conns will have a smaller bore.
Sturmbill
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do what Dale suggested. This might help as well:

https://cderksen.home.xs4all.nl/ConnLooksCornet.html
malden

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Dale and Sturmbill

It is an 80A. And since it is pre-50s make it will need a special short shank mouthpiece? A Conn 4 was provided.

My other options are Curry special order, Wick stock mps, and any vintage pieces I can find. What about the Yamaha or Stork short shank mps for cornet?

Cheers
bnsd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your impression of the Conn 4? I bought a used cornet that came with the Conn 4 and found it to be TERRIBLE for a cornet sound. Totally trumpet like (with all the range associated), and really not pleasant because of it.

I've tried a couple other pieces, and they all sound and feel better. I finally landed on a Curry 3TC and I love it. Big sound (or soft when called for), consistent intonation, and "enough" range to handle everything except lead playing
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore anything you've heard about needing special mouthpieces. Everything works in the magic 80A. Play what sounds best for the type of music you are playing.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Conn 4 exterior is smooth without a step in it, then it is an older Conn "short shank" piece. If it does have the step, then it's a newer one and has a modern cornet taper. The older 4 is actually a bit more shallow than the later 4. I don't like either one - they're too small and give the 80A a brighter sound. While a lot of modern cornet mouthpieces wobble a little in my 1954 80A, I've found the the Wick and Stork short shank cornet pieces don't. Of course, with horns this old, there can be significant receiver wear, which also affects the fit.
malden

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale,

It is the stepped modern Conn 4 and there was a modern cornet Bach 7C in the box as well. The receiver looks to be reamed out a bit from their use though this horn is a real closest queen, amazingly, its almost in new condition.

The Stock 5 rim is pretty good for me, probably to be paired with A or A+ cup. The Wick 5 would be a place to start but I have never tried one. Are the Yamaha short shanks out of the question?

Cheers
fabiopereirabr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Conn Cornet Reply with quote

Looks like a conn 38a Victor, a kind of small bore 80a

https://cderksen.home.xs4all.nl/Conn38A1936image.html
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

malden wrote:
Dale,

It is the stepped modern Conn 4 and there was a modern cornet Bach 7C in the box as well. The receiver looks to be reamed out a bit from their use though this horn is a real closest queen, amazingly, its almost in new condition.

The Stock 5 rim is pretty good for me, probably to be paired with A or A+ cup. The Wick 5 would be a place to start but I have never tried one. Are the Yamaha short shanks out of the question?

Cheers

I've not tried a Yamaha short-shank, so I can't comment on those. My '54 80A came with the original mouthpiece, so I can compare its fit with modern pieces. The original Conn mouthpiece seats correctly when lightly placing it in the receiver. Modern cornet mouthpieces like the stepped Conn, Bach, Schilke, etc. wobble a bit when lightly inserted, but will firm up if you use some twisting force (not good to do). I don't use the 80A very much, as most of my playing requires either a trumpet or short cornet. It is a decent instrument, though, sort of a hybrid cornet/trumpet to my ears. It seems that the sound can be tailored a little by using either the large "A" tuning slide or the opera glass tuner, or a combination of the two. Like many have said, it makes a nice jazz-type instrument.

kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I and use a Curry VC (Vintage Cornet Series) mouthpiece on it. I believe the shank defaults to short-shank. Check it out: http://www.currympc.com/index.php?id=49

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Dieter Z
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of my cornet mouthpieces fit my '47 Conn 80A well, that is: Wick, Yamaha, Sparx and ACB short shank. The only one that has a slight wobble is a ACB long shank cornet mouthpiece.
B&S Challenger II 3137 rl
Buescher 400 - 225 (WWII)
Benge 90C
Eastman 540 D/Eb
ACB Fluegelhorn
Selmer Picc
ACB mouthpieces for most of my playing
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem to have a grasp of the mpc vagaries of the old Conns.

Yes, most mpcs can “work.”

Yes, a lot of old Conn cornets have a receiver that has been abused with mpcs that are too large.

If the receiver is correct, the proper shank can improve some old Conns. I have the same Curry VC piece in the regular short shank and in the Conn short shank – the proper shank is notably better on a ‘41 36A and a ‘48 80A.

A surprising piece that came to me is a Stork 2CR-C. It has an extremely short shank with a taper so narrow that the mpc firmly inserts all the way up to the top of the shank (before it tapers in, before tapering out to form the exterior of the bowl) – right up to what I call the shoulder of the shank. I don’t know how much loss of contact there is between the receiver and the shank throughout its length, but it’s the mpc that I gig with on the 80A. I use LeFreqs on most of my mpcs.

I’ve gotten two (old, smooth-shank) Conn 4’s with old cornets. They seemed to be useless for me but I finally drilled out a throat (what Stork refers to as, the “bore”) a few steps (can’t remember how much and am too lazy to get up to check – probably to a #23). The tone is still not what I normally would want but now it feels OK to play.

It could be the perspective/distortion of your photo, but it appears that the valve buttons are mismatched. If so, you’re likely to have significant valve alignment problems.

There are differing opinions on the best utilization of the Opera Glass. I’ve settled on opening it just a crack and using the main slide for all tuning.

-Denny
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the two Stork short-shank cornet mouthpieces I own insert into most of my cornets all the way to the widest part of the shank. They do seem to seat well in my old 80A. I too like my 80A with the opera glass opened about 1/8" and the rest of the tuning pull on the large tuning slide.
malden

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It could be the perspective/distortion of your photo, but it appears that the valve buttons are mismatched. If so, you’re likely to have significant valve alignment problems.

Looks like the valves need to be redone on this horn. It had been relacquered in the past and that well done, but the valves are shot. Pity because it is a lovely horn with zero other faults, no dents, no rot, structure very sound and plays nicely.

Its a 1931 horn, no identifying marks but a .484 bore, so it is probably a 82A.

I have been quoted $500 for the valve job, not sure if I will do it as I have other very nice instruments to play.

The upside to the story is that it came with a perfect vintage 1930s alligator case that was worth what I paid for the horn. Funny how things work out.

Thanks for your collective advice as always

Cheers
malden

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to do the valve job on this horn. In 3-5 weeks will have it back. Fingers crossed. It was in too nice condition to leave with sickly valves.

Cheers
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a commitment - hope you like it when it's done.
malden

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Gulp, so do I. I have been looking for a great 30s vintage 80A for awhile now. This is the cleanest, best looking and playing I have seen. So...it needs valves.
Unless you find a real impossible dream closet queen, there is always something to do on these real old horns.

Cheers
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

malden wrote:
Quote:

Gulp, so do I. I have been looking for a great 30s vintage 80A for awhile now. This is the cleanest, best looking and playing I have seen. So...it needs valves.
Unless you find a real impossible dream closet queen, there is always something to do on these real old horns.

Cheers

You should be rewarded with an exceedingly well-built, fairly versatile instrument which is a load of fun to play.

Denny
malden

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Quote:
You should be rewarded with an exceedingly well-built, fairly versatile instrument which is a load of fun to play. 

I received the 1931 Conn 82A back with its newly replated valves and it is nothing short of a joy to play. I am very glad to have made the effort for this horn. It is in immaculate shape and now it plays up to the level of its looks. What a fun horn!

I ordered a Curry BBC with the Conn shank and I am looking forward to playing this combination greatly. The Yamaha short shank does not play nearly as well as the original Conn 4 that came with the horn. Having acquired a Curry BBC on an Olds shank, I have learned what a difference it can make for these vintage cornets to have the proper shank. My vintage Olds sing with the Curry BBC mouthpiece made for them!

Thanks for all the advice…

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: